It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top US general promises no changes in military transgender policy for now

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I see your rhetoric citation and raise you several facts citations:

Gender reassignment surgery--a 13 year review of surgical outcomes
PURPOSE: The aim of this study is to thoroughly report on surgical outcomes from 332 patients who underwent male to female gender reassignment surgery (GRS).

MATERIAL AND METHODS: Records from 332 patients who underwent GRS from 1995 to 2008 were reviewed. All patients were submitted to penile inversion vaginoplasty with glans-derived sensate clitoroplasty. Mean age was 36.7 years (range 19-68 years). Surgical complications were stratified in 5 main groups: genital region, urinary tract, gastrointestinal events, wound healing disorders and unspecific events.

RESULTS: Progressive obstructive voiding disorder due to meatal stenosis was the main complication observed in 40% of the patients, feasibly corrected during the second setting. Stricture recurrence was found in 15%. Stricture of vaginal introitus was observed in 15% of the cases followed by 12% and 8% of vaginal stenosis and lost of vaginal depth, respectively. Rectal injury was seen in 3% and minor wound healing disorders in 33% of the subjects.

CONCLUSION: Regarding male to female GRS, a review of the current literature demonstrated scarce description of complications and their treatment options. These findings motivated a review of our surgical outcomes. Results showed a great number of adverse events, although functionality preserved. Comparision of our outcomes with recent publications additionally showed that treatment options provide satisfying results. Moreover, outcomes reaffirm penile inversion vaginoplasty in combination with glans-derived sensate clitoroplasty as a safe technique. Nevertheless, discussing and improving surgical techniques in order to reduce complications and their influence on patient's quality of life is still strongly necessary and theme of our future reports.

Sex Reassignment Surgery: When Things Go Wrong
My Surgeon Doesn't Know How to Fix It
Then, seemingly, neither does anyone else. My SRS surgeon attempted to fix the two-inch tear in my colon while I was still there, the repair failed in less than twelve hours. Next, a colon-rectal surgeon was found in the nearest large city and brought in to look at me. He aborted his attempt to repair the defect and instead, performed a full colostomy.

I flew home to Michigan with a bag attached to my abdomen and thick pads between my legs to soak up the blood.

A local colon-rectal surgeon, persuaded to see me by my primary care physician, was upbeat. Each time I went into surgery with him he would encourage me, saying "this time we'll get it". Coming out of surgery, my spouse Cindy would hear from him how well it went and that he was "optimistic this time" the closure would take and a new defect would not open up.

Another surgeon who has had some success with other fistula patients seemed promising, but eight months later, under the pressure of a barium test, that repair too, failed.

I have had stitch-overs, mucosal flap advancements, and pelvic floor muscle mobilization; each new approach diminishes what viable tissue I have for another attempt. I have tried to go into every surgery with a realistic outlook; multiple failures however, become difficult to bear.

Still, I am one of the fortunate ones with this complication; I stand a chance, albeit small, for an eventually favorable outcome. Many transwoman are not able to find a colon-rectal surgeon who is willing to work on a transperson, much less "someone else's problem", nor do all of us have the means.

Even if you are fortunate enough to locate a doctor--and in my case, privileged to have insurance and financial means to cover remedial procedures, then there is still only a slim chance for alleviation of this humiliating and debilitating condition. One surgeon, out of frustration no doubt, finally washed his hands of me saying, "well, you did this to yourself".

Who Are The Ideal Candidates For Sex Change Surgery?
The patient must have good Body Mass Index. Their weight divided by the square of their height should give a value between 20 and 25. Being overweight won't necessarily exclude a person from surgery, but a stable weight category definitely helps as the excess fat tissue in and around the operating area of the patients body only adds to the surgeon’s troubles.

The patient must not have any sort of a bleeding disorder, high cholesterol, high BP, obesity, arthritis, diabetes, severe allergies, coronary and pulmonary diseases and severe depression.

The patient needs to have a positive outlook and realistic expectations as no surgery is perfect. For example, many people who undergo Surgeries involving the Breast tissue start regretting it a few weeks after the surgery seeing the red, swollen area but they must understand that all this will eventually pass.

What To Do Before A Sex Change Surgery?
-Gender identification is the first, most essential part of the procedure. The transperson has to identify themselves as belonging to either of the 2 sexes and hence undergo the procedure in order to become more like that sex to maximum possibility. The identification can be done by themselves after reaching a certain mental maturity or should be done by the doctors even when the Trans babies are born.

-At the very start, when the trans person first goes to consultation, he/she has to introspect within themselves and be doubtlessly sure that they want to undergo the procedure as a procedure like vaginoplasty is irreversible. A person entering into such a procedure without appropriate forethought, will be emotionally and psychologically overwhelmed after.

-Like all other major surgeries, this surgery too demands a decent medical history and the surgeons will be very sure to ask for it.
-Like all other major surgeries, this surgery too demands a decent medical history and the surgeons will be very sure to ask for it.

-The patient will have to quit smoking a few weeks prior to surgery as nicotine slows down the recovery. Patients needing nipple grafts should not consider smoking at all as nipple tissue is extremely sensitive to Nicotine and the graft might get rejected otherwise.

...CONTINUED...

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
...CONTINUED...

What Is The Post Operative Care For Sex Change Surgery?
Male To Female Surgery Care:

After 3 days in the hospital for the surgery, for the recovery time, the patient has to stay in the area for 10 to 12 days.

The patient can perform light work in 4 to 6 weeks. Strenuous work and exercise can begin by 6 to 8 weeks.

Dilation (stretching the vagina walls periodically) should be done as per the surgeon's after care instructions, with a frequency of twice a week till 13 weeks.

A good dilator that is large and comfortably fits inside the vagina should be used.

The vagina should be douched (cleaned in a particular way) as per surgeon’s instructions.

Painkillers according to the surgeon's prescription should be administered in the different stages of healing after the gender reassignment.

Female To Male Surgery Care:

After 2 days in the hospital, the patient will have to stay in the area for about 5 to 6 days.

Small work can be resumed in 2 weeks. More strenuous exercise can only be started after 4 to 6 weeks.

A compression binder might have to be worn during the recovery stages for 6 weeks. It primarily depends on the surgeon's advice.

There will be less than moderate pain after surgery for a few weeks depending on how the surgery was done. This will be taken care of by the surgeon who will prescribe necessary painkillers.

Sutures in the top surgery will be removed in about a week.

What Are The Realistic Expectations From A Sex Change Surgery?
Sex change is not a short term procedure. While the surgery lasts only a few hours, the duration for a complete sex change, in both psychological and physical terms, can take upto a few years. Gender is a prime identity of any individual, it defines his/her preferences, lifestyle, habits, and so on. Hence, the decision to undergo the surgery should be taken with much consideration.

While more than 97% individuals undergoing the surgery find gender reassignment results satisfactory, it is best to be sure about the resulting effect of the treatment before undergoing it.

Since the surgery is irreversible and lasts for a lifetime, you should consult in detail with your doctor whether you are an ideal candidate for the surgery.

The procedure is ideally suited for two types of individuals; for those who were not biologically assigned a gender at birth, or those who do not feel comfortable with their current sex. Generally, such people do not wish to be associated with the gender that they biologically posses or have a gender dysphoria.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: RomeByFire

Since the two of you had roughly the same response to the same quote back to back, that was directed at the both of you and everyone else that agreed.

And I'm not Alt-Right, I'm Alt/Alt.

You directly replied to my quote and (magically) know more about my personal life and beliefs than I myself do.

Quite aware it was directly related at me, hence why I reminded you that you literally know nothing about me.

Color of my skin? How long is my hair? Middle name? Where did I grow up?

But you just "know," that "I defend radical Islam to the death."

You do realize by perpetuating baseless garbage like that, that's all you're going to get in return, right?

How's it go again. "Stupid prizes," and all.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

None of that has anything to do with transgenders being in the military and able to serve adequately. You trying to drown me in information about trans struggles doesn't magically validate your reasoning on keeping them out of the military. It just makes you look like an asshole who uses one struggle in a minority community to promote another struggle in the same minority community.
edit on 27-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: RomeByFire

Since the two of you had roughly the same response to the same quote back to back, that was directed at the both of you and everyone else that agreed.

And I'm not Alt-Right, I'm Alt/Alt.

I don't care what you call yourself. You present yourself as an alt-right conservative liberal hater every time you post. I have literally NEVER seen you speak to a liberal with respect towards their argument or positions. It is beyond obvious you are one of the biggest conservative partisans on this website.

Because most of the time I come into a thread and challenge you and your buddies you literally exit the thread (and say so while you do it).

There are several around I respect, talk to like buddies, some I havent seen lately.

One of the trans members is one of my favorite people to read and see around the site.

But with you liberal lot the vast bulk of you are clearly all in on the SJW type BS identity politics. And I am the antithesis of identity politics.

The day will come, if the Alt-Right Identity Politicos do rise they'll come to want to piano wire me like the rest of you, which as long as you guys push on with your anti-white anti-western civiliation agenda they'll surely have their day and then they'll get on my nerves too. And if that day comes just remember is was because you your SJW Agenda that they ever existed in the first place. And at least in their case it was some logical merit being self-preservation. Your SJW Agenda was only ever about tearing our social fabric apart. And to do it you're even holding up your LGBT contingent as the sacrificial lambs. And you know it. Deep down you know it just as well as I do.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

None of that has anything to do with transgenders being in the military and able to serve adequately. You trying to drown me in information about trans struggles doesn't magically validate your reasoning on keeping them out of the military. It just makes you look like an asshole who uses one struggle in a minority community to promote another struggle in the same minority community.

How about what a combat vet has to say?

www.dailywire.com...]Source

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

They will stand up for trans folk (because it is lucrative), but there is not a peep when it comes to those with IBS or chronic arthritis.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Because most of the time I come into a thread and challenge you and your buddies you literally exit the thread (and say so while you do it).

Duh. It's because I don't like you and the way you talk to people by assuming most of their argument for them. Talking to you is annoying and aggravating because I spend more time correcting you and deflecting your childish insults than actually having an intelligent conversation. Real talk. That's why I actively ignore you on most occasions since there isn't an ignore feature on ATS.

There are several around I respect, talk to like buddies, some I havent seen lately.

One of the trans members is one of my favorite people to read and see around the site.

But with you liberal lot the vast bulk of you are clearly all in on the SJW type BS identity politics. And I am the antithesis of identity politics.

Here's what I'm talking about. "liberal lot". "SJW type BS identity politics". This # is why I ignore you. You care more about idiotic labels then any depth to your rhetoric and opinions.

The day will come, if the Alt-Right Identity Politicos do rise they'll come to want to piano wire me like the rest of you, which as long as you guys push on with your anti-white anti-western civiliation agenda they'll surely have their day and then they'll get on my nerves too. And if that day comes just remember is was because you your SJW Agenda that they ever existed in the first place. And at least in their case it was some logical merit being self-preservation. Your SJW Agenda was only ever about tearing our social fabric apart. And to do it you're even holding up your LGBT contingent as the sacrificial lambs. And you know it. Deep down you know it just as well as I do.

More idiotic strawmen not worth talking about and have nothing to do with the thread.

Literally not a single thing you said in this post was relevant to the OP or transgenders in the military. It was all an attack on me or liberals in general. *YAWWWWN* Then you try to tell people you aren't a conservative. I'm waiting for you to attack conservatives like you do liberals for once.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If a man who swims 3 miles as a Navy seal cuts Kim John down would he be worth the operation?

This is as dumb as it gets.

Trans people should server if they qualify for duty.

The operation should not happen on active duty. It's a major event that takes a support of things that could muddy the water.

However is this an incentive? Do we need to offer this to get enough heads in the military?

Funny the media should be asking questions and explaining policy and ideas for changes but it's just hysteria from the partisan news networks.

Is a Trans person somehow better wired for certain skills? Intel, seals, mechanics?

This is not a binary problem with yes or no.

Transition is a huge deal so if it's not being used as incentive to fill a role, it should be done before or after service. I don't know that jumping out of an airplane for deployment is a good place to be going through the process. But I am not an expert.

edit on 27-7-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

How about what a combat vet has to say?

www.dailywire.com...]Source

Why do I care about that combat vet when I'm a combat vet?

Or how about this link I posted earlier in the thread from a bunch of trans soldiers/veterans?
Surprising Insider Realities Of Being Trans In The Military

Do tell me why YOUR particular combat vet's opinion is more important than my opinion or even the ones in the article I just posted.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

They will stand up for trans folk (because it is lucrative), but there is not a peep when it comes to those with IBS or chronic arthritis.

Another implication? LOL.
If they can serve then by all means let them.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How could it not be related to the topic?? It goes to establish grounds that these surgeries are a burden for members who demand special treatment due to their lifestyle choice. Burdens that have no place in the armed forces when the goal of everyone serving should be to carry out their orders and mission. If their fellow soldiers is on a medical vacation and timed it to occur before a dangerous op which they will get to conveniently sit out, I would say that qualifies as unfair favoritism towards special people by giving them an avenue to escape risk.

Of course that risk my have been preferred to having ones asshole blow out an collapse into an open mass of nastiness.
edit on 7-27-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

From the link I just posted a few posts above this one:

Jerry is a transgender man serving on active duty in the Navy. He pointed out that, first, the military isn't exactly in the business of paying for extensive surgery. "Military policy is to at least cover pharmaceutical and mental healthcare. Anything else requires serious motivation and luck ... I paid for my top surgery alone, when there are thousands of guys posting [on Reddit] every day how they didn't pay a dime for their surgery, and they're, like, baristas. (Nothing against baristas, it's just insane that I've gotten PTSD as a souvenir from overseas deployments and can't get something that someone who goes home every night smelling like delicious coffee and pastries can get with a fraction of the effort.)"

He points out that if a soldier does transition while on active duty, they're bound by very strict rules as to when they can do it: "Commanders are less likely to approve you getting surgery if you have to deploy -- which makes sense, and should be the case."

The most important fact to note about soldiers transitioning while on active duty is that it's incredibly rare. This RAND study estimates between 25 and 130 surgeries per year among active-duty personnel. Between 10 and 130 soldiers per year could experience "reduced deployability." There are currently more than 50,000 active-duty soldiers who are undeployable. The vast majority of these soldiers have short-term injuries, like torn ACLs from a basketball game gone bad. If you're worried about military readiness, pick-up football games are probably a more pressing threat than transgender people.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
How could it not be related to the topic?? It goes to establish grounds that these surgeries are a burden for members who demand special treatment due to their lifestyle choice. Burdens that have no place in the armed forces when the goal of everyone serving should be to carry out their orders and mission. If their fellow soldiers is on a medical vacation and timed it to occur before a dangerous op which they will get to conveniently sit out, I would say that qualifies as unfair favoritism towards special people by giving them an avenue to escape risk.

Of course that risk my have been preferred to having ones asshole blow out an collapse into an open mass of nastiness.

What if they are literally the best sniper in the world?

It's not exactly cut and dry.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: testingtesting
Well my defense minister Sir Michael Fallon said this about the ban.

Sir Michael Fallon has denounced Donald Trump’s ban on transgender people serving in the military, saying it was “only right” that the military opposed all forms of discrimination.

Asked about the ban, the defence secretary told The Telegraph: "No, we don't support that ban. I want our military to be completely open. It is right that the military should be equally open to anybody, irrespective of their race, their colour, their gender their sexuality. That is only right."

To me If you are truly against discrimination you can not argue that he is wrong.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

So NO discrimination for the military?

So they can't discriminate against someone who can't pass the physical examines? That is a form of discrimination (aa good one).

They can't discriminate with someone based on a disease or illness?

I mean if we take it to its absolute, logical conclusion then no. No discrimination ever. After all, cannon fodder needn't be fit for anything other than...well...getting in the way of cannons, right?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Are you aware that many transgender people choose to NOT have surgery to convert their bodies? F-to-M bind their breasts and make some other changes (and may undergo mastectomy) but few actually go through the genital surgery - for the most part it's hormones and obvious physical modifications (M-to-F shave legs, armpits, tweeze eyebrows, etc, and hormone therapy enlarges the breast. Hip pads and padding in other places to give a more feminine shape is also used. M-to-F may use exercise to bulk upper body.)

Of the (several) transgender people I know (some that I've known for over a decade), no one has had genital conversion. I understand from talking with them and from reading that genital conversion is relatively rare.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Honestly, it is best for society if we just cancel all benefits and special treatment trans people in general get for being trans. The trans-phenomenon as it has exploded starting in the latter half of the first decade of this century is clearly a social conditioning attempt by ruling powers to give those who were sexually abused as kids a way to act out against nature and deny that the blame for of at least 90% of trans people is that their family or friends molested or otherwise sexually assaulted them. This denial would probably also explain why so many are suicidal. When you run from the truth, eventually it slams harder than they can deal with, especially with hormones all scrambled up from chemical alterations of their mind and body.

The armed forces should be the last place any of these folks go to. I think it would be best if we just return to the days when they would be institutionalized until they can confront and admit the origins of their behavior from childhood abuse.

Then we can finally squash this entire epidemic within a generation and the only one left acting this way will be the usual shot out drag queens that are simply sexually hyper active like those of the ancient times and we would see the numbers drop to like one out of every ten million. Transgenderism could be cured very soon if we took these measures and the threats they pose in the military would be mitigated as a result.

OR, we could just transfer them all to the CIA. Nothing comes more natural to trans folk than being perfect liars. A very important skill to have in the field.

I am a right-leaning centrist for the record in case you want to hit me with a label.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Is that meant to be implied orrrr...?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Haha.
Sure it is...

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

2500if the number I heard is right

new topics

top topics