It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carmageddon is coming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
will stick with my non computerised , petrol burning , manual transmission , convertible , sportscar .

You can have the wimpy , computerised , electric piece of # .

That’s why Daimler-Mercedes, the world’s oldest car company, is planning to spend $15 billion on building ten new models of electric vehicle by 2022. It’s why legendary car designer Henry Fisker just unveiled a new car that has a top speed of 250km/h, a range of 640km and charges from totally flat to full in 36 minutes.

You call that wimpy ?

Takes me less time to refill petrol tank , not to mention the thrill of the wind in ones hair driving with top down on nice day and the purr of a well tuned v12 engine . Plus manual transmission is good anti-theft device these days since most people cant drive manual anymore .

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

At the end of the day you cannot stop progress, this tech will revolutionise everything, at this point things are made because there is a profit to be made from it, cars in particular are a huge industry because of breakdowns.

Put into perspective a vehicle that costs far less to make and runs for far longer, all the smart businesses are moving towards this and have no choice to remain viable as technology goes forward.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

will stick with my non computerised , petrol burning , manual transmission , convertible , sportscar .

You can have the wimpy , computerised , electric piece of # .

That’s why Daimler-Mercedes, the world’s oldest car company, is planning to spend $15 billion on building ten new models of electric vehicle by 2022. It’s why legendary car designer Henry Fisker just unveiled a new car that has a top speed of 250km/h, a range of 640km and charges from totally flat to full in 36 minutes.

You call that wimpy ?

Takes me less time to refill petrol tank , not to mention the thrill of the wind in ones hair driving with top down on nice day and the purr of a well tuned v12 engine . Plus manual transmission is good anti-theft device these days since most people cant drive manual anymore .

Do you really think it will take a long time to quadruple to power output and reduce the charge time to 1 minute ?

ETA...

V12 really, the v8 is where it is at always has been always will be (until there is an electric v8

edit on 24-7-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
The Swiss watch industry (which charged very high prices based on pinpoint accuracy in hand-crafted technology) certainly felt devastated at the time.I remember reading articles about it. They had to invent the Swatch in order to win back sales.

The mobile phone would presumably affect wrist-watches in general. I still don't see why, frankly. If someone is running to catch a train and wants to check his progress, how can pulling out a phone and pressing buttons possibly be more convenient than simply glancing down at the wrist?

Still using a rolex submariner that bought back in 1972 . Cant beat the quality of a good swiss watch .

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If I like my Subaru can I keep my Subaru?

Yeah, not going to get a computer car.

You can do whatever you like, if you are thinking of spending good money on a new car you might want to weigh up your options
edit on 24-7-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Progress bitches. Unfortunately the sheer size of the US alone will put off mass adoption of rising tech such as this to a slower pace than many European contries for example. You know, unless the government decides to actually spend some money on something useful like infrastructure upgrades as opposed to blowing up brown people.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

What does the size of the US have to do with anything?

It's called scale.

You cannot scale today's technology at all to meet what Gas/Diesel does over night. It needs to be able to be that quick to be able to become the defacto tech we use.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The elephant in the room is our electric grid is aging and overburdened already. Gas or electric powered that energy has to come from somewhere. It only takes one storm to knock things out for a couple of days. It's one thing to not have lights and either heat or AC, but you're now tying in your personal transportation to that.

Recipe for disaster.

Additionally electric cars ranges are limited and we don't have the infrastructure yet.
Go outside of urban centers and you're going to just be stranded.

Love it or hate it this is for the present time going to severely limit our mobility, and by extension our freedom of movement. We don't accept that under other circumstances, so why would we with being forced to purchase electric vehicles?

Electric power is just as dirty as petrol based in it's generation. Something everyone is ignoring. While you pay to fill up that tank at a station, home electric bills are going to skyrocket and in places electric/hydro is already crippling families. Toss in powering the family vehicle?

In urban area's this solution is much more workable, but in the US with the distances necessary for travel to work, shopping and transport of goods this will become a very expensive disaster. That's before the lose of taxes comes into play. The taxes to the State and Feds make up a considerable sum and will have to be made up another way.

I can see this easily affecting lower income folks disproportionately as landlords who include utilities aren't going to just absorb the cost of charging a car. Already employment problems are there for people who can't get to jobs without public transportation. Toss in the higher cost of an electric vehicle and you create a default-elite. A bigger obstacle to people trying to get ahead.

And what about industrial vehicles?
Farm combines? Back-hoes? Semi's for transport? No ones talking about the practical applications and the problems of logistics and overwhelming cost to all levels of society with this kind of switch over. It won't come cheap.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
"Carmageddon"
Hope not, because this was the title of a computer game based on the film 'Death Race 2000'.

Still if the cars are on auto with computer AI then pedestrians might very well become targets for Rogue AI, as depicted in both film and video game.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

That is a hell of a parallel you just made but in this reality it seems anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   
have they fixed the insane toxicity of the batteries used in the electric car?

Have not real looked at it because I live in the sticks in the middle of the country, their is zero infrastructure to support it, and until they get to making electric trucks, that can carry a large load, or pull a large load,for farms and ranches, there will not be any infrastructure to support it.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Unless you get a VW beetle type car then I cannot see how the tech can be made viable to the average person,

Supply and demand I guess, limit the supply and increase the demand, kinda works both ways eh ?

It will be no different to the way they are marketing small engine vehicles and hybrids today, they are cheaper to run and go further, all they have to do is add the "performance" factor in.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

All of the issues that plague us now will be solved, its the future there is no getting away from it.

We either die as a fossil fuel burning species or we develop the tech to get past it , if there is a middle ground please show me ?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Y'know, I despise change. Not that I need to worry about this much... no self driving or electric car could survive an Alaskans winter. So I'll continue to enjoy my gas pig SUV and her 4 wheel drive goodness.

Reminds me of a song I heard once

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Without a major drop in price and increase in torque, coupled with a massive increase in infrastructure (we in the states cannot even get our govt to fix our electrical infrastructure) its 20 years minimum for it to be viable across the states.

Oh and I forgot all of the farm equipment that are diesel, I have no doubt it will come, but not soon for large stretches of the world.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Look around ATS, I've posted that as my theme song a couple times over the years. It's not an inaccurate description of me, but I get along fine with that character advantage.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Without a major drop in price and increase in torque, coupled with a massive increase in infrastructure (we in the states cannot even get our govt to fix our electrical infrastructure) its 20 years minimum for it to be viable across the states.

Oh and I forgot all of the farm equipment that are diesel, I have no doubt it will come, but not soon for large stretches of the world.

Then you guys will be fine without the likes of all the leading car manufactures then....good luck with that

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well CAP, the dinosaurs may have a had a choice, or then again perhaps they didn't .

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hopefully, some one, some where, is working on a Thorium powered vehicle, that's the only way I can see the range of the vehicle being any good.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
No. Just no.

Maybe in the cities, but out here in the country it will not work. Electric cars do not have the range we need to cover the distances I need. They cannot tow a trailer with cattle in it.

Autonomous vehicles can't cope with kangaroos on the road.

This is just new age crap talk to stir up interest in next gen cars.

You city slickers are welcome to your communal self driving electric crap boxes. But I won't be lining up to buy one any time soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join