It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lasers at Disneyland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Does anyone else remember a demonstration by what was then Bell Laboratories of their new invention, the laser, at Disneyland in the early 1960's?

I distinctly remember that, as a very young child, my family visited Disneyland, and one of the highlights for me, was a demonstration sponsored by what would have been Bell Laboratories (in conjunction with their Bell Telephone exhibit) of their new invention, the laser.

The demonstration was conducted by a young woman, and included, a segment wherein it was shown that a telephone call could be transmitted by the laser beam's light. The woman would then interrupt the call's transmission by placing her hand in the path of the beam.

I seem to recall that this particular demonstration was conducted in the early evening, and I think it was outdoors on some kind of patio-like venue.

Thing is, after a Google search, there seems to be no evidence that such a demonstration ever took place.

No, I won't say it!

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Man...........

That sounds so cool though. What an experience for that time it must have been.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't know about Disneyland, but at the Worlds Fair 1962 in Seattle, Washington I remember doing the video phone demonstration. You would go into a small cubical with your family and there was a small screen, and you would do a video chat. It was going to be really expensive, and you would need to make an appointment to make the call. who would of thought at the time it would become free, with Facetime, Whatsapp, Line, Skype.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
www.photonics.com...

First lazer communication was 1975 ... in the 60s lazers couldent be controled to send and recive data
edit on 25-7-2017 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
www.photonics.com...

First lazer communication was 1975 ... in the 60s lazers couldent be controled to send and recive data

I would have been about 17 in 1975, I would have remembered the demonstration much more clearly then.

This is one of my most distant memories, and just one of several that don't seem to "fit" quite right.

I have another, more vague memory of riding in a helicopter, one of those large old kind with blades one the front and back of the fuselage, with my father. But he died when I was young, and my mother has no memory of such an event ever occurring.

These could be false memories, but then...

Why?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Theres some insight on how false memorys are made one is simply having ur mind on one thing u can implant what u where thinking about with whats happening due to how our brain stores information

www.sciencechannel.com...

Id find the full video

May not be the best explanation but its not boaring

edit on 25-7-2017 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Visible light communication is old. Alexander Graham Bell invented the "Photophone" back in 1880 that used modulated light beams to wirelessly transmit a telephone communication.

In 1980, 100 years after Graham's invention of the Photophone, and in commemoration of Alexander Graham Bell's inventiveness, the Smithsonian Institution gave a demstration of the Photophone at Bell's former laboratory in Washington. Maybe that demostration is what you remember, and your mind is "mashing it up" with a memory of a visit to Disney....Or maybe Disney also had a similar demonstration of that same technology, but updated.

Source:
Photophone - Wikipedia

Photophone Centennial Demonestration --
On February 19, 1980, exactly 100 years to the day after Bell and Tainter's first photophone transmission in their laboratory, staff from the Smithsonian Institution, the National Geographic Society and AT&T's Bell Labs gathered at the location of Bell’s former 1325 'L' Street Volta Laboratory in Washington, D.C. for a commemoration of the event.

The Photophone Centenary commemoration had first been proposed by electronics researcher and writer Forrest M. Mims, who suggested it to Dr. Melville Bell Grosvenor, the inventor's grandson, during a visit to his office at the National Geographic Society. The historic grouping later observed the centennial of the photophone's first successful laboratory transmission by using Mims hand-made demonstration photophone, which functioned similar to Bell and Tainter's mode

edit on 2017/7/25 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Quick search shows that there was a "picture" phone exhibit 1964:

mashable.com...

America got their first chance to make a video telephone call on Bell's Mod I (Model I) Picturephone. Fair-goers had to wait on line at the Bell Telephone exhibit at the northeast tip of the Fair to hold a 10-minute visual talk with a complete stranger at a similar Picturephone exhibit at Disneyland in California.

My guess is that you've mixed two memories. It can happen especially with memories going a long time back.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Thanks for that addition, it was a nice read.

top topics

join