It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old raped by relative can have abortion without parents’ consent, Alabama court rules

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Let me just say that I am aware that abortion is legal.

Now, if children of illegal aliens should not be punished with deportation because of the actions of their parents, why are we punishing a child with death over the actions of his/her parents?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

considering what the op is about, I just can't tell...
which child do you see as being punished in this case???

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

considering what the op is about, I just can't tell...
which child do you see as being punished in this case???

*sigh*

Look, you have no problem with abortion, I get that. Many people don't have a problem with it.

I will still consider it to be the murder of an unborn child.

Some threads I should never walk into. My mistake. . . .

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Simple answer.
Because 1 death is better than 2.

There will always be people who don't want to be pregnant and there's only 3 option.

You can chain them up until they give birth.
You can allow them to have a safe abortion performed by professionals.
You can wait until they try their first medical procedure on themselves.

I would vote for the 2nd option, which would you go for?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I agree the young age of the girl complicates the situation. Not knowing the law in that state I would assume she is not able to make legal decisions for herself.
If she can not make legal decisions for herself, how do you propose this be resolved without involving the court?
Is this the only issue you feel there should be no appeals process for? Had she been turned down should she be able to appeal?

No one should have gone to the media with any of this. This should have been held as confidential as possible.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: shooterbrody

If not through the courts how do you propose this be done?

Through doctors?

So doctors now can determine legal decisions for those under age?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Just leave the decision up to the white, fat, old men like we always do in this country. It's an established pattern....

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
More black children are aborted than are born.

No agenda there

Divide yourselves amongst your talking points.

Don't know what that has to do with anything

If black women are having abortions surely that is their choice

It is legal ... and no one is forcing them ....

So whats your point

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Through doctors?

It shouldn't be a "legal" issue. It's a health issue. It's an issue between a woman and her doctor, not legislators.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Through doctors?

It shouldn't be a "legal" issue. It's a health issue. It's an issue between a woman and her doctor, not legislators.

I believe that is part of the problem, a 12 year old is not a "woman".

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

*sigh*

Look, you have no problem with abortion, I get that. Many people don't have a problem with it.

I will still consider it to be the murder of an unborn child.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to .... but it is not your choice!

Stop trying to force your opinions on to others.

People need to mind their own business.

Some threads I should never walk into. My mistake. . . .

some people never learn

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

she was in foster care, she had been placed into foster care around 5 times if I remember right.
do you really believe that neglectful, abusive parents, or any parent should be able to force pregnancy onto a young child to begin with? and this isn't a "legal decision", it's a healthcare decision!!
so, who should decide?? the doctors and patient!

weather you like it or not.... abortion is legal in the US. the "pro-life" group can't find a way to reverse roe v. wade, so they come up with these insane laws that just keep restricting it more and more, or trying to eliminate abortion providers...
but all these laws seem to miss one very important fact....
there's health risks involved in any pregnancy!! sometimes these risks far outweigh the possibility of actually having the pregnancy produce a living, healthy baby. placing hurdles in front of such rape victims for them to jump over to obtain an abortion only serves to increase that risk!!!
tell me, just who should decide weather a young girl should be able to live, or that her life should be placed in harms way in hope that a new life will be brought forth, if not the young girl herself!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Through doctors?

I believe that is part of the problem, a 12 year old is not a "woman".

She's "woman" enough to get pregnant. That's the defining factor. She knows that she has something growing inside of her that she didn't ask for or agree to. She wants it out!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
But, but...but god willed that baby into her and how do we know it was a legitimate rape?

You don't have to believe in God to be against killing babies.

.....and no where in the Bible does it say God opposes abortion. In fact the Old Testament has stories about God taking vengeance and killing unborn babies. God himself performs abortions - they're called miscarriages.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

Exactly. I have no issue with abortions when the mother's life is at risk, rape, or the child will be severely disabled. However, we all know these are a very small percentage of the abortions performed. For pro choice folks to use these examples as if they are the norm is intellectually dishonest.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Rape is one instance that I'm okay with elective abortion, but coupling that fact that it was incestuous rape (assuming the uncle was a blood relative...for possible birth-defect reasons) AND that she is only 12 (poor girl), it's absolutely an acceptable decision, especially considering that it's not very convincing that the family dynamic would lead to much help in raising the child very well.

I feel for this girl--raped, pregnant, and having an abortion all before 13 years old. Sad.

My question is this: Did the uncle get charged with rape? Is the mother indicted on charges of abuse?

Mark this one down as one on which we agree, Dawnstar.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Let's say they make it health, rape and disability are the only reasons for an abortion.
How can you prove rape?

Isn't it equally intellectually dishonest to allow a massive loophole which would make any restrictions against abortion pointless?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

It's one of those issues where mental maturity matters, and I don't think that, at 12 years old and living in a house of sexual and physical abuse, that she is probably mature enough to understand the full ramification of an abortion (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.) OR a choice to keep and raise the child.

I think that in this instance, an abortion is appropriate if that is her decision coupled with discussions with healthcare workers and maybe even a psychologist concerning possible future emotions concerning the decision either way.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Way to cherry pick one case out of 600k abortions per year. I am against abortion overall but am fine with it being allowed in the case of rape, which is maybe 3% of all abortions. Get rid of the other 598k convenience abortions the USA does.

I second this motion!

I'm not 100% against abortion. I believe there are exceptinal circumstances - pregnancies caused by rape or incest being probably the most obvious.

But I don't agree with people having sex, carefree like it's no big deal...caring not one whit about the consequences...meh! I'll just get RID of IT!

I'd like a court to one day rule that an idiot who had contraceptive free sex absolutely must give birth or be jailed. Getting rid of unwanted pregnancies willy-nilly...simply because you were too ignorant to care at the time of conception is pretty low and shouldn't be encouraged.

People care too much about sex and not enough about the results..if you can't get an abortion..chuck an xbox at IT and the xbox will raise IT for you.

Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Incredibly complex ethical situation. However, reality is going to continue without human morality. Our current moral compass is a social contract with a constitution and a legal history.

We certainly don't want to be a society that kills living beings needlessly for repeated mistakes, but medically the high ranking staff should be able to have an ethical debate about these type of situations with the parents and patient. Over regulating can be medical disaster territory and under regulating can be gross negligence.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join