It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Driving For Lift Instead Of Uber...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I bet y'all thought it would be because of politics, lol. But it's not.

I used to drive for Uber. Enjoyed driving the drunks around at night and it's the only gig I can do in the summer when my daughter isn't in school (single mom status recently).

So... a couple of months ago, my car got totaled. It was parked on the street at my ex's house and a car slammed into it, pushing it about 20 feet. My ex's roomie is a very thoughtful man and rushed out to make sure the driver was okay. A couple gets out of the car, ignores the roomies, then proceeds to open their trunk. He asks again and they take two pizzas out then flee on foot, the woman going straight to the neighbor asking for a hiding place but being turned down by the very confused neighbor. Then they both fled on foot.

Turns out they stole that car. So to summarize, a stolen car totaled my parked car in a hit-n-run by a couple of pizza addicts. This put me immediately out of work because I can't legally drive ride share in the regular rental insurance provides and the settlement wasn't enough to cover lost wages and also another car.

Fast forward and now I'm driving a Lyft rental, trying to catch up.

It's weird how two random strangers can # up your life so easily.

Just thought I should share since I just got home from driving drunks home.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

So... a couple of months ago, my car got totaled. It was parked on the street at my ex's house and a car slammed into it.

Your timeline of events makes little sense. A few months ago and the car is being repaired still? How was it not totaled out? 20 Feet is quite the collision, the occupants were arrested/charged I presume? This would leave them liable for additional damages?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Insurance is fun like that.
Insurance companies will delay paying out as long as they can- they make interest in that money, and if they delay long enough the averages pay out in people giving up on claims.

Never gamble, the house always wins.

Insurance is the bet that on average you'll give them less money than they'll give you.

The math works out for car insurance and health insurance alike....

Insurance is a scam- clear as day.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

So... a couple of months ago, my car got totaled. It was parked on the street at my ex's house and a car slammed into it.

Your timeline of events makes little sense. A few months ago and the car is being repaired still? How was it not totaled out? 20 Feet is quite the collision, the occupants were arrested/charged I presume? This would leave them liable for additional damages?

When it's declared "totaled", they don't repair it. And yes, the payout was super delayed.

The cops aren't obligated to tell us if they got caught but I'm guessing not since my own insurance paid or maybe they didn't have any which is also likely.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

You need a better insurance company.

My daughter's car was totaled two months ago and she had a check within a week.

We have Grange by the way.

Anyway, long story short she got a great new car in about a week and Grange even paid the sales tax on the new vehicle so she wouldn't be stuck with paying it herself. I have never had a problem with Grange.

I am not sure why you had an issue.

edit on 2017/7/24 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

You need a better insurance company.

My daughter's car was totaled two months ago and she had a check within a week.

We have Grange by the way.

Anyway, long story short she got a great new car in about a week and Grange even paid the sales tax on the new vehicle so she wouldn't be stuck with paying it herself.

I am not sure why you had an issue.

Got any more salt to twist into that wound? Heh.

I'm happy for your daughter, that's awesome. Was it a hit-n-run?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

No, she just broke up with her boyfriend and hit the car in front of her because she was upset. The car in front didn't have a scratch and she totaled her car.

I told her she may as well get rid of the old car along with the boyfriend.

edit on 2017/7/24 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

No, she just broke up with her boyfriend and hit the car in front of her because she was upset. The car in front didn't have a scratch and she totaled her car.

I told her she may as well get rid of the old car along with the boyfriend.

Jeeesus...

Well, I'd say lesson learned but it sounds like she did alright, lol

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I'm sorry to hear about your recent woes - this is a fascinating subject to me because I just got licensed to sell insurance and am building a curriculum to teach others to become licensed. I even asked my Uber driver this weekend what his deal was with auto insurance since he drives for Uber.

I've heard F.A. Farmers or whatever it is they "provide for you" as an Uber driver is pretty crappy coverage.

It sounds as though your "uninsured motorist coverage" was insufficient to cover the damages?

I also support Lyft over Uber but in my area Lyft is not very accessible, Uber has way more service providers (I'm in VT)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'm sorry to hear about your recent woes - this is a fascinating subject to me because I just got licensed to sell insurance and am building a curriculum to teach others to become licensed. I even asked my Uber driver this weekend what his deal was with auto insurance since he drives for Uber.

I've heard F.A. Farmers or whatever it is they "provide for you" as an Uber driver is pretty crappy coverage.

It sounds as though your "uninsured motorist coverage" was insufficient to cover the damages?

I also support Lyft over Uber but in my area Lyft is not very accessible, Uber has way more service providers (I'm in VT)

The ride share insurance provided by the companies are only for when you are working and it supersedes your own since you're not supposed to technically drive without special insurance. This is why when a ride share driver gets in a collision when they don't have a passenger in the car, they rip off their window stickers and don't mention what they were doing when questioned.

In this case, none of that mattered. I was fully insured by my own insurance.

Congrats on your license, by the way! Working for yourself has some perks.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Insurance is fun like that.
Insurance companies will delay paying out as long as they can- they make interest in that money, and if they delay long enough the averages pay out in people giving up on claims.

Never gamble, the house always wins.

Insurance is the bet that on average you'll give them less money than they'll give you.

The math works out for car insurance and health insurance alike....

Insurance is a scam- clear as day.

Insurance companies are ALL arms of the Global Elites fiscal engine....Insurance companies launder fiat dollars into tangible impacts.....screwing us all in the process..its the biggest crime in history.
edit on 24-7-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

We have no fault in Michigan. Each goes to their own insurance same day or next. This member would've gotten a claim same day-and vehicle towed right to dealer or repair shop or home.. .or junk yard

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

We have no fault in Michigan. Each goes to their own insurance same day or next. This member would've gotten a claim same day-and vehicle towed right to dealer or repair shop or home.. .or junk yard

All that, plus a nice rate increase that covers the cost of all that and then some.
It's a scam.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Grange has a horrible reputation. Glad your daughter came out on top-most don't. Just a warning.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Metallicus

Grange has a horrible reputation. Glad your daughter came out on top-most don't. Just a warning.

I have needed them twice in the past two years and both times they were fast, fair and had great customer service. Maybe they have been upping their game lately, but I have no complaints.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
We got Hit, sitting at a red light.
He was uninsured, and asked if we were all right.

You could run a red light. Give up on your whole life.....

The Dr. gave us pills, and now our backs are feeling all right
edit on 24-7-2017 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I've not had that experience in a few accidents...fast claims by my company...deductibles waved..even entirely replaced one with a brand new car.

Don't know about the others claims... And my full coverage family monthly rate is within the norm...

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It could be worse. At least you weren't in the car when it happened.

new topics

top topics

join