It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Producers of HBO’s Confederate Respond to the Backlash and Explain Why .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Well, I completely agree in principle Spider. I do think that particular story would make a great film, and I'm certain there are many more like it. Unfortunately, I don't share your optimism in regards the audience response. There are small groups of very active and noisy complainers that seem to hold a disproportionate amount of sway. The trouble is, you may be totally correct BUT there is a doubt, an uncertainty... and, due to the kind of budgets those shows/films need, you're asking someone to take a significant gamble and large companies/corporations aren't into gambling (unless it's other people's money).
This is the unintended (intended?) consequences of the PC movement, it has stifled free speech and, in turn, free thought and free enterprise. People are now afraid to speak out, whether literally or through their art, for fear of being convicted of the most heinous of crimes, by the court of public opinion (that of apostasy
)
We are poorer as a society for the constant policing of speech and thought and the vicious suppression of any and all differences of opinion.

I would LOVE to be wrong on this. I would love to see a richer and more diverse culture emerging from the likes of Hollywood studios, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also +1 to the occasinal bit of nudity; who doesn't want to see more beautiful, athletic, naked black women on tv?

ETA: Thanks for the posts regarding some of the historical figures you mentioned. Very informative

edit on 25-7-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

It'd be nice wouldn't it, just like it would be nice to see a gay person who is not *jazz hands* GAY *jazz hands*. But alas, I think our current crop of movie writers have no clue how to write real characters, only stereotypes, and Hollywood execs who greenlight are far more invested in checking off the diversity boxes which sort of calls for those stock types to be used.

Do you know why I like Deep Blue Sea? The black guy lives instead of the hot chick, and while he's still the one who provides some comic relief, it's still a nice twist at the end because usually he's the one to die.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Unfortunately positive historical black movies aren't going to be made until black filmmakers have enough to pull to secure those kinds of budgets. Even then, they'll just be looked at as black niche movies and a lot of people won't see them because of it.

Probably the last truly great one was the Malcolm X movie, now look at the type of crap spike lee puts out to pay the bills.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Thank you for keeping this topic up and in sight here on ATS. This kind of programming pisses me off. Call me a self-hating white liberal but that's not really the case with me. What really upsets me is the evil profit motive behind programming that uses market research to determine topics and target audiences that will turn a profit. Since all content is streamable on demand, for the most part, it means the white, racist masses are marketable as never before. Anyone who panders to that is evil, in my book. Same as people who targeted teenage smokers with Joe the Camel, or who deal deadly addictive powders. The same sort of conniving, greedy people help glorify negative white stereotypes with programming that shows the worst kind of white folks doing nasty, selfish things, succeeding and having fun at it, as if that is what made America great.

Whether they admit it or not, the producers of this show are fanning the flames for profit, the same as Trump and his handlers fanned the flames of the masses and got him elected. It's a marketing success formula with no moral qualms. The show had better be a ten-star production top to bottom that reignites awareness of race and educates as much as it entertains, but I'm not expecting it.

edit on 25-7-2017 by Namdru because: more better ranting

edit on 25-7-2017 by Namdru because: verb tense

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

So if We continue to do 'Post Mortems' on what was a tipping point in society close to 200 years ago, We should be able to combat the division that wrecks society NOW in another 200 years, of course those NOW reading this will be either a tree, a bird, a few on another Life to continue to learn and those playing harps w/SkyBeard in Heaven forever..

But it has worked for them in the past.. I just hope the young Lady from Bear Island is involved, then maybe it won't suck being that bird, ant, Fred Coleman, tree...

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Watch foreign tv. Stop watching American made shows. There are a lot of historical dramas made in other countries about all kinds of different histories. If you can handle subtitles I recommend them over crap like Game of Thrones any day.
edit on 25/7/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I'm with you 100%, I'm sick of the same old BS stories re-hashed over and over again promoting the same stupid agendas that shape minds of division and self loathing. We need to break this paradigm of thinking in hollywood and in our nation in general.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

“Give me the confidence of white showrunners telling HBO they wanna write slavery fanfic,” tweeted journalist Pilot Viruet.

As opposed to 2 modern day Black men 'cause they were there and know all about it, right?

ETA - It's racism either way. The 2 White men can do all the research they need, just as well as 2 people of any other color, but it's something for the "Outrage of The Day" folks to get upset about.
edit on 25-7-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Why does everything have to be about Race?
a reply to: seeker1963

I have to believe you actually do know why. There are several reasons for it, but the main reason is money and control!

By perpetuating the race narrative, they perpetuate another one of the "great divides". As well......it "sells"; it creates demand for books and movies and lectures and curricula in the school all focused on the "victim'" blacks and the persecuting overlord evil white devils. And all that feeds the "free stuff for the blacks" and "reparations for the black man" narrative. But it also will work to create jobs, so for example the next "Dunkirk" movie will feature one third black actors.

And then that will create back lash from just "normal" white people who are altogether fed up with the narrative and that will feed more venom into the system.

Race will be at the center of everything in the US until the last white person dies or leaves. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Right, but you are normal and not the perpetually offended haha. Those do sound like they would be good series to watch. Alt history stuff is rad though so I will warch this show too.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Movies and high production shows cost a fortune so they market to the largest demographics. Its just business.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

And like I said these script really wrote themselv
This supposed response from the Queen of Kush Amanishakheto. when asked to meet with Augustus caesar by an envoy from Rome.

Caesar?? who is this Caesar, we know him not!

Meaning who the hell do he think he is, asking me to come meet with him..lol
the result was war, she invaded Roman occupied Egypt and sacked the upper Egyptian capital of Thebes and he retaliates by invading Kush, she returned the favor,

Captured Roman POWs and Egyptian allie ??

The statue of Augustus Caesar , decapitated from the body her during her invasion of Roman occupied Egypt was found buried beneath her temple so all could trample over his body for all times.

I am willing to bet that the yeasayers would beat out the naysayers if this flick was to be made and not be crappy,it would be a win, in the likes of Spartacus and Rome. sword and sandals action, sex ( hopefully a lil nudity) great story line..critics would STFU.
And most importantly informative and truly groundbreaking.

You and Indrasweb make a good point for both sides of the issue. But this quoted above sold me.

Good Thread, I hope you get what you ask for, I personally would enjoy seeing historical cinema of this nature, it would be as refreshing as the first time I saw Lawrence of Arabia

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

When have black folks been masters of their own destiny in recorded history lol?!?! In the middle of Africa pre-European expansion?? That is a narrow time frame to make a film about..

Hi Joshuacox, when were black ppl masters of their own destiny, well for most of their history including recorded history, right up on till the 16th century there abouts when things began to go south, and reached maximum downward spiral during the 19th entury, understand that European colonialism is a mostly 19th event that last officially for about 70yrs, this stuff is really hidden in plain sight, but most folks are not history buff or nerdy enough to care either way.
African armies fought on both sides of the crusades as Christian Nubia was a strong allie while as I mentioned before Axum both pagan and Christian was powerful indeed so much so that a contemporary regarded them as one of the 4 superpowers of their day, the others being Byzantine Rome, the Persian Empire and the Empire of far away Cathay AKA China.
I mentioned Mali and Mansa Musa briefly, that he was the world's richest individual to date , but here is something of his power, the Battle of Hastings widely regarded as one of the most epic and crowded battlefield of medieval Europe with estimates of around 22,000 combatants on the field or 11,000 a piece, well if Mansa Musa or some other king of Mali had it mind to invade Hastings they could have done so with their 40,000 chainmail Cavalry backed up by his 160,000 infantry,crushing both Normans and Saxons, his personal bodyguard was said to be 10,'000 strong.
So yeah those were people with a strong sense that they were masters of their own destiny.
edit on 25-7-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

When have black folks been masters of their own destiny in recorded history lol?!?!

In the middle of Africa pre-European expansion??

You misunderstand the phrase "Masters of their own Destiny"

That is to say, they are, and have always been Masters of Their own Destiny.

The decisions made by different tribes, has not always been in their people's best interest, or at least in general.

Ever heard of the Rwanda Genocide? Hutu Africans Slaughtering Tutsi Africans, all over perceived differences and politics
politicsl

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

when was the last time you saw a movie about folks a group of fellow humans melaninated as they are with recent or actually from the continent called Africa that was not the object of.
Pity
Struggling to escape oppression from
Slavery, and domination in one form or another from a group of folks with recent ancestors or actually from a continent called Europe.
Are you not equally tired of being the evil white guy oppressors in those flicks??
How about a flick that showed more of just one thing...every time.

Hey,

I fully support what you're saying in the OP and I think you're spot on. It's amazing to me really that I have heard of almost none of the historic peple or incidents you referred to. That seems to me a) unfair and b) a waste of good source material.

However, I think you have a major problem with your proposal, and that is the do-gooder PC crowd, the BLM types, the white guilt SJW types and those who are easily offended, and here's why:

If you create a show that accurately portrays the grotesqueries of the culture of that time (i.e. show black people doing horrible #, which would include owning and treating people as slaves, murdering and raping etc.. think GoT) then there is a 100% chance of a furious backlash against the producers for portraying black people in a bad light, especially if the victims are white!!!! (think: Romans would be cast as mostly white). Any genuine attempt to make an accurate and even-handed portrayal of black people would have to include negative notions about their culture or history (even just for the sake of writing a coherent and interesting plot) and that would NOT go across well.....

Search your feelings spider, you know it to be true..

Add to that the fact that it's mostly white folks making it and there'd be people having apoplectic #fits about it one way or another. Already people are crying about 'Confederate' because it's mostly white people talking about slavery and that's somehow/someway not ok or something

(because white people didn't live through that era? They aren't actually BEST placed to write about OWNING slaves? You want to do away with tired plotlines in films, instead of writing yet ANOTHER film from the POV of a slave, write it from the POV of the slave OWNER.. Hey, if you REALLY want to create a #storm, and actually write an interesting story, make it a sympathetic portrayal of a slave owner! Don't you pretend now that ALL white slave owners were HORRIFIC and EVIL.. Let's be totally honest realistic and objective, some of them will have been decent human beings... anyway.. sorry for the digression back to the main point)

The way around some of the "you're portraying black people as the bad guy" is to make the cast ALL black (good guys AND bad guys).
Now I personally think that would be a good way to go (for a variety of reasons) BUT, good luck selling that to a bunch of execs. No, not because they're 'racist ' but because they like MONEY.

The numbers of people they would stand to alienate (unfortunately) is probably quite high and I imagine they'd be unlikely to take a risk (there's VERY little risk taking in Hollywood/tv land these days I think).

I think, personally, that the reason it might alienate a lot of people isn't because the audience is especially racist (though that is exactly how it would be explained; see: dislike of female Ghostbusters automatically = misogynist) but because of the way these things are made to be about race by the media before anyone even has a chance to form a reasoned opinion.

Let's take, for example an all (or majority) black production of one of the kick-ass stories you mentioned (the one with the woman riding the one-eyed elephant/tank into battle... can you just imagine a scene that epic??? An enormous armoured elephant ridden by a beautiful warrior queen, leading an army into a fierce battle before a sweeping African landscape?? Holy #). The show could be genuinely amazing, original, exciting, well written and produced, ground-breaking effects and all the tits and arses and severed limbs that we know and love.

What would the media report on?

Before it was even out?

ALL BLACK CAST!

ALL BLACK PRODUCTION TEAM!

BLACK PEOPLE ONLY!

# WHITEY! GO BLACK PEOPLE YEAH!

Or

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION BY EVIL WHITES IN SUITS. MAKING MONEY OFF BLACK CULTURE/HISTORY ....

Aaaaand this is why we can't have nice things..

So you IMMEDIATELY have a provocative and confrontational situation where people (racist or not) are made to feel as though they are under attack and have to be on the defensive...

It totally sucks but, until people can start to just BE FAIR AND REASONABLE HUMAN BEINGS without a big #ing fanfare one way or another (i.e. just do what you're doing/be whoever you are, without the drama) then we're going to run into crap like this all the time, which limits our potential, creativity and (true and healthy) diversity and is a barrier to real acceptance and equality.

Anyway.. totally hope I'm talking out of my arse (I most probably am. Don't see any references in that wall of text to back up what I'm saying do you?) because I'm sure there must be thousands of awesome stories from many cultures that we could all share, enjoy and be the richer for...

I dont know if that is neccesarily true

Amistad was a great movie. It showed in the beginning Africans being captured by other Africans and sold to the slave ships.

The movie Amistad is widely heralded by all people.

We even watched in in school because of its accurate historical representation in grade school.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

World of Warcraft. Im not to fond of them Blood Elf dudes much. As an undead, I feel all the make-up(human or B.E.) will eventually fade away and expose the true rotten-ugliness that would even make me cringe. But what do I know. Sylvannis is hot. Hahahaaaa.

E.T.A. My references might be a bit outdated. I have been in a coffin since the pandas came along.

edit on 8/18/2017 by Tundra because: Beware the living!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join