It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAS China Lake releases clips of their greatest hits

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Interesting video coming out of China Lake. It basically shows a bit behind the scenes as they test munitions, blow stuff up etc. Given how much goes on there we don't get to see any little glimpse is fascinating to say the least. The ground test of the SeaRAM point defense system, lots of air to air, moving targets, anti radiation missiles (christ it literally shears off the radome on the target and you get to hear the "Magnum" brevity call. ) etc. its really cool and worth a look. Kind of like a cruise video but for testing

www.thedrive.com...
edit on 7/26/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/26/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/27/2017 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing that here OP!

Wow, I didn't know some of those missiles spin the way they do on launch. My favorite was the cover one that penetrated the ground behind that white truck and then exploded that sucker up into the air.

edit on 27-7-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The only thing I enjoyed about being on that ridiculous base in the middle of nowhere were the occasional touch and goes and witnessing all the other oddities that happen around that area. Oh and got to met a lot of special operators there.
edit on 27-7-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Fantastic video. Such great resolution in the arming stages of the missiles, as they exit the launcher.
I also like the fact that they showed a couple of "near misses", especially the one of an AG missing the mass of the radar bunker and just taking out the top antennae. Thanks for the post.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
That was like watching the perfect guy flick!

It's easy to see why the tab for the military is so high. What would you estimate the bill was for just what we saw in this video for weapons used and the stuff blown up?

One other side little question, why do the pilots open their canopies so early instead of waiting until they are parked? A couple of them near the end of the video looked like they had opened them before they actually landed. Wouldn't the wind shear it off? I mean duh, obviously it doesn't, but I'm still curious.
for our service men and women.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Its nice to see the NAVY make a cool promo video! The NAVY is usually the least popular of the armed services.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

It's an air intake for the f-35c I believe
edit on 27-7-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Its not the canopy it's part of the airframe that covers the lift fan in the F35B for VTOL.
Actually could be the air brake on 2nd look.
edit on 27-7-2017 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

Its an air brake actually...meant to create resistance and help slow it down. There is a threshold in which speeds lower than won't sheer it off but if you're going too fast then yes it will break off or at the least over extend and bend back.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I live just out side NWC China Lake and i have worked on the base a number of times since 1978.

China Lake does a number of programs from weapons QC testing to special weapons development.
chinalakemuseum.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Even NASA does testing at china lake.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Let me just put it this way

There are far more interesting things happening at China Lake than a few explosions

One of the rumors on base is that there is an underground testing facility there as well as Hangar 5

what is Hangar 5?

nobody knows

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I live just out side NWC China Lake and i have worked on the base a number of times since 1978.

China Lake does a number of programs from weapons QC testing to special weapons development.
chinalakemuseum.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Even NASA does testing at china lake.

The base was also a major component of the Manhattan project.

Oh I forgot, most of the testing done at China Lake is then brought to Eglin, Yuma and Nellis (test and eval in Vegas near area 51).
edit on 28-7-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv I also like the fact that they showed a couple of "near misses", especially the one of an AG missing the mass of the radar bunker and just taking out the top antennae. Thanks for the post.

That was not a miss. If there wasn't a blast associated with the shot, it was a missile sans warhead and possibly instrumented. This shows the actual path of the missile without masking by the explosion. Anti-radiation missiles will go for the radiator, which is the dish. The warhead can also take out the trailer but once the dish is gone, the system is much less effective.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: ANNED

Oh I forgot, most of the testing done at China Lake is then brought to Eglin, Yuma and Nellis (test and eval in Vegas near area 51).

They go to Eglin, Yuma and Nellis only if the Airforce wants them.

The army also picks up weapons developed at China Lake for the Marines and Navy Seals.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Huh no it isn't. It is an intake for vertical landings.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
One other side little question, why do the pilots open their canopies so early instead of waiting until they are parked? A couple of them near the end of the video looked like they had opened them before they actually landed. Wouldn't the wind shear it off? I mean duh, obviously it doesn't, but I'm still curious.
for our service men and women.

Because its pretty hot. I fly in a nomex suit all the time and (lightweight suit in the summer) and it is like wearing a portable sauna. The Fighters guys have tons of other gear also strapped to them like the G-suits etc, all the electronic gear, and the all glass canopy makes for quite a greenhouse effect so opening the window cools things down for sure.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

If you're talking about around 3:17, those are F-35Bs in STOL mode. That's the intake door for the lift fan. It's used for vertical or short landings and takeoffs.

Some fighters do open their canopy when they taxi, because the environmental system can't keep up well on the ground, so it helps cool the cockpit off.
edit on 7/30/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join