It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My religion......Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I talked to my father about religion the other day and he told me this in a joking manner. Money is my religion, some people may carry Jesus or whomever in there soul, but we all carry cash in our pockets. Money comes in every form, just like God. Money can do miracles... just like God. Money does everything for us. People are driven by money, thats why we work, thats basically the point of our being is to make more money so that our kids can have a better chance in life to make even MORE money. I knew my dad was joking about the bit, but it got me to thinking that maybe people have been way to consumed by money. Also my dad: " People strive to have money, but you can only have so much money. But, power is endless" I think maybe that could help out the whole NWO idea but I don't buy into that stuff. So I was woundering what you guys thought about the idea of money and how it has to do with so much with our lives that is has almost become like a religion in and of itself. I dunno just a thought.

Thoughts on Rumors-

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yes. I have believed that for years. Money is god to many people, they love it and covet it and without it they believe they are nothing. They look upon those with little money as lesser beings.

What they don't realise is that they are playing right into the hands of the banks and those who manipulate the stock exchange. All it takes is one stock market crash and all their money goes down the toilet. All their flash cars and uptown houses are taken to pay debts and bills.

Walking through a desert, hundreds of miles from anybody what is more important - $1000 in your pocket or a packet of food and bottle of water ?

People need to prioritise.

Is money god ? - Not to me it isnt.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think the real question is:

If humans didn't have money then what would become of us?

Exactly. I believe money is the most tangible form of god that we have. Praying isnt going to put food on your table. But a $5 bill will.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Money is fine if it is used for its original purpose - to transcend the limitations of barter. After all, it is much easier to carry around a bag of gold than three pigs, a goat and a chicken. It is when money is used to make more money (interest) when things go wrong, especially when the 'money' is merely a promissory note that is not backed with anything tangible (Gold standard etc).

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Pisky]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I think the real question is:

Exactly. I believe money is the most tangible form of god that we have. Praying isnt going to put food on your table. But a $5 bill will.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by Simulacra]

5$ doesn't buy you much food anymore these days :p

Before money was widely used, people traded in services and goods, this is still done today in many forms actualy.

I wouldn't mind returning to the days where you could live your life working, trading, crafting and helping. I would prolly even fare well in that kind of world.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Food for the body for half a day or food for the soul for eternity? Which one does money buy?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Probly a couple of hundred years from now archeologist will find that we worshiped the God called "TYME" or also known as "ATM" where we inserted our identifcation card and used our holy 4 digit numbers to be blessed

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Probly a couple of hundred years from now archeologist will find that we worshiped the God called "TYME" or also known as "ATM" where we inserted our identifcation card and used our holy 4 digit numbers to be blessed

*shivers* I fear you'll probably be right.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the movie They Live?!?

Every dollar had the words "This is your God" printed on it. In a system where you need money to survive, money becomes like a God. The truth is every man is his own God, he can make all the relevant decisions regarding his fate. They want you to believe differently - enter all manner of control schemes spanning thousands of years, ranging from religion to money to sex to status. Behind every carrot lurks a stick, remember that the next time you feel yourself wanting something that money can buy.

I have a question for the board. What would happen if people just stopped using money one day. What if neighbords relied on each other to trade goods and stay alive just long enough to bankrupt the current government? It would be hard, but nothing is impossible.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I was thinking the The_Final's father couldn't possibly go to church because he'd probably be asked to give up part of his 'religion' into the offering.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I have a question for the board. What would happen if people just stopped using money one day. What if neighbords relied on each other to trade goods and stay alive just long enough to bankrupt the current government? It would be hard, but nothing is impossible.

It's possible, but why? The 'money' in that case would just be challenging barter as it once was. Keep in mind that money is a tool that could be used for good purposes as well. It can readily be turned into the food your neighbor eats instead of trading them an old radio or washboard (no money, no electricity, right?). I'd be interested in seeing that movie you mentioned.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well actually Saint4god before you could "buy" your way into heaven in the mid-evil ages. You could also give money to have your relatives taken from "purgatory" and lifted to heaven for a small fine.
Besides that I think that money is the backbone to our country these days.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes you can say that money is God, just look who are the wealthy and powerful in this country and you will be able to agree that money has taken the place of their God a long time ago.

They even get the miracles they want with it that most regular Joes will never ever be able to dream about.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulclara

Trading and economies would crash in a single hour, because all our trading is based on a medium of exchange, in our case it is a green paper bill. Before it was invented, we literally didn't do any trading. For the most part we were like herds of people, just kept moving from one place to another surviving on what we can. After we domesticated the animals and found agriculture we got excess food which we would sell for something else and so on. So if there was no medium of exchange, we would have to trade using other stuff, for example I have a bag full of grain, and you have the expertise to fix up my wagon, so we would exchange grain and expertise and we would both be two happy people. But the problem is that someone might offer to fix my wagon for less amount of grain or would ask something in return other than grain. By having a universal medium of exchange we are making sure that we get what we want. Money is sort of like middle man between our resources and our needs.

Surf

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Well actually Saint4god before you could "buy" your way into heaven in the mid-evil ages.

Yeah, isn't that messed-up? Totally not what the Book says. The church was in much need for reformation. Thanks Martin Luther!

You could also give money to have your relatives taken from "purgatory" and lifted to heaven for a small fine.

Yeah, isn't that messed-up? Totally not what the Book says. The church was in much need for reformation. Thanks Martin Luther!

Besides that I think that money is the backbone to our country these days.

Hm? How so?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Money is fine if it is used for its original purpose - to transcend the limitations of barter. After all, it is much easier to carry around a bag of gold than three pigs, a goat and a chicken.

How very true.
Also gold is more esthetically pleasing.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We could probly get rid of money if we formed a utopian marxist type of society. But then we would probly get bored to tears, or decay into ruin

I rather have a few slips of paper in my pocket to buy a TV then a cow

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Money is abstract. It isnt just green paper. With that said, I agree to a certain extent.

new topics

top topics

join