It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old raped by relative can have abortion without parents’ consent, Alabama court rules

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

so, should we ignore that small percentage, throw hurdles in their way in hopes that it will block their path? read the danged laws, that have been passed, or attempted...
a 12 year old child might be women enough to get pregnant, but she very well might not be women enough to endure a pregnancy without ill health effects... if she has staunchly pro-life parent's, should her life depend on their consent?
should a women who knows that a pregnancy will cause problems, risk her life, should she really have to travel hundreds a miles to get to one of the few abortion clinics still open?
those laws show little regard for women's lives and health!!

(post by UnBreakable removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I can't find the story again, but I do believe that the rapist is facing 10-15 years in jail....
while the crazy prolifers spouting on the media seem to want this girl to go a lifetime either wondering what has become of her baby or trying to survive and live and raise a kid with a 5th grade education the rest of her life or something...
that's if she would actually survive the pregnancy with her health intact!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

she was in foster care, she had been placed into foster care around 5 times if I remember right.

So then it is a matter of that states law, is it not?
If the state has taken custody of the child the state is responsible is it not?
It appears the state filed the correct paperwork for the child and it was approved in juvenile court.
Do you have any problems with the process up until that point?

As to the district attorney that appealed the juvenile court decision, hopefully that is an elected and not appointed position and the public servant will have to answer to the voters on election day.
Or are you against all appeals in general?

weather you like it or not.... abortion is legal in the US. the "pro-life" group can't find a way to reverse roe v. wade, so they come up with these insane laws that just keep restricting it more and more, or trying to eliminate abortion providers... but all these laws seem to miss one very important fact.... there's health risks involved in any pregnancy!! sometimes these risks far outweigh the possibility of actually having the pregnancy produce a living, healthy baby. placing hurdles in front of such rape victims for them to jump over to obtain an abortion only serves to increase that risk!!! tell me, just who should decide weather a young girl should be able to live, or that her life should be placed in harms way in hope that a new life will be brought forth, if not the young girl herself!!!

Weather you like it or not it appears the state followed its laws. I do not know of any legal situation in which a 12yo is allowed to make legal decisions, abortion or otherwise, for themselves.
I have not advocated for either side in this case.
This case is very sad, and the solution for the child will involve much more than an abortion.
To try and break this case down to abortion good/bad is a farce.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LungFuMoShi
I'd like a court to one day rule that an idiot who had contraceptive free sex absolutely must give birth or be jailed.

Great so you've given the woman who refuses to have a child the choice of jail or accusing the father of rape.
Can you see any possible problem with that?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yep.

There's gonna be problems...with all sorts of things...do you actualyl think the world should be free of consequence and problem?

I mean...it sounds good on paper but it simply isn't realistic.

Yep...unfortunately there are problems with loads of things, there always will be.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

the reason why the courts got into it was because the law says that a minor has to have parental permission for it...
so, the girl with the counseling provided to her by the foster care system, decided that ya, she should be able to get the abortion.... mind you that the mother went off on her when she found out about the pregnancy and this is why she was placed in foster care AGAIN!! so, they assisted her in getting the waiver..
okay, as far as I am concerned, as long as they didn't have to wait months for the hearing for that waiver!!
my biggest gripe comes in when the da decides to interfere and delays even longer! he's either a stupid dumb... or he's just pretending to care about what is in this girl's best interest.
it certainly had nothing to do with what was in the best interest for the girl's health!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm actually sitting here now and wondering why you don't think aborting a healthy pregnancy for no reason other than...selfish...isn't a problem.

What constitutes a problem? A difficult situation that has no clear or easy answer? Or is it only a problem if you as an individual believe it to be so?

Why have you decided one problem is less important than another? to me murder is a far more serious problem than some false rape allegation.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
And, let's be honest...most wimmin ain't nasty enough to turn and accuse the father of their child of rape simply so they can get rid of it...if they're willing to do that they were either genuinely raped or just so damn nasty they deserve neither a loving man nor a child.

But still...an odd world you permeate, where a woman will instantly cry rape if she isn't allowed to have an abortion and has to live with te consequences.

Strange.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I do not know of any legal situation in which a 12yo is allowed to make legal decisions, abortion or otherwise, for themselves.

California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Delaware, Maine, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Montana, New Jersey and Vermont all allow minors to choose abortion without parental or court ordered consent.

Abortion isn't a states rights issue, it's a federal civil rights issue. Either the choice is between a woman and her doctor, as Roe V Wade says, or it isn't. It's not the slippery slope that pro-lifers want to make it out to be.
edit on 24-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Plus...folks be all like...yeah, she found out she was 3 months pregnant last night then suddenly accused her boyfriend/husband of rape.

Don't make no sense, cos...cos, they've been together over the last 3 months...it stands to reason that she was in a happy relationship for a long time...I saw them at the cinema last night and they were holding hands...now she's saying he raped her 3 months ago and she wants an abortion.

Sorry...your version of reality seems to be littered with inconsistencies and plot holes.

But it's fun to speculate.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LungFuMoShi

I think an innocent man being sent to prison because a woman is coerced into false accusations is something we should try and avoid.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

But...it's speculative.

You are making a rather absurd assumption...you're basically saying that women are so nasty and fickle, that when they face such a situation they'll immediately point to the man ans lie and say "it was him, he raped me!"

I think it's indicative of not only the type of mindset or personality that you have, but also of your poor assessment of the majority of women.

Besides...it should be relatively easy to prove rape allegations are false...like I said, if a woman find out she's say...2 weeks pregnant, it would be hard for her to prove that the person who impregnated her was a rapist if he wasn't.

I mean...they would probably have friends and family...dad be like wtf I saaw them yesterday holding hands.

You're going off on a rather ridiculous and purely hypothetical tangent, but talking as though it's absolutely what will 100% happen.

I disagree.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm even more old fashioned...
I think that before the man or women decide to do the act, well, they should really consider weather or not they want to have the person in their lives for a few decades or more!! gee, if people would do just that, probably would cut the abortion rate down some..
but, in this case it's irrelevant because a 12 year old isn't mature enough to consider that and I find it questionable weather she even had a choice in the matter to begin with!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

As long as you are willing to take and look after all those unwanted babies then fine.

Otherwise shut up and mind your own business.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LungFuMoShi

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

I second this motion!

I'm not 100% against abortion. I believe there are exceptinal circumstances - pregnancies caused by rape or incest being probably the most obvious.

But I don't agree with people having sex, carefree like it's no big deal...caring not one whit about the consequences...meh! I'll just get RID of IT!

I'd like a court to one day rule that an idiot who had contraceptive free sex absolutely must give birth or be jailed. Getting rid of unwanted pregnancies willy-nilly...simply because you were too ignorant to care at the time of conception is pretty low and shouldn't be encouraged.

People care too much about sex and not enough about the results..if you can't get an abortion..chuck an xbox at IT and the xbox will raise IT for you.

Problem solved.

Roughly 650k abortions a year.
Those are the reported ones, and within the guidelines of the laws for what ever state.

That's 650k children not growing up in poverty, to single mothers, to struggling parents, teenagers, rape victims, negligent parents, etc, etc.

I'd feel bad for all those children. Woman forced to have the child, one they don't even want.
It's rather rare that someone gets an abortion because a married couple just doesn't want it.

There's also major societal issues with banning abortions, it goes hand in hand with poverty. It happened in Poland.

link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Exaclty...o;d fashioned my scrote...there's nothing old fashioned about abortion.

People who have consentual sex then want an abortion are very much people of the modern era...the era of throwaway appliances and babies.

Nout old fashioned about it.

link   

You are making a rather absurd assumption...you're basically saying that women are so nasty and fickle, that when they face such a situation they'll immediately point to the man ans lie and say "it was him, he raped me!"

She doesn't have to do that. She can claim it was a stranger, or that she must have been drugged and unconscious.
edit on 24-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
women should be allowed to get abortions, its their bodies... what gives the right to anyone to dictate what another person can do with their own body...

what i find funny.. is that most people who are against it, and so it must be born! but than when it is.. they couldnt care about what happen to it, they would complain about the mother/kid being a leech on welfare.... so why should people take "pro-life" people seriously?
edit on 24-7-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

She doesn't have to do that. She can claim it was a stranger, or that she must have been drugged and unconscious.

what...claim that the baby she's having belongs to a stranger who raped her instead of her husband?

They can do tests, you know...again, not old fashioned.

I'd imagine the accused would be like...wtf, I never impregnated her.

Then his defense lawyer would demand a DNA test...and she's get caught, lying.

See..it's easier to make the accusation than it is to prove a falsehood...in fact, if you scrutinise enought o a great enough extend...you can absolutely disprove a false claim without any doubt.

That's what I meant earlier.

So it is.

Still...I love the mental gymnastics...I fully expect folk to try as hard as possible to justify their beliefs so I can't blame you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join