It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old raped by relative can have abortion without parents’ consent, Alabama court rules

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LungFuMoShi
I think it's indicative of not only the type of mindset or personality that you have, but also of your poor assessment of the majority of women.

I can't defend my mindset or personality, it is what it is.
However it's not a women thing. It's a people thing.

If you put up a system that makes it beneficial to lie then people will lie.
Under your utopian idea I'm sure plenty of rapists will lie about the rape and say the woman just wants an abortion.

It's just not workable and so full of holes it's pointless to implement.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

I second this motion!

I'm not 100% against abortion. I believe there are exceptinal circumstances - pregnancies caused by rape or incest being probably the most obvious.

But I don't agree with people having sex, carefree like it's no big deal...caring not one whit about the consequences...meh! I'll just get RID of IT!

I'd like a court to one day rule that an idiot who had contraceptive free sex absolutely must give birth or be jailed. Getting rid of unwanted pregnancies willy-nilly...simply because you were too ignorant to care at the time of conception is pretty low and shouldn't be encouraged.

People care too much about sex and not enough about the results..if you can't get an abortion..chuck an xbox at IT and the xbox will raise IT for you.

Problem solved.

Roughly 650k abortions a year.
Those are the reported ones, and within the guidelines of the laws for what ever state.

That's 650k children not growing up in poverty, to single mothers, to struggling parents, teenagers, rape victims, negligent parents, etc, etc.

I'd feel bad for all those children. Woman forced to have the child, one they don't even want.
It's rather rare that someone gets an abortion because a married couple just doesn't want it.

There's also major societal issues with banning abortions, it goes hand in hand with poverty. It happened in Poland.

Yeah...you...you're right, put 'em down like dogs I say.

They're just a drain on the economy...nobody wants 'em. She should be allowed to simply throw babies away like a cheap, outdated phone.

That's how the world is now...abortions should be allowed because the ignorant idiot who can't keep her legs shut is also too lazy and stupid to financially and adequately support and raise her offspring.

Fair enough - I lose.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

I second this motion!

I'm not 100% against abortion. I believe there are exceptinal circumstances - pregnancies caused by rape or incest being probably the most obvious.

But I don't agree with people having sex, carefree like it's no big deal...caring not one whit about the consequences...meh! I'll just get RID of IT!

I'd like a court to one day rule that an idiot who had contraceptive free sex absolutely must give birth or be jailed. Getting rid of unwanted pregnancies willy-nilly...simply because you were too ignorant to care at the time of conception is pretty low and shouldn't be encouraged.

People care too much about sex and not enough about the results..if you can't get an abortion..chuck an xbox at IT and the xbox will raise IT for you.

Problem solved.

Roughly 650k abortions a year.
Those are the reported ones, and within the guidelines of the laws for what ever state.

That's 650k children not growing up in poverty, to single mothers, to struggling parents, teenagers, rape victims, negligent parents, etc, etc.

I'd feel bad for all those children. Woman forced to have the child, one they don't even want.
It's rather rare that someone gets an abortion because a married couple just doesn't want it.

There's also major societal issues with banning abortions, it goes hand in hand with poverty. It happened in Poland.

Yeah...you...you're right, put 'em down like dogs I say.

They're just a drain on the economy...nobody wants 'em. She should be allowed to simply throw babies away like a cheap, outdated phone.

That's how the world is now...abortions should be allowed because the ignorant idiot who can't keep her legs shut is also too lazy and stupid to financially and adequately support and raise her offspring.

Fair enough - I lose.

What babies?
They aren't throwing babies away.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LungFuMoShi

Yep...unfortunately there are problems with loads of things, there always will be.

That's right, like control freaks that don't know how to mind their own business and feel entitled to make decisions for others based on BS religious principals.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

No utopia here, my friend.

I already pointed out earlier that to expect a world free of consequence and problem is completely unrealistic and unfeasible.

the people who think it's a utopia are the ones who think it's fine to get preggers then simply chuck it away like it's an old toaster so they can continue their lame lifestyle...god forbid their offspring makes it harder to party, or do drugs or whatever.

No...I can assure you my life is far from a utopia. For example...if I get a girl pregnant that child WILL be born, it'll probably be a pain in the backside and will have a considerable affect on my life. That's called consequence...no utopia here.

Try stepping out and looking in.
edit on 24/7/2017 by LungFuMoShi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

my biggest gripe comes in when the da decides to interfere and delays even longer! he's either a stupid dumb... or he's just pretending to care about what is in this girl's best interest. it certainly had nothing to do with what was in the best interest for the girl's health!!!

I agree the da had no reason to interfere, as the state approved the procedure, but the da had the right to. After looking at the appeal the girl still gets the procedure.
I hope that along with the procedure the girl gets the help she needs. It appears from the story she will need a lot of assistance to get through this horrible situation and have a "normal" life.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Who is religious?

Are you implying that I'm religious?

I can link you to the thread I took part in a few months ago where I argued absolutely in favour of erradicating all religions.

Nope...not religious, can one not value human life without religion?

I believe they can...nice assumption but you're 100% wrong. Must be confusing me with someone else.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I can't find the story again, but I do believe that the rapist is facing 10-15 years in jail....

I hope so, but rape is so, so hard to prove--hopefully it works out in the favor of the girl.

Regardless, it's nice to agree for a change.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

but I am in a position that a pregnancy in a 12 year old child poses enough risk health wise to the child that it should negate any of that or any other argument really..
okay let's assume that the 12 year old isn't mentally capable of making her own decisions...
her health, maybe her life, is still in danger. the parents seem to be crap as far as parents go, which is why she is in foster care. so, well, if you can use the excuse that she isn't mentally capable of making her own decision, and someone has to make it for her... why parents or foster care system decide that it's in her best interest (which in this case it true) to have the abortion, weather she wants it or not??
I once know a women, who although she wasn't that young at the time, mentally she was... who was forced into an abortion because of the meds she was on.... she didn't handle that one too well psychologically any more than this girl may have handled being forced to carry the baby and give it up for adoption.
those prolifers speaking out aren't in any position to determine what would be best for the girl, neither are the judges deciding the case. the foster care and medical staff would be in a better position to make the decision after spending time with her and discussing and informing her of the options available to her, the risks involved, ect...
and what she wanted should be the most important factor of everything, since it's her that would be effected the most by the decision.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yeah, hard to prove.

Unless it's a false rape allegation, apparently - those are treated as gospel and allegedly extremely easy to prove.

Someone told me...on the internet.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: dawnstar

Yes i agree this is cruel and totally senseless.I am pro-life but in the case of rape i can support the abortion,most especially if the rape victim is this young!What i do not understand-why was this child not given the morning after pill,after the rape,just to be on the safe side? That would have negated the need for all this trauma.

She is 12 was raped and impregnated by a relative her mother turned abusive when she found out.

12 years old. The morning after pill. Just think about that for a minute and I am sure you can figure out why she didn't have access to them.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Who is religious?

Are you implying that I'm religious?

I can link you to the thread I took part in a few months ago where I argued absolutely in favour of erradicating all religions.

Nope...not religious, can one not value human life without religion?

I believe they can...nice assumption but you're 100% wrong. Must be confusing me with someone else.

Then forget the religious part and mind your own business. We also don't need your personal arrogant sense of morality making decisions for others either.

link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: shooterbrody

I do not know of any legal situation in which a 12yo is allowed to make legal decisions, abortion or otherwise, for themselves.

California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Delaware, Maine, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Montana, New Jersey and Vermont all allow minors to choose abortion without parental or court ordered consent.

Abortion isn't a states rights issue, it's a federal civil rights issue. Either the choice is between a woman and her doctor, as Roe V Wade says, or it isn't. It's not the slippery slope that pro-lifers want to make it out to be.

well now
California is the first on your list so that is where i started.
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...
that leads one to this
codes.findlaw.com...
which says this

(a) Except in a medical emergency requiring immediate medical action, no abortion shall be performed upon an unemancipated minor unless she first has given her written consent to the abortion and also has obtained the written consent of one of her parents or legal guardian.

so the first state you quoted is incorrect

Abortion isn't a states rights issue, it's a federal civil rights issue. Either the choice is between a woman and her doctor, as Roe V Wade says, or it isn't. It's not the slippery slope that pro-lifers want to make it out to be.

and that is only your opinion it is not based in reality or fact

link   

Fair enough, I guess I just can't compete with your proud and noble ways.

I just hope you are clear about this with your GF.
It would be a shame if she didn't realise she has to make the choice alone.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The point is...in my 36 years on this earth I've had numerous sexual partners.

I've had zer children, you know why? Because I've never wanted to have children. So precautions are taken...sound religious? I'd say no.

Sounds to me like people want to have their cake and eat it....it's not so much about trying to control people, it's more trying not to promote and advocate a selfish mindset or viewpoint.

It's ok to get pregnant...simply kill it and start over!

Yaaaay! Y'all know it's disgusting...just can't handle it when people are honest so resort to petty insinuations and labelling...RELIGIOUS NUTTER! CONTROL FREAK!

Check your promiscuous privilege!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

what...claim that the baby she's having belongs to a stranger who raped her instead of her husband?

Correction, the baby she's NOT having, due to the rape.

They can do tests, you know...again, not old fashioned.

So? Tests are expensive, Who's going to pay for it? There are tens of thousands of untested rape kits sitting in storage for lack of funds and personnel.

And, what's this about old fashion? In the old days they would not only kill the fetus but the mother along with it, rape or no rape.

Then his defense lawyer would demand a DNA test...and she's get caught, lying.

What? They can't try a unknown stranger.

Look, the bottom line is, if you require rape as a prerequisite to abortion, you're going to get a lot of women crying "rape". That's not good for men, the legal system or women.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Fair enough - I lose.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

in this case the "she" is a twelve year old child, one that if fully aware of what life in the foster system is like since this is the fifth time she's been placed in it. here is the choice that has been given to her because some stupid jack... just couldn't control himself...
she can risk her life, her health, her ability to have children in the future and try to bring the child to term, in hopes that someone will adopt it, otherwise, it will lead the same life she has faced so often in her short 12 years on this grand planet... being shuffled around in the foster care system...
or aborting it, the earlier the better really...

shall we throw away the unborn baby, or the 12 year old child???

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah, that's how the world works.

Defense: Your honor, the defendant claims that the baby this person is having is not his...in fact e claims he never even had sex with the person in question, and that if we conduct a DNA test we can prove conclusively that he is 100% innocent of rape!

Judge: Pah...those tests are too expensive... LOCK HIM UP!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join