It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Paint? WTF Tampa!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
SOURCE

I just saw a segment on this on Bay News 9. Looking for a version on youtube to embed:

TAMPA, Fla. (WTSP) – The visually-impaired in Tampa could soon have new technology in the form of “smart paint” and “smart canes” to help them safely navigate crosswalks in the city.

[The technology] can be used to pick up information through sensors and communicate that through a cane,” said Jean Duncan, director transportation and stormwater services for the City of Tampa. “If we have a visually-impaired person, that information could go into ear buds and a device to communicate to that person how they're walking along the sidewalk."

So Tampa just approved a measure that will allow them to experiment with smart paint on crosswalks in the Channelside district.

But just how smart is this paint? Is it as smart as my phone? Because if it is, it needs to go, now.

Traditional canes don’t eliminate the spatial awareness challenges the visually-impaired face, but a cane with sensors that interacts with paint on the roads could keep those with eyesight problems safe by directing them to stay within the crosswalk.

If it requires the pairing of another device to activate its 'smart' capability, then it is not an intrinsically efficient solution. It's extrinsically efficient, since it requires the use of a 'smart cane' in conjunction with the paint. One will not work without the other, apparently.

So everyone is just going to have to buy smart canes, and smart cars, and smart shoes, and smart underpants, and smart contraceptives, etc.

Just listen to what some people in Tampa are saying about it:

“It’s very easy for me to veer trying to listen to traffic, what’s coming in front as opposed to what’s coming on the side.” said Louise Peyton, who’s been blind since birth. “I think it would be very interesting to be able to maintain a straight navigation through the crosswalk.

Have you or a loved one ever wondered what walking into traffic would be like if you actually paid attention to the road?

Well now you don't have to! Because there's Smart Ass™

Smart Ass™ works by inserting a small tubular microchip into your anus. This microchip allows Smart Ass™ to react to other smart devices that have been integrated into the landscape, effectively acting as your eyes and ears for you so you don't have to look away from your phone while we spam you with more advertisements for smart technology.

“Somebody who’s visually impaired needs to make sure they are aligned to cross the street correctly so they are facing the right direction before they even step out into the street,” said Brooks.

Ok, well how does that stop the person on the road in their car who isn't paying attention from mowing you down? Oh wait... Smart cars. Duh! Too bad the smart car's basic motor functions can be compromised through their network via a third party.

Damn Wikileaks! How dare they reveal something we've only imagined to be true all along?

Duncan estimates the smart paint will be of low cost to the city, but it is the smart cane that will pose a cost to the visually-impaired.

I wonder who owns the patent for this technology?

The technology has potentially wider applications as well, including as a temperature indicator for factory machines and household appliances and tools signaling they have become dangerously hot, or as a warning to firefighters of the intensity of a fire on the other side of a door coated with the thermal paint. Several large corporations expressed preliminary interest in it at a recent expo. The patent is jointly owned by NJIT and the U.S. Army; NJIT plans to commercialize the technology.

Friggin' Army eh? Let them test it on the battlefield, see how well it works in combat.

This is just a way for smart tech manufacturers to establish job security for their market. After all, the paint only works with other smart devices. Essentially, this is just one step in the direction of a totally augmented reality, tailored to your liking for you courtesy of TPTB.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sounds like a trip sensor, and the smart cane does the work. Lots of hype- can't wait to see the first death because someone depended on unreliable smart paint to warn them that they were walking into certain doom...

Probably shouldn't be called smart so much as informative. Same for your phone. It's not smart, it just has more information.
Way more.
Sadly, it goes to ways, and provides easily as much information about you as it gives to you.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Um, is that "Smart Ass" portion a bit of satire???

Seems like the worst place to test the thing, as the sun will degrade it at maximum speed.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No, it's an ad for my newly trademarked smart device.

Go and buy one!

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Seems like the worst place to test the thing, as the sun will degrade it at maximum speed.

Nah, it only works if you have it on vibrate.

OP, I don't know what you're so worried about, no smart paint would not have a cpu controlling it. It would simply be something that could send minimal information to a smart device you currently own. Like the cane, or whatever.

And I see it as a good thing, if it gives sensory impaired people more safety in their daily travels. Why would you be so worried about it? Do guide dogs worry you, hearing aids, or what about those implants that allow people with vision impairment, the ability to detect brightness, contrast, etc, leading to potentially artificial vision... Oh lawdy dem bionic blind people..

They have this tech too, is some public toilets. Braille on the walls, it's some sort of smart bump tech, that allows blind people to be able to read just by touching the walls..

The problem with the future is so many people want to remain in the past....

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

And I see it as a good thing, if it gives sensory impaired people more safety in their daily travels. Why would you be so worried about it?

How do the sensory impaired people living all over the world cross the road without smart devices?

This isn't a riddle, or a joke, it's a serious question.

The answer is - with the help of a person, usually someone with a nursing degree who is familiar with the specific impairment of the person they are hired to care for.

Would you rather rely on today's fringe technology, one that hasn't been fully tested, to cross a highway? Or would you rather rely on a person? One is easier to subvert than the other.

So this technology, in reality, is seeking to undermine the effectiveness of a person relying on the senses of another person, and not a smart device.

So in many ways it is about jobs. Smart technology threatens to reduce the labor force.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom
The family and I just took a trip along the Riverwalk starting at Channel Side last Tuesday. It has really come along nicely. I shall keep an eye out for this paint and see if it has an obvious look to it.

Also, if anything it empowers people who have to struggle harder in life already, up to and including the embarrassment of dependency for others to assist them in crossing the road.

C , its not like the paint will be beaming signals into our brains. This just makes our city that much more of a desirable place to live. Like those fancy well kept future cities in sci-fi movies where there is a niche tech to serve every handicap or novelty. I like it!
edit on 7-27-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Is this the same stuff that locks up the shopping cart wheels if you cross the lines in the parking lot?
(Yes. I had to try it. And yes, it works)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

I think those are just proximity sensors. Once the cart gets too far to pick up a signal being sent from inside the store, the wheels lock up.

But... the thing about that invention is that it isn't being offered to consumers as a substitution for manual labor.

Somebody still has to go out to the parking lot to retrieve those shopping carts and bring them back inside the store. They don't return to the store on their own, not yet anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

How much will painting lines on either side of every single road cost?! Raises a lot of questions although the idea of extra safety for the blind is excellent. Gotta wonder how many visually impaired people there are and then divide the cost of several thousand miles worth of 'smart paint.' Is there a cheaper option?

I think RFID technology could be more cost effective. There could be chips every yard or so to notify the visually impaired by vibrating feedback in their cane handles. Just punting an idea out there with zero research

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
smart paint is not as smart as a labrador ,the cute blind dog .
that is far more reliable then any microchip,the labrador can also defend a blind person.
has self preservation hard wired as standard.
and blind dogs do not just cross the road they can do many tasks to help the blind person..

this is about conning blind people with inferior tech,when they already have the best tech available called a blind dog.
edit on 27-7-2017 by testsubject271 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: testsubject271

Guide dogs

Cheaper to produce and maintain! Psychologically beneficial for the owner. Works in every location. Not a penny in taxes.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I think RFID technology could be more cost effective. There could be chips every yard or so to notify the visually impaired by vibrating feedback in their cane handles. Just punting an idea out there with zero research

But you know someone somewhere is going to get rich off that cane...

Just read this alleged response from a random citizen of Tampa:

“It’s very easy for me to veer trying to listen to traffic, what’s coming in front as opposed to what’s coming on the side.” said Louise Peyton, who’s been blind since birth. “I think it would be very interesting to be able to maintain a straight navigation through the crosswalk.

Is this person seriously contemplating the philosophical implications of a cross walk? Whatever that person is on, it's not working for them if it takes installing smart paint to get them to cross the street safely.

I seriously am doubting the veracity of that comment, it seems much too surreal to be genuine. I am more leaning towards that comment being scripted by a corporate advertising firm. If you can get your head around that, then the rest of the article reads like sponsored content, which would be a much more likely scenario.

edit on 7/27/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Is this person seriously contemplating the philosophical implications of a cross walk?

Come on man, considering they have handicap that deprives them of one of the very most important senses nearly all human beings take for granted, I think shes entitled to it. You and I can simply see all imminent dangers and obstructions. This lady is blind, crossing the road for her can literally be a life or death situation if she does not put 1010% effort into such a trivial function of daily life.

Not every blind person in the world has a growing list of friends with disposable time to be at their side any time they want to go out. I have certainly met more deaf than blind people. Given the choice between deafness and blindness, obviously being neither is preferable. But many people, if not most, including the deaf people I have met and asked, would rather be deaf than blind.

Deaf is a horrible burden on your life but is easily overcome with signing, lip reading and new tech. Blindness literally turns everday into the potential of your last day on Earth from one wrong step or turn. I have a bit more sympathy for the blind, to permanently live in a world of darkness is an ailment that not only seems dangerous, but horribly depressing as well. AT least they can enjoy music and the sounds of a nice park though. And if a little bit of paint will help their digital cane keep them out of danger, well then I won't see it as such a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You know what? I have never had a blind or visually impaired person walk into me. Never seen it happen anywhere. You could be right in doubting the veracity of the comment.

Drunks on the other hand...many times. Is there a smart paint option for them?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
Right, but how many blind people can you actually remember meeting or speaking to, let alone notice in a crowd??

Many if not most blind people are restricted to their homes or safe places very nearby simply because of the dangers of living blind and the difficulties in adjusting their lives to travel in perpetual darkness until they pass on. I can only even remember about three or four. Here is the kicker. As I was sitting here trying to remember, I recall that the only ones I met were slightly older, like 40's plus.

Maybe I have only met older one because it takes years and years to be able to travel safely even a half mile while blind, and they are the ones who have managed to survive the difficulties of one of life's cruelest burdens. Two of them had dogs that I can remember for sure though. Which is funny, because most service dogs I see are simply in training. Thing is blind people rarely travel in public just due to the danger of being blind.

Deaf people are everywhere, they can still see. Life is more difficult and dangerous for the deaf than the blind.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: badw0lf

And I see it as a good thing, if it gives sensory impaired people more safety in their daily travels. Why would you be so worried about it?

How do the sensory impaired people living all over the world cross the road without smart devices?

Less effectively? would you not want an added way to help you, if you were sensory impaired?

This isn't a riddle, or a joke, it's a serious question.

The answer is - with the help of a person, usually someone with a nursing degree who is familiar with the specific impairment of the person they are hired to care for.

Would you rather rely on today's fringe technology, one that hasn't been fully tested, to cross a highway? Or would you rather rely on a person? One is easier to subvert than the other.

So this technology, in reality, is seeking to undermine the effectiveness of a person relying on the senses of another person, and not a smart device.

So in many ways it is about jobs. Smart technology threatens to reduce the labor force.

Sure I'll ask joe bender to help me cross the street. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: testsubject271

Guide dogs

Cheaper to produce and maintain! Psychologically beneficial for the owner. Works in every location. Not a penny in taxes.

Feed them for free you say?

Train them for nothing I hear.

Hey, how come we have speed detectors held by humans on roads, I wonder.

I guess, helping is not as important as hindering.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

You know what? I have never had a blind or visually impaired person walk into me. Never seen it happen anywhere. You could be right in doubting the veracity of the comment.

Drunks on the other hand...many times. Is there a smart paint option for them?

Has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen... to be honest.

Who can choose to be deaf or blind. Who?

Or are we entering into the realm of "I'm a blind person, but I have vision, pass me the acid doctor so I can be my true form."

you advocating for drunk dogs? taught to find the kebab shop at 2am so barny can get his snack?

sheesh...

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
SOURCE

I just saw a segment on this on Bay News 9. Looking for a version on youtube to embed:

TAMPA, Fla. (WTSP) – The visually-impaired in Tampa could soon have new technology in the form of “smart paint” and “smart canes” to help them safely navigate crosswalks in the city.

[The technology] can be used to pick up information through sensors and communicate that through a cane,” said Jean Duncan, director transportation and stormwater services for the City of Tampa. “If we have a visually-impaired person, that information could go into ear buds and a device to communicate to that person how they're walking along the sidewalk."

So Tampa just approved a measure that will allow them to experiment with smart paint on crosswalks in the Channelside district.

But just how smart is this paint? Is it as smart as my phone? Because if it is, it needs to go, now.

Traditional canes don’t eliminate the spatial awareness challenges the visually-impaired face, but a cane with sensors that interacts with paint on the roads could keep those with eyesight problems safe by directing them to stay within the crosswalk.

If it requires the pairing of another device to activate its 'smart' capability, then it is not an intrinsically efficient solution. It's extrinsically efficient, since it requires the use of a 'smart cane' in conjunction with the paint. One will not work without the other, apparently.

So everyone is just going to have to buy smart canes, and smart cars, and smart shoes, and smart underpants, and smart contraceptives, etc.

Just listen to what some people in Tampa are saying about it:

Have you or a loved one ever wondered what walking into traffic would be like if you actually paid attention to the road?

Well now you don't have to! Because there's Smart Ass™

Smart Ass™ works by inserting a small tubular microchip into your anus. This microchip allows Smart Ass™ to react to other smart devices that have been integrated into the landscape, effectively acting as your eyes and ears for you so you don't have to look away from your phone while we spam you with more advertisements for smart technology.

“Somebody who’s visually impaired needs to make sure they are aligned to cross the street correctly so they are facing the right direction before they even step out into the street,” said Brooks.

Ok, well how does that stop the person on the road in their car who isn't paying attention from mowing you down? Oh wait... Smart cars. Duh! Too bad the smart car's basic motor functions can be compromised through their network via a third party.

Damn Wikileaks! How dare they reveal something we've only imagined to be true all along?

Duncan estimates the smart paint will be of low cost to the city, but it is the smart cane that will pose a cost to the visually-impaired.

I wonder who owns the patent for this technology?

The technology has potentially wider applications as well, including as a temperature indicator for factory machines and household appliances and tools signaling they have become dangerously hot, or as a warning to firefighters of the intensity of a fire on the other side of a door coated with the thermal paint. Several large corporations expressed preliminary interest in it at a recent expo. The patent is jointly owned by NJIT and the U.S. Army; NJIT plans to commercialize the technology.

Friggin' Army eh? Let them test it on the battlefield, see how well it works in combat.

This is just a way for smart tech manufacturers to establish job security for their market. After all, the paint only works with other smart devices. Essentially, this is just one step in the direction of a totally augmented reality, tailored to your liking for you courtesy of TPTB.

This is utter and complete ignorance on your part. How will this affect you, and why are you against the implementation of safety measures for the visually impaired?
Last I checked, Florida grants drivers licenses to sixteen year olds. It also had the highest amount of motorcycle deaths in the nation. People out there drive like lunatics. The roads are a huge expanse of highway, that make it immensely difficult for people to do something as simple as cross the street. These safety measures grant people with disabilities the opportunity to have more freedom in their daily lives.
In NYC, there are audible devices installed at crosswalks. Personally, I hope measures like this are implemented across every major metropolitan area.
#BLINDLIVESMATTER

top topics

<<   2 >>

join