It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, a college cracks down on the left’s snowflake fascists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Good on them - protesting is fine.. it's the backbone of this country to make your voice heard. But not at the deficit of other's rights of free speech, or safety for others. Well deserved and well thought-out punishments imo.

Also.. why the continual attack on the left? The left is comprised of many types of people that have their own sets of beliefs and ideals. Just like the right, and everyone not in either party.

Yet on ATS since Trump's inauguration, it's been a full-out attack on the left. As if the acts of .0001% of a party somehow represent the ideals of all of them. Feeling a bit full of yourselves perhaps? I really don't consider myself left (or right), but it's obvious that people here are reveling in their black-sheep Trump's victory, and the attack here is non-stop. Triggered snowflake libtards.. it's present in almost every thread. Often in the thread title.

"Omg the libtarb lefts are RIOTING!".. after a protest of I dunno... 2k people representing a tiny fraction of their party does something stupid. This is a daily thing here now it seems. Any chance of toning this down? Or do we have to suffer through 4 years of this chest-pounding, back-patting, ridiculous nonsense?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Finally, one for our side!
(sanity)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Claremont McKenna College this week announced disciplinary measures, including lengthy suspensions, against seven students who were part of a mob that blocked an audience from hearing a pro-police speech by Heather Mac Donald last April. see also When 'safe spaces' turn violent When 'safe spaces' turn violent

The crowd, spurred on by Black Lives Matter, forced Mac Donald to give her speech via livestream, even as protesters tried to drown her out. It was an outrageous infringement of Mac Donald’s right to free speech — and the right of other students to hear her. It was also another despicable example of what passes for acceptable political protest on far too many campuses.

Source Article: Finally, a college cracks down on the left’s snowflake fascists

Finally, some sense of sanity has broken though in academia. It is refreshing to see that free speech, true free speech, is being defended here. The 1st Amendment was meant to protect the speech you disagree with, since it is impossible for everyone to agree on what is acceptable. So, the right to protest is fine, but not the right to prevent others from the free exercise of their expression.

And what punishments were handed out for this case?

Claremont McKenna hit three students with full-year suspensions, two with one-semester suspensions and two with conduct probation. It gave deans at other Claremont campuses evidence of violations by their students and urged them to act. Four non-students were suspended from on-campus privileges.

All reasonable punishments, nobody expelled permanently. All these punishments also have "teeth" in the affect that it will go on the student;s personal records, as it should.

Well done Claremont McKenna.

Did the speaker deserve to be forced to provide their speech via tele-presence out of fear for their life?
Should the students not have been punished? And why not?
What about the students that wanted to see and hear the speech, and were looking forward to it being prevented from that experience by the protesters?

Now, how does the ATS membership feel about this approach.

Bravo. Deserving a standing ovation. This is the kind of response this kind of douchebaggery deserves.

S+F

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

hahah Im thinking that yeh , this generation just werent spanked enough as kids and their parents opted for non confrontational approach to parenting and taking them to the naughty step to think about what they did
instead of reinforcing that their behaviour was unacceptable with the firm back hand to the butt .

Now it appears the UN are trying to outright ban on smacking kids in Scotland

Im willing to bet one of the reasons why this generation are so needy and demanding their emotions be catered for is that they simply werent disciplined as children with the firm hand of a parent or grandparent.

As a child growing up I learnt alot the hard way , I was threatened by my father , but disciplined by my mother and grandmothers
my father never hit me , it was always a smack by my mother or grand mothers on the ass or clip on the ear.
It was enough that i was threatened with being smacked on the ass by my father that I refused to do any wrong.

and there was nothing more embarrassing as a child than being publicly spanked in a retail store when you were 5 or 6
and that was enough to keep my memory fresh as to the outcome of any bad behaviour
I have been told I am very well mannered and must have been raised well.

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that children need to be cautioned physically , not all children are wee #es and need to be spanked but some are unruly and actually do need to be spanked to "get it"

I've often stood in public and watched kids have meltdowns for no reason , and they could be resolved instantly with a well placed smack to the butt , but parents are no longer allowed to smack their kids for fear of prosecution or being shamed by members of the SJW public

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

ROFL

Sanity will only return to Berzerkly when the 1st air cav runs a vertical envelopment op on the whole town and blasts, burns, or smokes out the berzerkly police, university faculty, and whatever guerrillas... I mean students are still inside the perimeter holding out with them....

In other words, likely a whole lot sooner than the thousand year snowflake reich thinks!

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Apropos of the term 'snowflake', I believe I have identified the source for the modern slang meaning (as in, any liberal-leftie who wets their knickers over their pet minority causes, and takes any counterargument as a form of oppression).

The British activism/petition site 38degrees was founded in 2009, and the site's founders explained the project's name as follows:

38 Degrees is the angle at which snowflakes come together to form an avalanche – together we're unstoppable.

So it looks like this insult was an instance of backfire upon the ambitions of the progressive tendencies.

Anyway, carry on.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It would be very a very interesting study that examined what percentile of the modern spoilt brat/liberal/snowflake/SJWs grew up in homes that did not have a strong male presence/Father Figure.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I missed your post. Sometimes I get interrupted and have to come back to a post.

In any case were you referring to this?

I mentioned the 1st Amendment since (not in this case) if a public college/university does not act in the same manner as this institution, then they are in fact required to adhere to the 1st Amendment protections. As a public entity, they are an arm of the state, and therefore represent the government in their actions (or in-actions).

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Finally, one for our side!
(sanity)

I don't see it as "our side" or "their side" (i.e., 'left" or "right").

I'm a relatively liberal person, but I see this college's action as a win for "reasonableness" and simple "civility of society."

We live in a dangerous world if anyone (liberal , conservative, or centrist) are allowed -- or even encouraged -- to deny the ability for someone else to speak. These people are free to protest, but protesting by blocking the ability for someone else to speak should not be encouraged.

If this behavior is encouraged, then rightfully the college or university should allow conservative groups from blocking the ability for an invited speaker to speak. Do people really think a college should allow a conservative group to block an invited "BLM" speaker from speaking?

edit on 2017/7/26 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Claremont McKenna College has issued its own statement, upon which the facts of reporting are based. Claremont McKenna College completes Student Conduct Process on April 6 blockade.

Can you justify the use of finally, as used in your headline?

Can you explain left’s snowflake fascists?

Especially, can you define snowflake when applied to a person, as in: "You are a snowflake."

Pretty sure "snowflake" means "anyone I disagree with politically" 🙄

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

I applaud their use of common sense in the face of stupidity.
But with all due respect to Claremont McKenna, this is a pretty small liberal arts college with a student body of less than 1500 according to Wikipedia.
When will any of the larger Leftist enabling colleges like UC Berkeley, crackdown on the Liberal madness that is poisoning the minds of these kids?
I know, I know....small steps in the right direction I guess.
Yes, but it's also a well respected, well ranked, liberal school. So it's a good step.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I lookedup this snow flake test ( here is it see if you would get the job lol .
newbostonpost.com...
Most of the questions are ether out in left field or a loaded question .
Frankly Alot of them depend on just who it is your talking about .
saying how do you feel about employs having a gun on hanmd or clients when reality is it depends on teh person who does in fact have a gun .
so if you answer I would want to know this person is stable ( aka teh word postial comes to mind most know how that one came about .
then your a gun hating lib ?
Stupdi questions mostly
Safe spaces at work ???? what the heck is a safe space ? dont even know what that is other then dont go into the seeded part of town its not ( a safe space lolol )
Really ? who crazier teh people who made these questions or teh people who can accutly understand and they have meaning to ?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

Pretty sure "snowflake" means "anyone I disagree with politically"

That word, as used today, as a political statement only goes back one year. It's been used to mean other things back to the 1800s.

I compare it to the word nerd, which I must confess I first heard from the Fonz, on sitcom Happy Days. Back then, it was as ill-defined as snowflake, is today. When the Fonz called someone a nerd, he meant, "You are not cool like I am."

Nerd was first used in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950). Back then it meant "an imaginary animal".

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

About time.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Claremont McKenna College this week announced disciplinary measures, including lengthy suspensions, against seven students who were part of a mob that blocked an audience from hearing a pro-police speech by Heather Mac Donald last April. see also When 'safe spaces' turn violent When 'safe spaces' turn violent

The crowd, spurred on by Black Lives Matter, forced Mac Donald to give her speech via livestream, even as protesters tried to drown her out. It was an outrageous infringement of Mac Donald’s right to free speech — and the right of other students to hear her. It was also another despicable example of what passes for acceptable political protest on far too many campuses.

Source Article: Finally, a college cracks down on the left’s snowflake fascists

Finally, some sense of sanity has broken though in academia. It is refreshing to see that free speech, true free speech, is being defended here. The 1st Amendment was meant to protect the speech you disagree with, since it is impossible for everyone to agree on what is acceptable. So, the right to protest is fine, but not the right to prevent others from the free exercise of their expression.

And what punishments were handed out for this case?

Claremont McKenna hit three students with full-year suspensions, two with one-semester suspensions and two with conduct probation. It gave deans at other Claremont campuses evidence of violations by their students and urged them to act. Four non-students were suspended from on-campus privileges.

All reasonable punishments, nobody expelled permanently. All these punishments also have "teeth" in the affect that it will go on the student;s personal records, as it should.

Well done Claremont McKenna.

Did the speaker deserve to be forced to provide their speech via tele-presence out of fear for their life?
Should the students not have been punished? And why not?
What about the students that wanted to see and hear the speech, and were looking forward to it being prevented from that experience by the protesters?

Now, how does the ATS membership feel about this approach.

..and no doubt, these students will scream about their "Free Speech" being infringed... in an apex of irony. LOL

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The result of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
will be interesting to see if any other schools follow suit.
as far as I know most school admins are themselves leftists and shrug off this sort of neo-fascist disruptions.

will troll media coverage when I get a chance.

the San Diego Union approves
www.sandiegouniontribune.com...

If that poses problems for a few students, it alerts far more that the best way to win an argument is not to silence speech but to defend everyone’s right to it.

edit on 26-7-2017 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

This is what Im talking about. Full year suspension sounds rough, hope they deserved it.
Too bad Bonesteele didn't get to see it. I am proud to see that not all colleges are blindsided by these shenanigans. High time they get old school like a Headmaster on this unacceptable behaviour.

One more for the good guys!

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I don't agree with either side...but free speech is free speech.

We need to protect ALL OF IT.

Protests as well.....in fact protests are the MOST important part.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rival
I don't agree with either side...but free speech is free speech.

We need to protect ALL OF IT.

Protests as well.....in fact protests are the MOST important part.

Yup.. but not used as a weapon to stop another's right to free speech.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join