It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Tweets NO Transgender in Military

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
I'm just HERE to see how ATS members defend and applaud treating other Americans as second class citizens...

I can't believe you received stars for that post.

Just because someone is denied entry into the Armed Forces doesn't mean they are second-class citizens. People are denied ALL THE TIME for various reasons. Poor eyesight, genetic disorders (all kinds), mental disorders (all kinds), etc, etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory
a reply to: underwerks

Here are some figures.

The study by the RAND Corporation estimated that 2,450 of the 1.2 million active-duty members of the military are transgender, and that every year around 65 will seek to transition to the other gender.

The RAND study said that if the Pentagon did not cover the medical procedures for service members — like hormone therapy and surgery — they would likely avoid seeking medical care and would have higher rates of substances abuse and suicide.

Paying for the procedures would cost the Pentagon between $2.9 million to $4.2 million a year, the report said. By comparison, the Pentagon each year spends $6 billion of its $610 billion budget on medical costs for active-duty service members.

Study Finds Few Obstacles to Lifting Military’s Transgender Ban

Every penny matters when you're talking about something you don't like.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I'm not sure what that means.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

READ YOUR OWN ARTICLE. What else can I say? It simply said that 'enlisted' can openly serve.

“As a result of this year-long study, I’m announcing today that we are ending the ban on transgender Americans in the United States military,” Carter said. “Effective immediately, transgender Americans may serve openly, and they can no longer be discharged or otherwise separated from the military just for being transgender.”

Then they would prepare the services for those who will be enlisting.

Beginning on July 1, 2017 services will begin allowing transgender service members to join the armed forces provided they same accession standards. Additionally, being transgender cannot be a basis to bar someone from admission to a military service academy, participation in the Reserve Officer’s Training Corps or any accession program.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

I'm not sure what that means.

People are very selective about what they think they should or shouldn't be forced to pay for, personal biases often get in the way of sound financial decisions.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I can aplenty. I just already know that the vast majority whom will come in and use this as demagogue smear material against Trump / etc will deliberately avoid answering the question for the obvious reason I'm asking it (as is already obvious). Which is fine.

Meanwhile, an unobvious reason is, it's goes without saying that there are some significant percentage of such folks themselves either dont truly care about the trans, or worse, but as long as it makes good partisan slander material then they'll jump on it just the same. Which that is fine too...

But for the moment the issue has my attention you know what I'm going to make sure people have to fly straight on this. Is there a possible middle ground that can be reached on this, or is the "care" about the matter entirely selfish over-expections / are you just using it for political smearing (all ye whom are claiming outrage)?

edit on 26-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Common sense.

This decision is the right one and it doesn't mean anybody is against transexual persons. But, trans persons have issues that have to be dealt with....physical, emotional, biological, psychological, not to mention social.

Distractive issues for military personnel is not good right now. I think we're about to face some challenging engagements and dealing with problems that invariably arise because of this is not in our best interest.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: matafuchs

Hey, it's a lifestyle choice. If you choose to have a family, that's on you and I don't want to pay for it just cuz you're in the military.

It's a reward for serving the country. Seems fair. Without them, you'd be thrown in prison for spouting off about imaginary gender identities.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: network dude

perhaps you could explain your post.

I was asking what are people's objections to trans people serving in noncombatant roles, since all everyone is talking about is front line combat.

I never once said I think trans people should be pigeonholed into any certain areas of service, you're the one who brought that up in a feeble attempt to attack me.

I was only wondering about other people's rationale.

If you look at most posts here that are against Trans military members, they are largely not worried about those who keep their sexual identity crisis to themselves. It becomes an issue if you crave attention and special treatment. If you are a soldier who does what you are told and don't cause your superiors to have to make accommodations for your issues, there really isn't an issue, after all, how would anyone know unless you told them.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

It's not "common sense" at all; it's more right-wing bigotry.
If someone can do the job, we should let them.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

Thanks for the link. It seems the biggest hurdle is the moral outrage from people who don't agree with the lifestyle choices of transgenders.

I believe everyone who wants to serve should be able to. If you are brave enough to take a bullet for this country, what gender you see yourself as shouldn't matter at all.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Good call by Trump in my opinion. I wouldn't want someone suffering from gender dysphoria operating the most deadly tools and machines known to man. We all know depression tends to be tied into this mental illness for a lot of them. Plus, the military already disqualifies people no matter what sex or color they are based on psychological evaluations. You can support the LGBT community and not support them operating an integral part of our countries defense. For example, I support the intellectually disabled community, but wouldn't hire them to teach at our schools.
edit on 26-7-2017 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: TheTory

Thanks for the link. It seems the biggest hurdle is the moral outrage from people who don't agree with the lifestyle choices of transgenders.

Did you deliberately completely skip past all that materials I linked in over the past several pages about the health complications related to the surgical procedures, or did you do it subconsciously?

link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: matafuchs

Hey, it's a lifestyle choice. If you choose to have a family, that's on you and I don't want to pay for it just cuz you're in the military.

It's a reward for serving the country. Seems fair. Without them, you'd be thrown in prison for spouting off about imaginary gender identities.

What about a reward for trans people risking their lives for the country? If they don't have a family but need hormone treatments, why can't that be their reward?

link   
a reply to: introvert

And this decision plays right in to the political clusterphuck. Freedom and democracy would say that we let people serve that are willing to do so.

Seriously ?

The US military isn't a 'democracy'.

They don't vote on anything.

Command says jump. They jump.

Period.

link   
Reading words are hard sometimes when you can't hear inflections in voice/tone..

Rumour has it that... the VA(Veterans Affairs) can't afford to perform surgeries on veterans that want transitional surgeries. It's elective cosmetic surgery VS "I'm disfigured and need Cosmetic surgery"..

Admittedly Trump is Brash and lacks social skills. But, there are still severely injured and emotionally scarred men and women that took a bullet for your right to be as you want to be. They have Cancers, perhaps respiratory illneses.. pick a disease commonly & capably handled by what seems to be less than stellar VA physicians. Imagine the potential mess that could be made of a transitioning human being both mentally & phyically. We, the taxpayers, have already paid for a transition of a military prisioner (some may call him/her a traitor). I can see how, at this point, there is insufficient medical data and skill to currently cover gender reassignment. They don't cover tattoo removal either no matter how detrimental to a veteran's life or mental health it may be.

At this point the Military is unprepared to handle these kinds of treatments.

As a laugh though.. My uncle Dr. DR. General Frederick Fritz W. Plugge is rolling in his grave right now.. ( head doctor when the Iranian hostages were released when Reagan took office ).
Spent time at Walter Reed..

In time folks...

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

People are very selective about what they think they should or shouldn't be forced to pay for, personal biases often get in the way of sound financial decisions.

That's fair. But add on top of that a chronic medical condition, and it is no longer just about financial decisions.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I believe everyone who wants to serve should be able to. If you are brave enough to take a bullet for this country, what gender you see yourself as shouldn't matter at all.

What about a schizophrenic?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

1) A lot of transgender people don't have resassignment surgery anyway.

Then people shouldn't be calling them transgender.

At best it makes them cross dressers.

I put on a dress doesn't make me a 'woman'.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
You can support the LGBT community and not support them operating an integral part of our countries defense. For example, I support the intellectually disabled community, but wouldn't hire them to teach at our schools.

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible argument. Comparing this situation with the developmentally disabled is ridiculous.
If anyone in the LGBT community passes our military's standards and tests and is qualified/capable to serve, we should let them. It's just that simple. The rest is just thinly-veiled, right-wing bigotry.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join