It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how i stopped commercial cigaretets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lizardghost

I agree with you in that there is something very bad / addictive with cigarette tobacco and I'm beginning to think cigarette addiction is much more than just habit or nicotine addiction. I believe there are other stronger mood altering things in ciggies.

Here is a link to an e-pipe www.smoktech.com...

My grandfather smoked a pipe and it had such a warm welcome aroma, nothing like the stench of cigarettes!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

pipe tobacco is so much better! its like smoking fine wine vs hampster bedding or sawdust. you will like it so much better, and you can start a briar pipe collection too and the more pipes you have the more friends you have hehe.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
+1 for e-cigs! I've quit smoking for two years now after 18 yrs. I previously tried everything else including pipe tobacco. I would still crave regular cigs constantly but still had all the negative effects of tobacco. Now i don't wake up hacking, don't have to scrub tar off my blinds, teeth are white, no more burning holes in clothes/furniture. It's saved me 1000's of dollars on average i spend 30$ a month. That's not even necessary i just like to try new stuff. You can pick up a decent mod/tank for 20$ (lasts 6+ months) a 100ml bottle of juice for 15$ (lasts a month) and 2$ per coil (lasts a week). Or you can build your coils and diy juice for literally pennies. If anyone needs help getting started let me know happy to help.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'll stick with my vaping too I think. Smoked for 40yrs and still managing to stay alive so thought I'd give myself and even better chance and knock the nicotine on the head. Started with the beginners e cig now onto sub ohming (not easy actually lol like learning to smoke all over again!) but STILL haven't quite knocked cigs on the head despite now being £10 a packet. And now of course we have all the ridiculous EU legislation for vaping too. They just can't leave owt alone.

Wish I had more will power coz I actually prefer vaping to cigs! sigh

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I have smoked a pipe for a period, and still do occasionaly have a nice old english Antique pipe, found it a bit much without filters and get sick of cleaning it though. It is much more enjoyable and ritualistic I confer.

Gave up pre packed (comercial cigarets) years ago and only smoke one of the finest grades of rolling tobacco in Australia called Port Royale it is costly at near $65 a pouch and strong too. A pouch lasts me and my partner a week and a bit depending on the week. Some days I might smoke 4-6 cigs others more. I noticed a huge diffrence with less headaches and not as much as a need to smoke since changing over from pre packed. And pre pack cigs are $30 a packet here a dollar each very expensive.

I have quit a few times for periods and tried vaping, but vaping gives me a sharp pain in chest and a weird feeling in the throat. After some thorough research I am more concerned of the by products inhaled whilst burning the vape (formaldehyde etc) and lack of regulation of vaping fluids.

Smoking tobacco goes back thousands of years and research is concrete as to the poisons and effects involved when smoking tobacco as apposed to the unknown effects of long term vaping.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am currently trying to quit with an ecig and I will say its all about the flavor you use. It takes a while to find stuff you really like, but once you do it helps a lot. I think I spent around 150$ on a pretty decent mod and tank/coil combo then I wait to holidays to shop the juice online. I spent around 100$ on the 4th of July and got enough juice to last me many many months of vaping.

One of my friends who made the switch a while back said that when he got the urge for a real cig, like after meals and when waking up, it was hard to resist at first and he would indulge. Once he couldn't get a smoke during one of those urges and all he had was the ecig. After smoking the ecig a bit and going back to work he realized he forgot all about the cigarette. I have found that to have helped me a lot. When I have a strong craving I smoke the ecig and go off and find something to do...5-10min later I realize it isn't bothering me anymore at all.

The key for me is finding a flavor or blend of flavors you really like. Mine is banana custard sugar cookie...comes out tasting like a banana cream pie with sugar cookie crust lol. There have been a few other flavors but right now that's what's really working. Also would add the tobacco flavors I've tried tend to taste horrible and don't help me want to stick to the ecig at all.

My 2 cents about the ecig thing...hope that helps someone =D

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

Some people don't do well with the pg blends. From what I've found the vg tends to not only be smoother but its much more natural and there isn't any formaldehyde. Also another thing is changing the coils often. I try to do mine weekly which keeps the wick fresh and coils clean from any corrosion. Those 2 things will help a ton.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
there is nothing wrong with tobacco. it has been used as medicine for thousands of years since the beginning of time. it is only when you take that natural medicine that the natives called it, and turn it into somthing like on steroids. i heard they enhance the nicotine 30x or somthing. awhile ago they gave a list of the chemicals added to the cigarettes and it was 599. that is alot of stuff to add. i almost think they found a loophole which allows them to add somthing phychoactive to there cigarettes, because whenever i have one i get wierd. but since i started pipe tobacco which is all natural without additives, they will flavor the leaves when it is growing to get a taste to it, but that is all. i have noticed i am no longer addicted to tobacco but only smoke pipe tobacco because i enjoy it and it helps my mental state and also helps my digestion and sleep. my theory is that it is alot like the drug chantix where you are allowed to smoke all you want for the first week on chantix and then stop smoking. well with pipe tobacco you can smoke all you want for 1-2 or 3 weeks and then stop because the addiction will be gone i think it has somthing to do with changing your nicotine recptors to a better form of nicotine that is not so modified.
edit on 27-7-2017 by lizardghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I may give Vaping another try next time I feel the urge or have to quit. Never tried many diffrent flavours, just a few my neighbour had given me and a mod I got of him. He loves his vape and has not smoked in years and swears his respitory system is so much better. It works out a $100 of juice last a few months? That is very reasonable. Do you add nicotine or by pre blended juice?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: lizardghost
there is nothing wrong with tobacco. it has been used as medicine for thousands of years since the beginning of time. it is only when you take that natural medicine that the natives called it, and turn it into somthing like on steroids. i heard they enhance the nicotine 30x or somthing. awhile ago they gave a list of the chemicals added to the cigarettes and it was 599. that is alot of stuff to add. i almost think they found a loophole which allows them to add somthing phychoactive to there cigarettes, because whenever i have one i get wierd. but since i started pipe tobacco which is all natural without additives, they will flavor the leaves when it is growing to get a taste to it, but that is all. i have noticed i am no longer addicted to tobacco but only smoke pipe tobacco because i enjoy it and it helps my mental state and also helps my digestion and sleep. my theory is that it is alot like the drug chantix where you are allowed to smoke all you want for the first week on chantix and then stop smoking. well with pipe tobacco you can smoke all you want for 1-2 or 3 weeks and then stop because the addiction will be gone i think it has somthing to do with changing your nicotine recptors to a better form of nicotine that is not so modified.

I think you hit the nail on the head, even the toxicity level of nicotine is almost a myth taken from an apparently dubious 19th century experiment.

I genuinely wish you the best with your pipe trials ! Even with any health risks to be able to break the dependency is a great thing !

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Some people don't do well with the pg blends. From what I've found the vg tends to not only be smoother but its much more natural and there isn't any formaldehyde. Also another thing is changing the coils often. I try to do mine weekly which keeps the wick fresh and coils clean from any corrosion. Those 2 things will help a ton.

Agreed, with pg I had breathing difficulties and a sore throat. I make my own from vegetable glycerin brought from a chemist £1.50 for 200ml and then add flavours and nicotine brought from an online vendor that I'm confident with.
10mls of e-juice in UK can cost anything from £3 - £6 and would only last me a couple of days. My DIY juice tastes great has low nicotine levels and costs no more than £O.70 for 10mls 😋

On rolling tobacco I was spending at least £100 a month now with vaping I spend no more than £35 a month.

Since Christmas I have easily spent half what I would on smoking and that includes buying various different vaping devices to find one I like

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I may have not been clear on just how much I got for 100$. I think all told I have around 400-500ml maybe a bit more. For me that's at least 4-6 months of supply. 4th of July sale I bought from 2 vendors one was Adirondack the other The Gourmet Chef I think was the name. One was 25% off the other was 35% so I saved a ton buying bulk during a sale. Most vendors do them for major holidays and black Friday is even better than that. I get preblend 6mg of nicotine with as much vg as possible. FYI a regular cigarette is around 8mg of nicotine so its only a small bump down. Another pro tip is only buy stuff online...shops tend to mark up around 300-400% on most items. For example a pack of 5 coils online is 15$ in store its around 15$ for 2. For me I smoke about a pack a day which is around 6$ a day, making 42$ a week. I could maybe go through like 10ml of juice and a coil a week which is like 13$ conservatively. After about a week I noticed my sense of smell normalize to the point I could smell that my uber driver had recently smoked before picking me up, which is a first in a long time, and it even kind of stunk to me. Lungs are feeling a little better too!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
there is small amounts of nicotine in tomatoes and potatoes and other vegetables. im not going to make this a religous discussion but do you think God would put nicotine in tomatoes and potatoes if it were really bad for you? that is just God proof it is not bad for you.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i dont know if there is any satisfaction or relief from e-cigs. . with pipe tobacco you still get the satisfaction of tobacco smoke which soothes the gut after a heavy meal yet i am not addicted to it. do e-cigs work for you after a heavy meal?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Yes and no...I think because you're used to tobacco it won't as much at first, but after a while yes it is still satisfying. Most of the tobacco addiction, chemicals included, are a mental thing. Once the habit is broken it becomes less and less noticeable till the point that it feels satisfying to puff the ecig after a meal. Also the nice thing is if I'm not satisfied I can just vape some more. Its also nice that instead of sitting there and smoking a whole cigarette I can stop whenever which technically you can with cigarettes, but for me I am much less likely to.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Check out verdevalleyvapes.com... they've got awesome juice for a great price. It's like 28$ for 100ml but than you get a free 100ml with every order over 100ml.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

i can honestly say pipe tobacco is no where near addictive as cigarettes i dont need one when i wake up or every 1/2 hour. so my advice is if you are trapped and a slave to cigarettes, give pipe tobacco a try it is way better. you can smoke pipe tobacco for a few weeks as much as you want then you will realize you are no longer addicted and you can actually stop smoking now if you want.

But you didn't say I quit smoking tobacco, period. Just switching to another form of nicotine isn't 'quitting'.

Let me know when you really try and find out how insidious nicotine addiction really is...

yea its bad but i know ecactly what the op is talking about.. ever try to use nicorette or a cigar cigarello or vape pen with nicotine??

none of that will "do the trick"

its similar to my alcoholism. i have to have beer specifically.

on a positive note i dont quite remember but i think its 3 weeks now since i bought a pack. im kind of depressed or something, but hopefully as the addiction fades ill feel beyter again. Those cravings though.. cigs are weird.. you get over the first day then 3 days youve basically made it... but then the strongest craving ever can pop out of nowhere..

i quit for 2 years one time and wanted one so bad i bought a pack.. Why?? cigs are that crazy addictive.

anyway week 4 here we go.. i did mess up and smoked on two occasions.. one cig each time.. im letting that slide..

my sense of taste and smell are coming back and my lungs actually feel better. I have more energy
my brain is working better but also much worse. i know this part from last time. nicotine helps thinking in a certain way. ill readjust over time.. its not as bad as alcohol withdrawal foggy brain. one drug at a time though

my trick to quitting is tell the baddass girlfriend a few months ahead of time when i plan to quit. told her nkt to nag me about it. so she supports me only from the positive angle.

what sucks is every time i drink i want that added dopamine on top.. and breaks at work dont feel like breaks.. ill have to change my habit of smoking to maybe having food each time, but fir now i just skip my breaks.

oh and right before i quit i switch the pack i buy every day so my body isnt getting its exact blend it likes then i go to american spirits, then i pick my day drink my ass off so im hungover.. when i feel sick i dont want to smoke. so that gives me about a day headstart without wanting cigs.

lol.

staying quit is another story.. its like part of life will never be experienced again. Ill have to live with that one. Ill live hahaha..

edit on 27-7-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

weird right as i finished posting a stiry on cigs popped up on the news.. something about raising tje age you can buy them.. and ended by sayimg cigs are still the leading cause of death in the usa at 480,000 kills a year.

like the universe is like "you got this reverbs!"

lol shh.
edit on 27-7-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

yea its bad but i know ecactly what the op is talking about.. ever try to use nicorette or a cigar cigarello or vape pen with nicotine??

none of that will "do the trick"

I had to use the patch, specifically Nicoderm, the only thing that eventually worked (for me). I doubled the time for each step, still went nuts.

Slowly, eventually the habit gave me up...

Thirty five year, pack a day habit, lungs are destroyed, most difficult thing I ever did was quit smoking.

Thanks for sharing your struggle with me.

Super
to you for hanging in there, you are doing it right. Telling others, supplanting other addictions temporarily , 'Staying quit' ls tough like you say. Its a process, takes time, I relapsed for a whole year before really quitting for good.

It_will_eventually_work, guaranteed, all you have to do is not stop trying.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Sorry for butting in but I figured this was as good a place as any to add my two cents....

I put down cigarettes the first week of May this year. I had been smoking for a bit over 20 years and it had escalated to the point where I was a two-pack-per-day smoker.

Although I understand that nicotine is nicotine but I stopped "smoking" using an e-cig. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to state the brand I'm using but it is the type that is just the straight cigarette shape with the cartridges (that sort of take up the space where a traditional cigarette filter would be). I know a lot of people like the more elaborate vaporizers with the liquids that they pour in and all but for me, this sorta-cigarette-looking thing is working for me.

Let me be clear that, at least from my perspective, it is NOT as satisfying as a traditional cigarette. However, it is just good enough so that I haven't slipped in the past couple of months. Although the designers need to (if possible) adjust the center of gravity of this thing, it's shape satisfies me while I'm driving in traffic. In the past I used to literally smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes (or more) on my way to work in the morning. In retrospect I almost find it hard to believe I smoked THAT much but it is true. Now, I have this e-cig in my hand the whole time for me to sort of fidget with and take a drag from here and there and it has become the new routine.

It is true that (to the best of my knowledge) there hasn't been a true, long running assessment as to the potential hazards of these things, it is something I'm willing to risk. There MIGHT be some health hazards with this but there are DEFINITELY hazards should I have continued smoking.

In the past couple of months I have notices some changes....

Physically I can breath better and my sense of smell has (largely) returned. That is a gift and a curse because DAMN some people stink and now I can really smell it (but that is for another thread). My skin looks better to the point I'm starting to look a little younger (not that I'm OLD but ya know what I mean). After smoking as much as I did for as long as I did I know it is going to take my body MONTHS if not YEARS to heal as much as I'm going to. I suspect I will never be at where I would have been if I never had picked up the habit, but hopefully not too much permanent damage was done.

Emotionally it makes me partially proud of myself that I no longer have to be ashamed for smoking. I say "partially" proud because I just can't take too much joy from simply not doing something I never should have been doing in the first place. That being said, it makes me happy that one of the scariest things to me (quitting smoking) has been confronted and I'm fighting the good fight. I'm hanging in there.

I'm also happy that my car, clothes, jackets, etc don't wreak of smoke.

There are other benefits as well. Prior to May, when I was home with my wife and son I would be in and out of the house a million times a night to smoke. It annoyed me for needing to do it as I'm sure it annoyed my wife and made my young son wonder what the heck Daddy was doing going in and out of the house all the time. Now, when I feel the urge, I can just slip into the bathroom or the kitchen or any unoccupied room in the house and take a few pulls. I also no longer have to go out in the rain and huddle somewhere to smoke while protecting the cigarette. The winter was over by the time I dropped cigarettes but next winter I wont have to bundle up and freeze my nuts off x-number of times per day just to have a smoke. It really is a quality of life changer.

And speaking of quality of life.... In my neck of the woods I was spending about $22 per day on cigarettes (or $660 per month). Think about that for a moment. $660 a MONTH!!! Based on the cost of the e-cig "starter kit" and the cost of refill cartridges, I'm spending an average of $4 per day (or $120 per month). So a net difference of about $540 EACH AND EVERY MONTH. Since my wife and I purchased our first house last year, I don't have to tell you how significant that money is.

I know I rambled all over the place on this so I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your time.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH
a reply to: seasonal
there are at least 30 chemicals added.

Not true. It contains vegetable glycerin and/or propylene glycol, and optionally nicotine and flavoring.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join