It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More U.S. Cars Are Being Made in Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We were told that the pickups and SUV's were made in the US because there is no profit in building economy cars in the US. Well that is turning out to be not true. They auto companies are building their $40,000 and $50,000 pickups in mexico.

Pickups such as some versions of FCA’s Ram and Chevrolet Silverado, two of the best-selling vehicles in America, are built in Mexico.

And the SUV's that were build in the US because they were profitable, are just a bit more profitable to build in Mexico. In Fact Fiat Chrysler has seen an increase of SUV's being built in Mexico of 177%. Fiat Chrysler's Illinois plant is down 93%.

GM shifted some production of a revamped version of its popular Chevrolet Equinox crossover SUV to Mexico from plants in U.S. and Canada. Over the next few years, the largest U.S. auto maker is expected to add other new models to factories south of the border.

Most of Fiat Chrysler’s increase comes from a decision to shift North American manufacturing of the Jeep Compass from the U.S. to Mexico. An all-new version of that small SUV is being built at FCA’s plant in Toluca, Mexico, which has seen year-to-date production increase 177%, according to WardsAuto.

Meanwhile output at FCA’s factory in Belvidere, Illinois is down nearly 93% year to date, as production of the older Compass model has ended and two new models of the Jeep
www.wsj.com...

Trump will start new talks with Canada and Mexico in August, we will see if he can keep the campaign promise of tariffs on products.

The Trump administration in August will kick off new talks with Canada and Mexico on an overhaul to Nafta. The vehicle-manufacturing business—including a sprawling supply base—is a central negotiation point.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
But free trade!?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Should come w a free kilo.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It all boils down to profit, and with little protections in place this is a done deal. It was inevitable.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Make sure you check inside all of the panels...they just may. I know that it's just a TV show, but "Hawaii 5-0" had an episode based around that exact scenario (new cars being used to smuggle drugs).

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I've been a Ford owner my whole life "yeah,yeah, save the stupid Chevy jokes"
I have always tried to buy American.
My fusion was made in Mexico.
My f150 was made in Canada.
So American cars? Meh.

At the same time Toyota and I think Nissan both build cars here in Indiana.
Tell my why I shouldn't buy a Toyota next time.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It will (and is) coming to the point where if we do not start to manufacture more in the US we will start to see more cities and states go belly up.
edit on 25-7-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Japanese companies manage to make a nice profit manufacturing in America.
American companies can't.
Labor unions?
Corporate taxes?
Mismanagement?
All of the above?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: seasonal

Japanese companies manage to make a nice profit manufacturing in America.
American companies can't.
Labor unions?
Corporate taxes?
Mismanagement?
All of the above?
Exactly, and great point.
This needs sorted out.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It is the USD, it is simply too high value compare to the rest of the world except Euro.
Think about it. Other countries cannot afford to buy American products in American made because USD currency exchange is simply too strong.

If the companies are doing American made. No other countries can afford the American made cars, etc. The Currency exchange is too high. Selling a car in America for $20k+ now exchange that to whatever currency that is in the rest of the world. American cars are cheap to America for a single reason. It is made in other countries so they can do price comparison. So the other countries can afford to buy the goods for a certain price. Now lets do some currency exchange the other way around.

If Its made in America, its paid in American dollars. Therefore a cost for a car will increase a lot due to minimum wage. Say up to $50k USD for a 20k car. This may seem normal to Americans(maybe not for a non-muscle car), but in conversion to other countries that is simply too high. Try converting that wage to other currency. Try selling it to other countries. No one will be able to afford American made cars in other countries.

Its simply a huge lost for the companies.

www.reddit.com...
edit on 25-7-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

So American cars? Meh.

All these cars are American made.

In Canada they are North "American" made cars.
In Mexico the are Central "American" made cars.

Everything is still "American" made.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

So American cars? Meh.

All these cars are American made.

In Canada they are North "American" made cars.
In Mexico the are Central "American" made cars.

Everything is still "American" made.

The Peso and Canadian dollar seems a lot lower in comparison. I doubt Canadian demand high pay like what Americans do.

I think what Trump wants is every part of the car made in America. That would not work, then no one will be buying American made cars. He specifically tried to get automakers out of Mexico.

Even when Cad is higher. Canada does it different.
Quote:
"Canadian auto parts makers say they are worried about the prospect of Japan winning the right to sell cars duty-free inside a future Trans-Pacific Partnership trade zone when a majority of the vehicle content comes from low-cost countries that are not signatories to the commercial accord."

www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If the cars where made in the USA you would not be able to afford them...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
at this point such concerns about where stuff is made or how much is made there is behind the times and those stuck to such outdated views towards manufacturing will get left behind in the wave of automation that has started.

get out of manufacturing as soon as possible or you will be screwed within the next 20 years or less.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Even when Cad is higher. Canada does it different.
Quote:
"Canadian auto parts makers say they are worried about the prospect of Japan winning the right to sell cars duty-free inside a future Trans-Pacific Partnership trade zone when a majority of the vehicle content comes from low-cost countries that are not signatories to the commercial accord."

Actually, Canada gives US Car makers special "tax breaks" to setup shop and produce their cars in Canada.

This I often found really weird, because Canada doesn't give it's own home grown businesses these tax breaks.

They favor American Companies.

We live in a really weird world.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

It is more of a history of respect. Majority(if not all) of Canadian car company were American before the Japs starting selling more after Cold War. Canada doesn't have multiple companies to make cars anymore. It was all merged as General Motors of Canada. Other than that, they do have their own bus companies.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.gm.ca...

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
.... No one will be able to afford American made cars in other countries.

I can't afford American cars in America-lol
Cripes some of these trucks are upwards of 50k.. for a friggin truck! That I will actually use as a truck! Not a luxury vehicle to cruise around town in like so many I see here.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
for those afraid of illegal immigration, this is a good thing.

think about it. why would someone travel thousands of miles, risk everything, just to pick fruit? only if that was better than what they have at home.

so how do you solve it? jobs! if we make mexico better, and countries south of mexico better, then we will reduce illegal immigration because they will have no reason to come here.

but what about the american worker? simple, divide up the labor. have one side do parts, and the other side do assembly. thats what the japanese do. their american "made" cars are actually just "assembled" here from foreign parts.

too birds one stone if done right.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

So American cars? Meh.

Don't be silly, Toyotas are far too reliable, reliability is useless you need grunt, that breaks down all the time, a real head turner. (similar to my ex, damn she was hot but holy hell a nightmare)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

This I often found really weird, because Canada doesn't give it's own home grown businesses these tax breaks.

Its only weird to you as you do not benefit from the deal, its a little like the Russia thing, our media is like Russia the bad guy, yet behind closed doors and public knowledge all sorts of deals are struck, the space station is one example.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join