It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, a college cracks down on the left’s snowflake fascists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Claremont McKenna College this week announced disciplinary measures, including lengthy suspensions, against seven students who were part of a mob that blocked an audience from hearing a pro-police speech by Heather Mac Donald last April. see also When 'safe spaces' turn violent When 'safe spaces' turn violent

The crowd, spurred on by Black Lives Matter, forced Mac Donald to give her speech via livestream, even as protesters tried to drown her out. It was an outrageous infringement of Mac Donald’s right to free speech — and the right of other students to hear her. It was also another despicable example of what passes for acceptable political protest on far too many campuses.

Source Article: Finally, a college cracks down on the left’s snowflake fascists

Finally, some sense of sanity has broken though in academia. It is refreshing to see that free speech, true free speech, is being defended here. The 1st Amendment was meant to protect the speech you disagree with, since it is impossible for everyone to agree on what is acceptable. So, the right to protest is fine, but not the right to prevent others from the free exercise of their expression.

And what punishments were handed out for this case?

Claremont McKenna hit three students with full-year suspensions, two with one-semester suspensions and two with conduct probation. It gave deans at other Claremont campuses evidence of violations by their students and urged them to act. Four non-students were suspended from on-campus privileges.

All reasonable punishments, nobody expelled permanently. All these punishments also have "teeth" in the affect that it will go on the student;s personal records, as it should.

Well done Claremont McKenna.

Did the speaker deserve to be forced to provide their speech via tele-presence out of fear for their life?
Should the students not have been punished? And why not?
What about the students that wanted to see and hear the speech, and were looking forward to it being prevented from that experience by the protesters?

Now, how does the ATS membership feel about this approach.

edit on 7/25/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling

+32 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

The only thing that will work on these children is the presence of adults, and perhaps a good spanking. It sounds like the administration of that school is stepping up to protect free speech where others have simply walked away.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thats on the list for places my kids may go.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was nice that a college stepped up and did something like this...

It feel like it's been too long since a college/university actually adhered to the law and constitutional rights. Whether or not this will be a trend, where all rights are protected, remains to be seen.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It's discipline that, seemingly, many of these children are lacking.

Actions have consequences that you may not like. ...and those consequences may have further ramifications further down the road, such as job interviews and such.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Yes, yes and yes.

It's about time somebody let these entitled, spoiled brats, realize that it's not all about them, and that you can't run around acting like wild buffoons without repercussions.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Yes, yes and yes.

It's about time somebody let these entitled, spoiled brats, realize that it's not all about them, and that you can't run around acting like wild buffoons without repercussions.

Their behavioral issues have become so poor that there are now companies that have a "Snowflake" test when these animals apply for a job, just so the employer doesn't have to deal with their nonsense.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Yes, yes and yes.

Their behavioral issues have become so poor that there are now companies that have a "Snowflake" test when these animals apply for a job, just so the employer doesn't have to deal with their nonsense.

Is it something as simple as having a TRUMP or MAGA poster on the wall of the interview room? All without any prior "trigger warning" before entering?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I applaud their use of common sense in the face of stupidity.
But with all due respect to Claremont McKenna, this is a pretty small liberal arts college with a student body of less than 1500 according to Wikipedia.
When will any of the larger Leftist enabling colleges like UC Berkeley, crackdown on the Liberal madness that is poisoning the minds of these kids?
I know, I know....small steps in the right direction I guess.

edit on 25-7-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: seeker1963

Yes, yes and yes.

Is it something as simple as having a TRUMP or MAGA poster on the wall of the interview room? All without any prior "trigger warning" before entering?

Actually it is simply Targeted Selective Interviewing. I took the course when I worked for a major Corp. and basically you just design the questions you ask an interviewee to get them talking and see if they would be a good fit for you company organization. People love to brag about themselves, you just have to know how to ask the right questions to get them to open up!

Also, they give you a resume, that they pump themselves up to sell themselves and I usually used that to frame my questions.
edit on 25-7-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

But with all due respect, this is a pretty small liberal arts college with a student body of less than 1500 according to Wikipedia.
When will any of the larger Leftist enabling colleges like UC Berkeley, crackdown on the Liberal madness that is poisoning the minds of these kids?

However small, it is refreshing to see finally happening. Enough so that I felt it important to highlight it here, in hopes that it sows the seeds for similar actions at an ever increasing level.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (and all that Jazz).

edit on 7/25/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Those people had the right to protest and have their voices heard, but they did not have the right to block access or tear down the fencing that was in place to keep the protest in a specific area.

People need to understand that there are consequences when they abuse their rights.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Eventually it almost has to start happening.

Parents are going to start sending their children to other colleges that practice tighter disciplinary procedures, alumnists are going to start demanding it before writing that check...

People are going to get tired of it, that's almost a certainty.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: RazorV66

But with all due respect, this is a pretty small liberal arts college with a student body of less than 1500 according to Wikipedia.

However small, it is refreshing to see finally happening. Enough so that I felt it important to highlight it here, in hopes that it sows the seeds for similar actions at an ever increasing level.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (and all that Jazz).

Absolutely.....S&F
I meant to say "all due respect to Claremont McKenna".
I was not dissing your choice of thread topic.
edit on 25-7-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Claremont McKenna College has issued its own statement, upon which the facts of reporting are based. Claremont McKenna College completes Student Conduct Process on April 6 blockade.

Can you justify the use of finally, as used in your headline?

Can you explain left’s snowflake fascists?

Especially, can you define snowflake when applied to a person, as in: "You are a snowflake."

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Claremont McKenna College has issued its own statement, upon which the facts of reporting are based. Claremont McKenna College completes Student Conduct Process on April 6 blockade.

Can you justify the use of finally, as used in your headline?

Can you explain left’s snowflake fascists?

Especially, can you define snowflake when applied to a person, as in: "You are a snowflake."

The title I used is the title of the article I referenced from in the OP. All per ATS guidelines. If that offends you, then I suggest you know the answers to your own questions. Any comments on the actual story now?

ETA:
From the article YOU referenced, we have confirmation of the point I made in the OP. In addition, there are quotes from the dean of the college reinforcing my OP statements. The final outcome was posted in your referenced article as:

In the aftermath of the blockade on April 6, the College learned important lessons that must further strengthen our resolve. Our Athenaeum must continue to invite the broadest array of speakers on the most pressing issues of the day. Our faculty must help us understand how to mitigate the forces that divide our society. Our students must master the skills of respectful dialogue across all barriers. Our community must protect the right to learn from others, especially those with whom we strongly disagree. And Claremont McKenna College must take every step necessary to uphold these vital commitments.

Which I also agree with in this context.

Again, what is triggering you is a set of words in the OP article title. I think the act of being triggered by words is one of the qualificaitons of "snowflakitis" IMO.

edit on 7/25/2017 by Krakatoa because: added additional commentary

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Sounds good to me. It's unfortunate that it's being presented as a "crackdown on liberal snowflake fascists" but that's the NY Post and froathy-mouthed finger pointing right-wing hypocrites for you.

It's also unfortunate that through their heir attempted censorship by force, these deluded college students besmirch the Left by association, the political body that struggled against puritanical "conservatives" and fascist (since we're just throwing the word around) right-wingers for generations to broaden and strengthen First Amendment protections.

I will also mention that though their actions constitute a form of illiberal censorship, it's not an issue of "free speech" under the First Amendment, which of course protects people against the state, not one another. So those mentioning the Constitution in this context might do well with some studying of their own.
edit on 2017-7-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Sounds good to me. It's unfortunate that it's being presented as a "crackdown on liberal snowflake fascists" but that's the NY Post and froathy-mouthed finger pointing right-wing hypocrites for you.

It's also unfortunate that through their heir attempted censorship by force, these deluded college students besmirch the Left by association, the political body that struggled against puritanical "conservatives" and fascist (since we're just throwing the word around) right-wingers for generations to broaden and strengthen First Amendment protections.

I will also mention that though their actions constitute a form of illiberal censorship, it's not an issue of "free speech" under the First Amendment, which of course protects people against the state, not one another. So those mentioning the Constitution in this context might do well with some studying of their own.

I mentioned the 1st Amendment since (not in this case) if a public college/university does not act in the same manner as this institution, then they are in fact required to adhere to the 1st Amendment protections. As a public entity, they are an arm of the state, and therefore represent the government in their actions (or in-actions).

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Do you imagine that wingnuts can't be triggered? Need some examples? Or that right-wing "snowflakes" aren't pro-censorship in many other contexts?

I can provide examples of that as well. From calling for CNN to be declared "domestic terrorists" and Trump-critical media outlets to have their broadcast licenses revoked for "sedition" to calls for imprisonment of Rachel Maddow and more recently, a RICO investigation of Snopes.

And that's all from ATS posts in the last few months. I can also link you a video of Fox News commentators saying that a rapper should be assassinated by the government over a song.

The fact is that most of us on the Left strongly agree that people with unpopular opinions shouldn't be, by force, denied a public platform for expressing their ideas. We don't support censorship and in fact, our ideological kin have long been champions against it as they have themselves been victims of it.

This is actually an area where we could find some agreement if it weren't for the fact that the Right was intent on constantly trying to smear us with the actions of a very small group compromised mostly of dumbass college kids.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Do you imagine that wingnuts can't be triggered? Need some examples? Or that right-wing "snowflakes" aren't pro-censorship in many other contexts?

I can provide examples of that as well. From calling for CNN to be declared "domestic terrorists" and Trump-critical media outlets to have their broadcast licenses revoked for "sedition" to calls for imprisonment of Rachel Maddow and more recently, a RICO investigation of Snopes.

And that's all from ATS posts in the last few months. I can also link you a video of Fox News commentators saying that a rapper should be assassinated by the government over a song.

The fact is that most of us on the Left strongly agree that people with unpopular opinions shouldn't be, by force, denied a public platform for expressing their ideas. We don't support censorship and in fact, our ideological kin have long been champions against it as they have themselves been victims of it.

This is actually an area where we could find some agreement if it weren't for the fact that the Right was intent on constantly trying to smear us with the actions of a very small group compromised mostly of dumbass college kids.

Who is teaching these college kids to have these beliefs???

Bet you if Law Enforcement showed a heavy hand against them you would be one of the first on ATS to be bitching about the heavy hand of the police state?

Sorry, you are not fooling anyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join