It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snopes might shut down.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
its misinformation. if they couldn't edit or change the website then they couldn't place a banner on their website asking people to donate.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: Painterz
As soon as they started pointing out that Trump tells a lot of lies, a bunch of people really started hating them.

Source?

This thread?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

As soon as they started pointing out that Trump tells a lot of lies, a bunch of people really started hating them.

No, their partisan bias has been obvious since the Clinton Administration.

Even back in the 1990's, you could see them twisting logic to give Bill the benefit of the doubt.
edit on 25-7-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Great one leftist rag down and many more to go.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Source?

This thread?

Ah, no wonder you like Snopes, you pull sources outta yer own butt and call it fact, too.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Aren't you still claiming Obama's birth certificate is fake? Based off of "sources outta yer own butt" and calling them fact.

Yeah... thought so.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How will they get their Meth Money now?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Aren't you still claiming Obama's birth certificate is fake? Based off of "sources outta yer own butt" and calling them fact.

Yeah... thought so.

No, I say that based on the photo that is STILL PUBLISHED at Factcheck.org of the backside of the seal which is mislabeled 'The raised seal,' and verified through open records requests I sent to the director of the Hawaii Department of Health and via the agency's published regulations.

That's how actual factchecking should work.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Pretty good article in The Atlantic about this. Here's the intro.

On Monday, the editorial staff of Snopes.com wrote a short plea for help. The post said that the site needed money to fund its operations because another company that Snopes had contracted with “continues to essentially hold the Snopes.com web site hostage.”

“Our legal team is fighting hard for us, but, having been cut off from all revenue, we are facing the prospect of having no financial means to continue operating the site and paying our staff (not to mention covering our legal fees) in the meanwhile,” the note continued.

LINK

Worth a read, IMO.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm starting to wonder how much good $500,000 is going to do for them, between trying to pay their staff and fight a (potentially long & protracted) legal battle.

Given the Mikkelsons' previous financial misdealings, part of me is wondering if this is essentially a scam, and the founder is going to announce that he's "forced to accept that he cannot win the lawsuit" (or something to that effect), and then he'll pocket the half-million bucks and disappear.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Personally I think this is a money grab attempt out of weak minded liberals, they will get their money and even if the goal won't be reached the site will go on. Mark my words on that.

Second, again like every time, it's hilarious to witness liberals saying things like "if you don't like snopes, you don't like facts" as if snopes the universal truth for all. Hell they've been proven wrong on so many occasions I don't know how people still go there for "fact checking".
Reminds me of this gem;

If we were living not in bizzaro world, this would be seen as an insult to anyone's intelligence.
edit on 25-7-2017 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Personally I think this is a money grab attempt out of weak minded liberals, they will get their money and even if the goal won't be reached the site will go on. Mark my words on that.

Second, again like every time, it's hilarious to witness liberals saying things like "if you don't like snopes, you don't like facts" as if snopes the universal truth for all. Hell they've been proven wrong on so many occasions I don't know how people still go there for "fact checking".
Reminds me of this gem;

If we were living not in bizzaro world, this would be seen as an insult to anyone's intelligence.

That's a perfect example of why so many of us don't like Snopes. They do stuff like that constantly: phrasing the claim in such a way that they can say it's false, even if large portions of the claim are really true.

For example, if Snopes was going to rate Trump's claim that the Obama Admin "tapped his lines," I guarantee you they would do what libs on this board did: get hung up on the technical definition of 'wire tapping', which would allow them to label the claim "False" because nobody literally broke into Trump Tower and surreptitiously wired a listening device into the phone lines. They would completely ignore the fact that most people would understand "tapped his lines" to encompass any form of government monitoring of his communications. That's an important omission, because the Obama Administration did in fact monitor Trump's communications, so by a common-sense standard Trump's claim is verifiably true.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

YUP, we should get our FACTS from old conservatives!!!

Well, we could always find them for our selves instead of relying on anyone else. I know that takes tons of effort though.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I agree with OP an and many others. Snopes has been caught twisting the truth enough they are not considered reliable, top that off with political bias and suddenly you Alienate your viewers.

Love the liberals defending the site, always fun to see them express their sadness by lashing out at anyone who disagrees with them in a passive aggressive manner.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I am suspicious, as well.

From their gofundme page:

Please note that any amounts sent to Snopes.com through gofundme.com or otherwise are purely a donation, and this is not an offer to purchase securities or any other interest in Snopes.com (or its parent company). All donations are non-refundable, and you will own no equity, debt, or other interest in Snopes.com (or its parent company) as a result of your donation. Since Snopes.com (and its parent company) is not a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, donations are not tax-deductible as a charitable contribution but will be allocated in their entirety to operating expenses, legal fees, and the continuation of our overall mission to fight misinformation.

They can pretty much do what they want with the money unless someone who donated to them holds them accountable for fraud.

But, as of now, they have collected well over $500,000 from mindless saps that are grateful for being defrauded.

edit on 7/25/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

This was the first article I found and it's about politifact, but snopes applies the same techniques: thefederalist.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

What's funny about the wire tapping claim is that the technical definition includes basically all electronic surveillance. So they're incorrect, but they cling to a dictionary definition to try to obfuscate.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan>>>. The check from George Soros must have bounced or he stopped paying. There are rumors that him and his bunch are getting nervous about something headed their way and are preparing to take it on the lam and that means money is being put aside and funneled overseas. That leaves their stooges suddenly strapped for cash and they have to beg from the dullards they had as their target audience. Hopefully the trolls and shills will stop getting paid and will just stop posting here and elsewhere. Or better, they might just come clean and relate who paid them to push disinformation and what the goal was.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl
I think the trolls & shills have already been laid off. The ATS crowd appears to have dwindled down to only a couple of dedicated Democratic water-carriers. It was like a roach infestation before.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

ShareBlue is collapsing as well, a bunch of anons on 4chan were celebrating the latest round of layoffs. Fun times.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join