It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Left's Intimidation of Republicans is Insane and Needs to Stop

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960
a reply to: introvert

Here is your poster lady explaining how she read the ACA.

www.youtube.com...

Lord I love youtube sometimes.

That's the problem with youtube. Too many people just watch the video and think it's gospel. Too lazy to actually find the context of what she said.

The ACA bill was already available for people to read before it was voted on.

AND she spoke for several minutes BEFORE and AFTER those words.

Context: It matters.

link   

www.youtube.com...

That's the problem with youtube. Too many people just watch the video and think it's gospel. Too lazy to actually find the context of what she said.

And thousands of novels are freely available in the library too. Being available does not equal actually READING and COMPREHENDING it all.

(I cannot believe I actually had to post that above).

link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

So, you can read only part of a novel and fully understand what is in it enough to spend millions of someone else's money?

A novel is not comparable to a piece of legislation. Another stupid comparison.

Nice....you must be a genius to divine the entire content by skimming through it all.

It appears you may not understand how things work in congress. There is a reason these people have staff, aides and daily meetings in order to inform themselves.

Unfortunately, this job should be done diligently when it involves spending our money.

Again, one of the reasons these people in congress have staff.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

What utter nonsense--this isn't "the only sane" way to respond to the bill. What happened to bi-partisan meetings and persuading other congressman or senators via logical discussion and on the merits of proposition or opposition?

These people chanting are of the same ilk as the idiots in BLM who have been protesting because the DA will not try a cop (Ray Tensing) a THIRD TIME for the same crimes (shooting Sam Dubose during a traffic stop) after two juries ended deadlocked after record-breaking time deliberating on the case. They intimidated a pro-Tensing rally via threats of violence so serious that they called off the rally, and BLM held a rally on the bridge instead.

This mentality that "the only sane" way to respond to things that we don't like is to try and shout it down is about as juvenile as it gets, and if you are condoning this and also threatening more of the same, then I lump you in with these same immature people who are throwing tantrums for not getting what they want.

No intelligent person wants either side to go away, but what is desired is civil discourse, and neither side has that right now (or seems willing to start the ball rolling, either). The fact that you're claiming a moral high ground and saying that Republicans "get what they deserve" is willfully ignorant to what is going on. Would you also, with integrity, claim that Democrats, when they passed the PPACA on a strict partisan vote in the dead of Christmas eve, also be deserving of the ire and scorn that they have received since then?

And speaking of the PPACA, seeing that you seem to prefer it over prior to its existence or over anything that has been proposed to replace it, I would suggest reading this Reason article about the effects of the PPACA and how there has been claimed illegal payments from the federal government in order to try and subsidize health insurance companies and keep things afloat.

Ever since the genesis of the idea that would become Obamacare began, "the left" (mainly the congressional and presidential left at the time) were bullying and intimidating and demeaning anyone who noted the shortcomings of the PPACA, or even the spirit of the PPACA, yet years later, we are witnessing the validity of many of these concerns coming to fruition. How and why certain people, including you, continue to be such relatively ardent supporters of the law is beyond me.

I get that it has positively affected you and your family, but that's not the case for everyone, and in my opinion (take it as you will), the overwhelming negative net effect that the PPACA has had on our country does not negate or offset the good that it has done in some instances. I don't claim to have all of the answers, and I do believe it to be unfair to just yank coverage out from people who received it under the PPACA that otherwise might not have had it, but I fully believe that a repeal is necessary, even if only replaced with a few grandfather clauses that address the types of situations noted.

But like I said, how someone can defend these people and think that it's acceptable for congressional officials to act like this just leaves me in awe.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

So you are and advocate of the idea you do not have to read a bill to pass a bill then? Thanks for clarifying.

I said no such thing. What I am saying is that it is illogical to say that the man in question could not have read the entire thing because he made one stupid comment about an island tipping over.

To say such a thing is kind of stupid. Does that mean you are an advocate for stupidity?

And I highly doubt very many read the entire thing, due to it's length. That does not mean they did not know what was in it.

This is Hank Johnson we are talking about... It is quite logical to say he didn't read it and has no idea what is in it. His Guam comment was hardly the first. The man is functionally retarded.

Here is a highlight reel...

Once again, your assertion is not logical. Just because he said some stupid things does not mean he did not know what was in it. One has nothing to do with the other.

Very silly argument, actually. Your entire argument hinges on one man.
edit on 25-7-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

www.youtube.com...

And thousands of novels are freely available in the library too. Being available does not equal actually READING and COMPREHENDING it all.

I cannot believe you posted that either.

My comment was in regards to Pelosi's remarks. The bill was publicly available and her comments are/were taken out of context for political purposes.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

You are right when you said,

A novel is not comparable to a piece of legislation

A piece of legislation is a LOT more important to have read and understand. But, you have clearly stated that you needn't read the full legislation to understand what is in it. If the congressperson's staff read it fully, understood it and then provided the summary, I would conclude that congressperson would have been considered to have read it (delegating it).

It still does not equate to your open statement of,

You don't have to read all 2300 pages to understand what's in it

edit on 7/25/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

Other so-called "first world countries" seem to manage it.

WHY can't America?

Because we have WAY more citizens, and WAY more people on social programs already.

Heck, I know people who are making $80K a year, full health care, just by popping out more kids, never claiming a spouse, and they get money per month for each of those kids. One of the women I talked to was looking forward to having another kid, she will make an extra $800 a month. And all of her kids are covered by medicare. She's never worked a day in her life.

Why is it, that I work my a$$ off, and they simply sit at home with more money each time they have a kid? Is that what we are supposed to be creating, a voter base that literally can't or doesn't want to survive without the government?

Social programs were ORIGINALLY put in place as a "backup plan" in case you lose a job and need money to fill in while looking for other employment. I've been on unemployment once in my life. I actually only had to cash one check, I was employed the next month.

We have created a new class of citizens.

Permanent Democrat Voters, who don't want to survive on their own.

We simply can not sustain this and it must end soon.

Trump wants to create jobs.

Look at Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, the list goes on, where Democrats have created these groups of people, and with no jobs or sense of responsibility all that can come of this is what we are seeing today. When those cities had industries, people worked at them. Drugs running rampant, guns killing people in places where guns were outlawed. The money that taxpayers are sending to these communities ends up buying drugs, "illegal" guns, and many other vices that either needs to stop or change.

Because we simply can not sustain this democratic agenda, it's now failed and needs replaced.

I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD to Trump taking down the sanctuary cities. Another drain on our social programs.

Fred.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

A piece of legislation od a LOT more important to have read and understand. But, you have clearly stated that you needn't read the full legislation to understand what is in it.

It's true. You don't have to read all of it to understand what's in it.

That is why they have things called bullet points, summaries, etc and the importance of it is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make.

If the congressperson's staff read it fully, understood it and then provided the summary, I would conclude that congressperson would have been considered to have read it (delegating it).

OK. So we agree.

It still does not equate to your open statement of

I stand by that statement. You don't have to read every single word to understand what's in it.

Frankly, this is a ridiculous argument.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

I cannot believe you posted that either.

My comment was in regards to Pelosi's remarks. The bill was publicly available and her comments are/were taken out of context for political purposes.

No, Nancy is bat$hit crazy.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how we got here. People cant afford healthcare. Mandatory insurance only increased the problem. Stop the dehumanizing and fix it. If the left wants to save Obamas legacy then suck it up and work with republicans. If not, they need to work with republicans to properly dismantle it. But all they offer is chlidish protests and asinine ultimatums. I don't care what the tea party did or how they treated Obama at all in this context. If they were that serious with their argument they wouldnt be playing politics with 10s of millions of lives.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: windword

'Fake news'? Then blame the dems. They're the ones who said we'll read it after we pass it.

NO.

It was you NEED TO PASS IT to "see" (find out) what BENEFITS once implemented it will have.

FFS. Seriously.

Seriously. You edit after her edit.. Backpedalling what was said and rewriting it will not get you traction. Blind trust of what benefits you will have has been disproven by majority opinion in this country. Just another lie.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Wow. I cannot fathom you actually believe this:

I stand by that statement. You don't have to read every single word to understand what's in it.

If that is the case, I sure hope you don't lose all your life's work because you signed a legal contract without reading it fully and understanding all the clauses and their implications. These bill are written be legal experts. The same profession that invented the "small print" in contracts to hide all the stuff they want, while attempting to convince the signer that it's not important to read it all before signing.

I cannot believe you are truly that naive.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Wow. I cannot fathom you actually believe this:

If that is the case, I sure hope you don't lose all your life's work because you signed a legal contract without reading it fully and understanding all the clauses and their implications. These bill are written be legal experts. The same profession that invented the "small print" in contracts to hide all the stuff they want, while attempting to convince the signer that it's not important to read it all before signing.

I cannot believe you are truly that naive.

Believe it.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Let the corrupt Democratic party cry about it. I'm tired of paying for it and it's not even worth arguing about. Nobody cared that my healthcare plan and affordability was destroyed when they passed ACA. So why should I care if anyone else's healthcare goes through the ringer when I get what I voted for? At the rate insurance prices are rising, I'll be paying $1000/month next year with $5000-10000 deductibles for 2 healthy non-smoking adults and 2 healthy children. To top it off, it's required by law. I'm so tired of the government reaching in my pockets without my say.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Maybe because their positions are not based o logic and facts??

It is based off of logical fallacies that would get you laughed out of a high school debate

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Xianb

Quite the appeal to emotions. Note that those who demand the government provide healthcare do so because they refused to provide healthcare themselves.

I call massive steaming piles of BS on that one, LM.

No one is "refusing" to provide healthcare for their family member or themselves.

Gah! Do you even know what it takes to go through cancer treatment, or to care for a medically fragile child??

And then, after all that struggle and pain, after all those barely-paid bills and weeks watching yourself or your child hover near death, you watch some entitled bas__**s stomp about preening that what kept your child alive, what gave you the ability to pay for healthcare and provide it, is somehow "DEATH!!!!"

And then they kill it, without a clue what to do next - possibly killing your access to healthcare entirely unless you suddenly become wealthy or magically get a new career with amazing benefits that lets you work from home while caring for your kid or recovering from treatments.

People will suffer that are already suffering from the pain of illness. People on the right and the left and wherever will suffer - that is what is in the magic invisible "healthcare" bill. Politics don't matter to the real Death, or to real Pain.

So here's the deal in the real world, son...

People want the CHANCE TO BE ABLE TO PAY FOR THEIR CARE AND FOR THEIR LOVED ONES CARE and not have their health insurance cost more than any non-ultrarich family can afford, not go bankrupt, and not end up on welfare.

But you say these cold, callous things in order to "trigger" and evoke emotional responses that you can then feel oh so superior to, and oh so better than... So fine. Sue me. Call me names or whatever it is you enjoy doing to others. I don't freaking care. Your attempts at "snowflaking" me will be burned off by the fire in my heart and the steel in my eyes. Mama bear ain't playin' no more.

I'm angry. And that makes me way more motivated to rip these bums out of power than your prim eye-rolls and tsk-tsking ever will be.

Enjoy the coming conflagration of the GOP...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

No one is even claiming the GOP plan lowers prices one red cent..

They are just taking the subsidies..

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I wish there was this much concern when 30 million lost their insurance when Obamacare was enacted. But from what I remember, the general response was, "You have to break some eggs to make an omelet".

*shrugs*

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
It doesn't matter how we got here. People cant afford healthcare. Mandatory insurance only increased the problem. Stop the dehumanizing and fix it. If the left wants to save Obamas legacy then suck it up and work with republicans. If not, they need to work with republicans to properly dismantle it. But all they offer is chlidish protests and asinine ultimatums. I don't care what the tea party did or how they treated Obama at all in this context. If they were that serious with their argument they wouldnt be playing politics with 10s of millions of lives.

The "left" is more than willing to work with Republicans. It was they who took 13 men into a little room and locked the door. They are the ones who have the power, so they need to reach out and offer to include the left.

I don't care if they work together, craft the most amazing health care plan ever, wrap it up with a bow and call it "Trumpcare" - this has nothing to do with Obama at this point. It has everything to do with whether or not I can afford to pay for my child's healthcare.

The GOP is playing politics with millions of lives currently. They are playing with my kid's life. I'm beyond fed up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join