It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Trump Tweets That He is now King

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Would Paul Ryan dismiss the House?

Would Mitch McConnell dismiss the Senate?

So Trump tweets out that transgender people will not be allowed to be in military. Republican law makers line up to say, "He's Commander in Chief, so it's totally up to him."

WHAT THE HELL?

U.S. Constitution Article I, Section 8,

1: The Congress shall have Power...
12: To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

13: To provide and maintain a Navy;

14: To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
. . .

Has the Constitution ceased to exist?

Is Congress just going to role over and let Trump be dictator through tweet?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

If he does not have the authority to ban trans, what is the big deal?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I guess the Commander in Chief has no authority then? You know, if the authority is only granted to the Congress?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

A dumb question maybe, Obama did have the authority it seems to give the directive to the Department of Defense to implement this new policy after a one year review. So if that policy was not yet finalize, does that mean Trump can override it?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

what is the big deal?

The mostly Republican Congress' willingness to let the President assume all power with no challenge, no checks or balances. That's what. Republican abdication of power.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

No. Congress Reaches Deal on Russia Sanctions, Setting Up Tough Choice for Trump

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Ha ha ha.

Have you seen the goat screw health care sinking ship?

What are you talking about?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
did congress pass a law that says transgenders should be allowed?
has the supreme court ordered the admittance of them?
or did obama just make an executive order to admit them...

maybe I am wrong but I think it may have been an executive order..
and that if congress, or the supreme court don't like it, well, the ball's in their park, or in the case of the supreme court, probably will be soon???

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I guess the Commander in Chief has no authority then? You know, if the authority is only granted to the Congress?

The Commander has authority to execute laws, not dictate them.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ, 64 Stat. 109, 10 U.S.C. §§ 801–946), is the foundation of military law in the United States. It was established by the United States Congress in accordance with the authority given by the United States Constitution in Article I, Section 8, which provides that "The Congress shall have Power....To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval forces."
Uniform_Code_of_Military_Justice

If the Congress allows the military to sort out and discharge service members on the whim of the POTUS, then they are complicit in extra-legal actions.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

The Commander has authority to execute laws, not dictate them.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ, 64 Stat. 109, 10 U.S.C. §§ 801–946), is the foundation of military law in the United States. It was established by the United States Congress in accordance with the authority given by the United States Constitution in Article I, Section 8, which provides that "The Congress shall have Power....To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval forces."
Uniform_Code_of_Military_Justice

If the Congress allows the military to sort out and discharge service members on the whim of the POTUS, then they are complicit in extra-legal actions.

What authority does the President have as Commander in Chief?
I believe that was what I was asking, since the authority is granted to Congress by the Constitution, at least that is what I gathered from your OP.
Honest question.

Many people have been drummed out of the service on the whims of those that rank much lower than the POTUS.... division commanders even.
edit on b000000312017-07-26T13:35:34-05:0001America/ChicagoWed, 26 Jul 2017 13:35:34 -0500100000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Was the policy approved by Obama an actual law passed by Congress? Or was it an Executive directive for the DoD?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Uh, Trump's statement today agreed with the sentiments and position of the POTUS and Congressional consensus of roughly 238 of this country's 241 years of existence. Obama's decree of letting them enlist openly was the outlier and represented the overreach of office, not Trump's decision to return to the previous norms.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

maybe I am wrong but I think it may have been an executive order..
and that if congress, or the supreme court don't like it, well, the ball's in their park, or in the case of the supreme court, probably will be soon???

Maybe someone will come along with detailed history.

Unlike "don't ask, don't tell," which required congressional approval both to become law and to be repealed, the transgender policy was never a statutory bar; that meant that ending it required only the direction of the defense secretary and the president.
by Emma Margolin, NBC Jun 30 2016

There is no law barring transgender people. That's how I read it.
edit on 26-7-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

After carefully reading your response, I have decided that this thread is actually a RANT. I was triggered by hearing all the "Well he's commander in Chief, so..."

I don't feel like defending this. But I challenge anyone to produce a law passed by congress, or in the UCMJ, which excludes transgender people from serving in the military.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There isn't a federal law against being overweight, but I remember people in the Navy drummed out because of being overweight.
There is no law against being stupid either, but I know people that were not allowed to join the military because of low ASVAB scores.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
President Trump reveres his top military people. If they recommend that he bans Transgender soldiers/sailors/airmen, it's a done deal.

If they recommend sending a cruise missile into Kim Jong's bathroom, it's a done deal.

Unlike Congress, the AG, FBI, etc.. the MILITARY has performed exactly as the KING wanted them to.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
There isn't a federal law against being overweight, but I remember people in the Navy drummed out because of being overweight.
There is no law against being stupid either, but I know people that were not allowed to join the military because of low ASVAB scores.

I was "drummed out" of the Navy Reserves, because that device they pinch you with, was able to grab too much meat on the side of my stomach. I had been out of the Navy for 9 years at that time..and was married. So, I didn't fight it.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Are they giving him all the rope he needs to hang himself?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm only disputing the idea that Congress can't think for itself and only follows Trump's whims. I think the no Transgenders in the military idea is beyond stupid.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
"The mostly Republican Congress' willingness to let the President assume all power with no challenge, no checks or balances. That's what. Republican abdication of power."

...hence no visible obstruction yet.

I think in this circumstance, the Democrats are on board with this one..

edit on 26-7-2017 by Plotus because: add info

top topics

<<   2 >>

join