It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Producers of HBO’s Confederate Respond to the Backlash and Explain Why .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I was gonna post this in the Television forum, but something tells me the subject matter maybe too spicy, so here we go.

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are no strangers to controversy, be it serious (questions about the show’s handling of sexual violence) or trivial (Ed Sheeran cameos). Whatever experience they’ve mustered over the years dealing with backlash probably came in handy Wednesday when online outrage erupted over the announcement of their first big post-Thrones project. A sci-fi tinged, alternative-history drama called Confederate, the mere idea of the GoT braintrust tackling such a sensitive subject provoked a negative response from a number of critics. “Give me the confidence of white showrunners telling HBO they wanna write slavery fanfic,” tweeted journalist Pilot Viruet. Author Roxane Gay was similarly scornful (“It is exhausting to think of how many people at HBO said yes to letting two white men envision modern day slavery. And offensive”), while actor David Harewood was quick to predict a boycott of the show among fellow thespians.
www.vulture.com...

And as they knew and David Harewood knew, the blacklash would be swift, listen I am for a good alt-time line flick, like Man In The High Castle, and would probabaly not have much difficulty with even the concept of an Alt timeline flick with the civil war in which the south won and slavery of black folks continued but still putting up the good fight.
So what's my problem along with most other Black folk and I suspect quite a few white folk would have little interest in seeing yet another slave flick where inevitably the bad guys would be white and southern, plus just dealing with the real history behind the confederate flags and statues , is toxic enough, but those are not really my concerns, this is what I hate even as an idea .

I am tried of flicks that reinforces the idea that Black folks are and will alway be the once and future slave, to date there have been no period piece that depicts Black folks of having mastery of their own perceived universe, when we know historically that's no where near correct, always the slave although heroic struggle Roots new and old, Turner, 12yrs a slave etc, or objects of pity Blood Diamond or concern..aka the hood movies..yiieks!!!..even the much viewed Empire is really about hoodrats in suits..and the Gay son is the only decent male in the flick..stopped watching after the first three episode.

The thing is there are sooo much good stories that could be explored both fact and fiction or a combination thereof,that showed Blk folks created societies which were the equal or sometimes more advanced than their contemporaries.
Just for the sake of fun, run the biblical list of Begats, for the sons of Ham, and you got some incredible stories.. [Sons of Ham ] the supposed explanation for Black folks everywhere.

Oh land of whirring wings Which lies beyond the rivers of Cush,
Which sends envoys by the sea, Even in papyrus vessels on the surface of the waters.
Go, swift messengers, to a nation tall and smooth, To a people feared far and wide,
A powerful and oppressive nation Whose land the rivers divide.
biblehub.com...

The Above is talking about Kush-ite invasion of Jerusalem to thwart the attack of the invading Assyrians, now tell the Games Of Thrones ppl couldn't have done well with this.
Or about Mansa Musa forbes richest man ever making the billionaires of today looked like paupers, this man spent so gold in one trip that he caused a devaluation in that market for 12yrs.
Or Axumite Ethiopians who dominated the other side of the red sea, and competed successfully with the Persian Empire and Byzantine Romans.
Or The Meroetic queen who stopped the imperial Roman army dead it's tracks , doing this at the head of her army riding on an elephant blinded in one during combat..how badassed was that??..I mean all respects to bodacious bad bitch Boadicea queen of the Iceni , she put up one heckova a fight but lost her lands and her head..she got to have her movie made, but not equally bodacious bad bitch Amanishakheto ,who not only won, and kept her nation free for another 1,700yrs but started a long line of queens who ruled in their own right..yes they had royal hubbies but not as powerful.. Iknow there is a movie in there somewhere.
So to round off my rant ..Hollywood and especially Black Hollywood and the folks at Game of Thrones..love ya'll but do better ,up your game a bit do the stories that have never been done, instead of the same ol same ol with a new twist.
End Rant:[/]]
edit on 25-7-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Why does everything have to be about Race?

If you want to end Racism, stop creating racists by alienating those who aren't, just because they might disagree with you.

This an agenda that quite frankly needs to be put to bed.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I am pretty sure the same complainers would bitch about white dudes using black stories for profit.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

If you want to end Racism, stop creating racists by alienating those who aren't, just because they might disagree with you.

What are you talking about, it involves race because, of how some ppl are constantly portrayed as one dimensional beings, with one dimensional history, and how is it alienating anyone, look at my post again, I lay my rant at Hollywood in general and Black Hollywood in particular since they are writers and producers, who could inform instead of just carrying on.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

I am pretty sure the same complainers would bitch about white dudes using black stories for profit.

Movies have been made by white dudes for profit as well as it should be, my question is why the same ol stories, I would love if Game Of Thrones ppl got behind one of my suggested piece.. more power to them.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

What are talking about, it involves race because, of how some ppl are constantly portrayed as one dimensional beings, with one dimensional history, and how is alienating anyone, look at my post again, I lay my rant at Hollywood in general and Black Hollywood in particular since they are writers and producers who, could inform instead of just carrying on.

Why can't we all just be human beings? Like I already said, why does everything have to be about race?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I really agree with the substance here. Its true, those amazing stories have yet to be told in movies and tv shows. I feel like your post desrves attention, I may forward it to the HBO guys on twitter. What do you think about the creators themselves reading your propositions?? I bet they are simply ignorant to the rich history as much as I.

Hollywood has really played out the Revolution, Civil War and WW2. So much that they are re-doing WW1 and Vietnam dramas now.

I would like to see a mini series or cinematic presentation on this Queen Amanishakheto. She sounds like a true warrior and leader to her people and nation. That would make for some great production. People like Chris Rock and Jada Smith should STFU and put their money where their mouth is and invest in a production like that, or from a historical catalogue of other little discussed footnotes of which you have only touched the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Oh look, another educated and informed person has an opinion. Oh and he has a darker shade of skin, better shut 'em up quick!

You an those who share a combination of the above adjectives are the most dangerous. Not only can you think for yourselves but you aren't hindered by recent jaded history but instead have a firm working knowledge of the mindset behind it.

How I wish that type of thinking was cherished instead of shows like Empire.

More to you post however, I wonder if those outraged by the thought of the GoT showrunners also know that BET is owned by an old white guy.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

What are talking about, it involves race because, of how some ppl are constantly portrayed as one dimensional beings, with one dimensional history, and how is alienating anyone, look at my post again, I lay my rant at Hollywood in general and Black Hollywood in particular since they are writers and producers who, could inform instead of just carrying on.

Why can't we all just be human beings? Like I already said, why does everything have to be about race?

Yes we can Seeker and we are, but when was the last time you saw a movie about folks a group of fellow humans melaninated as they are with recent or actually from the continent called Africa that was not the object of.
Pity
Struggling to escape oppression from
Slavery, and domination in one form or another from a group of folks with recent ancestors or actually from a continent called Europe.
Are you not equally tired of being the evil white guy oppressors in those flicks??
How about a flick that showed more of just one thing...every time.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Yes we can Seeker and we are, but when was the last time you saw a movie about folks a group of fellow humans melaninated as they are with recent or actually from the continent called Africa that was not the object of.
Pity
Slavery, and domination in one form or another from a group of folks with recent ancestors or actually from a continent called Europe.
Are you not equally tired of being the evil white guy oppressors in those flicks??

Last post to you in this thread.

You want to end racism? Stop making everything about your oppression about your skin color. I am white and I am just as damned oppressed by the same corrupt government you are!

Instead of buying into the BS of Race, how about you work on joining up with those who are just as oppressed as you are but of a different skin color to change this nonsense? Divide and Conquer is a tactic that has been used by the ruling class for ages, yet you and many others fall right into their trap!

BTW? Hollywood is the best propaganda the (((MAN))) has to manipulate you!
edit on 25-7-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Oh look, another educated and informed person has an opinion. Oh and he has a darker shade of skin, better shut 'em up quick!

You an those who share a combination of the above adjectives are the most dangerous. Not only can you think for yourselves but you aren't hindered by recent jaded history but instead have a firm working knowledge of the mindset behind it.

How I wish that type of thinking was cherished instead of shows like Empire.

More to you post however, I wonder if those outraged by the thought of the GoT showrunners also know that BET is owned by an old white guy.

Yeah most Black folks knew the original Bob" Johnson owner sold it to Viacom making him Billions , caused some stir about the direction it may go, other than that wasn't much protest about it, on a similar note African American publications like Essence Mag, cause a bit of a stir when a white female became the editor, but not much, I and most blk ppl have no problem with capitalism as long as the product is what I /we expected.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I really agree with the substance here. Its true, those amazing stories have yet to be told in movies and tv shows. I feel like your post desrves attention, I may forward it to the HBO guys on twitter. What do you think about the creators themselves reading your propositions?? I bet they are simply ignorant to the rich history as much as I.

Hollywood has really played out the Revolution, Civil War and WW2. So much that they are re-doing WW1 and Vietnam dramas now.

I would like to see a mini series or cinematic presentation on this Queen Amanishakheto. She sounds like a true warrior and leader to her people and nation. That would make for some great production. People like Chris Rock and Jada Smith should STFU and put their money where their mouth is and invest in a production like that, or from a historical catalogue of other little discussed footnotes of which you have only touched the tip of the iceberg.

Dude or dudette if you have those connects would be great , yes the folks you mention have the money and the skill set to pull it off but won't, and I really care not who pulled it off we all would benefit from the outcome, time to get away from the old narrative.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It's quite possible to entertain with multiple races: Just look at Star Trek. It's just that we keep playing out the old white vs black in tv and film and I do think we are all sick of it-bored silly and tired of the same old stories of all the hate.

Time for more imaginative, insightful and creative stories.

You speak for all of us, especially after the Obama debacle and now the red haired Trump craziness-we don't need more bitterness exploding on the screen.

Time to just stop it all-that includes prejudicial stories of Muslims, American Indians and all the religions. We need some peace, pleeease.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
On another note, Bounce TV is little known gem that I get on antenna. Its like a BET lite, without the overly suggestive consumerism and criminal glorifying music. They still have show some of those same gangster type movies, but play lots of wholesome family stuff as well. They are constantly fighting to be added to cable line-ups in specific markets.

I am guessing they have trouble because they don't want to just piss all over the progress with more garbage content for sponsorship money and such. I like it though and watch it sometimes. Their TV shows are pleasant enough to enjoy.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
It's quite possible to entertain with multiple races: Just look at Star Trek. It's just that we keep playing out the old white vs black in tv and film and I do think we are all sick of it-bored silly and tired of the same old stories of all the hate.

Time for more imaginative, insightful and creative stories.

You speak for all of us, especially after the Obama debacle and now the red haired Trump craziness-we don't need more bitterness exploding on the screen.

Time to just stop it all-that includes prejudicial stories of Muslims, American Indians and all the religions. We need some peace, pleeease.

And the stories I mentioned above would do just that, these stories weren't about Blk vs White , but a meeting of cultures clashes and mixture that resulted from that, noone need to feel depressed about another Slave epic about the hapless black slave and the cruel white inhuman slave master.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

when was the last time you saw a movie about folks a group of fellow humans melaninated as they are with recent or actually from the continent called Africa that was not the object of.
Pity

Hey,

I fully support what you're saying in the OP and I think you're spot on. It's amazing to me really that I have heard of almost none of the historic peple or incidents you referred to. That seems to me a) unfair and b) a waste of good source material.

However, I think you have a major problem with your proposal, and that is the do-gooder PC crowd, the BLM types, the white guilt SJW types and those who are easily offended, and here's why:

If you create a show that accurately portrays the grotesqueries of the culture of that time (i.e. show black people doing horrible #, which would include owning and treating people as slaves, murdering and raping etc.. think GoT) then there is a 100% chance of a furious backlash against the producers for portraying black people in a bad light, especially if the victims are white!!!! (think: Romans would be cast as mostly white). Any genuine attempt to make an accurate and even-handed portrayal of black people would have to include negative notions about their culture or history (even just for the sake of writing a coherent and interesting plot) and that would NOT go across well.....

Search your feelings spider, you know it to be true..

Add to that the fact that it's mostly white folks making it and there'd be people having apoplectic #fits about it one way or another. Already people are crying about 'Confederate' because it's mostly white people talking about slavery and that's somehow/someway not ok or something

(because white people didn't live through that era? They aren't actually BEST placed to write about OWNING slaves? You want to do away with tired plotlines in films, instead of writing yet ANOTHER film from the POV of a slave, write it from the POV of the slave OWNER.. Hey, if you REALLY want to create a #storm, and actually write an interesting story, make it a sympathetic portrayal of a slave owner! Don't you pretend now that ALL white slave owners were HORRIFIC and EVIL.. Let's be totally honest realistic and objective, some of them will have been decent human beings... anyway.. sorry for the digression back to the main point)

The way around some of the "you're portraying black people as the bad guy" is to make the cast ALL black (good guys AND bad guys).
Now I personally think that would be a good way to go (for a variety of reasons) BUT, good luck selling that to a bunch of execs. No, not because they're 'racist ' but because they like MONEY.

The numbers of people they would stand to alienate (unfortunately) is probably quite high and I imagine they'd be unlikely to take a risk (there's VERY little risk taking in Hollywood/tv land these days I think).

I think, personally, that the reason it might alienate a lot of people isn't because the audience is especially racist (though that is exactly how it would be explained; see: dislike of female Ghostbusters automatically = misogynist) but because of the way these things are made to be about race by the media before anyone even has a chance to form a reasoned opinion.

Let's take, for example an all (or majority) black production of one of the kick-ass stories you mentioned (the one with the woman riding the one-eyed elephant/tank into battle... can you just imagine a scene that epic??? An enormous armoured elephant ridden by a beautiful warrior queen, leading an army into a fierce battle before a sweeping African landscape?? Holy #). The show could be genuinely amazing, original, exciting, well written and produced, ground-breaking effects and all the tits and arses and severed limbs that we know and love.

What would the media report on?

Before it was even out?

ALL BLACK CAST!

ALL BLACK PRODUCTION TEAM!

BLACK PEOPLE ONLY!

# WHITEY! GO BLACK PEOPLE YEAH!

Or

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION BY EVIL WHITES IN SUITS. MAKING MONEY OFF BLACK CULTURE/HISTORY ....

Aaaaand this is why we can't have nice things..

So you IMMEDIATELY have a provocative and confrontational situation where people (racist or not) are made to feel as though they are under attack and have to be on the defensive...

It totally sucks but, until people can start to just BE FAIR AND REASONABLE HUMAN BEINGS without a big #ing fanfare one way or another (i.e. just do what you're doing/be whoever you are, without the drama) then we're going to run into crap like this all the time, which limits our potential, creativity and (true and healthy) diversity and is a barrier to real acceptance and equality.

Anyway.. totally hope I'm talking out of my arse (I most probably am. Don't see any references in that wall of text to back up what I'm saying do you?) because I'm sure there must be thousands of awesome stories from many cultures that we could all share, enjoy and be the richer for...

edit on 25-7-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Oh and just to add.. I don't think it's a majority of people (of any race or persuasion) doing the spoiling for the rest of us. It's a small-ish but VERY loud group of tossers, boo-hooing about every little thing, who for some reason, seem to carry a lot of sway..

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

The stories need not be soapy and wishy washy, and will there be complaints of some sorts maybe, the movies both Turner and Roots the new version received scant love from Blk audiences and both were made up of Black producers and directors, not to mention the casting, it's the subject matter that's tiresome, a great movie is a great movie and will remain timeless.

And like I said these script really wrote themselves.
This supposed response from the Queen of Kush Amanishakheto. when asked to meet with Augustus caesar by an envoy from Rome.

Caesar?? who is this Caesar, we know him not!

Meaning who the hell do he think he is, asking me to come meet with him..lol
the result was war, she invaded Roman occupied Egypt and sacked the upper Egyptian capital of Thebes and he retaliates by invading Kush, she returned the favor,

Captured Roman POWs and Egyptian allie ??

The statue of Augustus Caesar , decapitated from the body her during her invasion of Roman occupied Egypt was found buried beneath her temple so all could trample over his body for all times.

I am willing to bet that the yeasayers would beat out the naysayers if this flick was to be made and not be crappy,it would be a win, in the likes of Spartacus and Rome. sword and sandals action, sex ( hopefully a lil nudity) great story line..critics would STFU.
And most importantly informative and truly groundbreaking.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   

When have black folks been masters of their own destiny in recorded history lol?!?!

In the middle of Africa pre-European expansion??

That is a narrow time frame to make a film about..

I actually think quite the opposite..

Most movies portraying civil rights and slavery focus on either some white savior saving the poor Africans, or portray it as if civil rights was a "black only " fight. When in reality it has always been a multicultural group who actually effected change..

I understand the desire to undo all the anti minority propaganda from earlier generations, but that recieves the same pushback and allows for exactly the same counter points.

People need a history lesson though concerning the confederates and the precivil war south. There is no glorious history there..

It was a group of traitors who used propaganda to bamboozale the southern population with by saying..

"If Lincoln wins he will free all the slaves and make your daughters marry them!!"

Something that lincoin had no desire to do.

The southern elites made a power play to start their own nation and failed at the cost of 10s of thousands of lives. Including countless US service members..

Sporting the confederate flag is the least patriotic ting you could ever do as an American.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You can't just forget about race when it's effects are still so acutely felt..

Previous to the last generation or 2 NO black person recieved ANY benefit from their forefathers labor.

None recieved land, or a buisness or an inheritance..

Al of those things went to those oppressing them.

That doesn't go away in 50 years..and is kinda crappy to ask people to forget that and move on..

It is saying "can't we just forget about racism and me still keep all the benefits of slavery and segregation??"

Do modern day "whites" who did not profit from slavery and such owe blacks for the sins of previous generations with light skin??

Of course not...

But what about the cases where there is a clear paper trail where "blood money" has funneled down through the generations??

Absolutely i think.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join