It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Did Chemical and Drug Industries Create Mad Cow?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Good link. Thanks.

Re: reducing the # of individual animals. ...My research says that different strains fight with one another in the body - ie., compete for the same prey - and the body comes out ahead. So my thinking is, a varied diet with more strains is better...

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand. (Is it better to reduce the number of different animals, or increase?)

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Re: reducing the # of individual animals. ...My research says that different strains fight with one another in the body - ie., compete for the same prey - and the body comes out ahead. So my thinking is, a varied diet with more strains is better...

That may be true if you believe that basically ALL food animals are infected. On the other hand, if it's still relatively rare, then consuming a fewer number of individual animals seems to make sense.

Or perhaps I'm missing something...

(OK, I admit I haven't had time to read all the links...)

I get all my beef now from a local farm, drive by it every day. The cattle are bred, born, live, die and are processed right there on site. They process one animal at a time, so you always know which animal your steak - and, more importantly your ground beef - comes from. Same with pigs & lambs.

As I'm not (and will probably never be) ready to go veggie, this seems like the plan that best fits the facts as I know them.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye

That may be true if you believe that basically ALL food animals are infected.

The evidence shows that most species have some strain of prion disease, likely several different ones - prions mutate to jump from one species to another and generally, each species has different strains.

The goat with Mad Cow was an unusual case - the goat had the BSE strain of Mad Cow - meaning the exact strain jumped the species barrier without mutating.

On the other hand, if it's still relatively rare, then consuming a fewer number of individual animals seems to make sense.

Or perhaps I'm missing something...

The BSE prion strain per se might be rare - but probably not. ...More important - and uncounted - are all the other strains floating around.

(OK, I admit I haven't had time to read all the links...)

Yep. You gotta. Shows how widespread prion diseases are - why - where they come from - how they're created, spread and transmitted....

The cattle are bred, born, live, die and are processed right there on site. They process one animal at a time, so you always know which animal your steak - and, more importantly your ground beef - comes from. Same with pigs & lambs.

As I'm not (and will probably never be) ready to go veggie, this seems like the plan that best fits the facts as I know them.

As long as you mix it up (beef, pigs, lamb) - sounds like a plan (re: different strains in each species.

...I won't go veggie either - don't think there's any point. Seems clear soil and water are contaminated, and these little suckers really get around - not just jumping species barriers, but kingdom barriers too....

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reminds me the Simpsons episode when Mr Burns goes to the doctor.... the doc says... "all your diseases are fighting each other, instead of you" you are lucky to be alive... (paraphrase)

the mention of metal imbalances causing prion disease is interesting.
perhaps many of the deaths and damage from lead poisoning are actually from the prion misfolds causing an illness. Some people seem very affected by the smallest trace, while others can eat lead without showing ill effects...

Think about all the kids in the 40's and 50's eating lead paint BECUASE IT TASTED GOOD! and now, a kid gets ahold of a lead flake, and has brain damage for life... WTF? sounds a little like something else going on....

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
reminds me the Simpsons episode when Mr Burns goes to the doctor.... the doc says... "all your diseases are fighting each other, instead of you" you are lucky to be alive... (paraphrase)

They do medical research to write those scripts, you know.

the mention of metal imbalances causing prion disease is interesting.
perhaps many of the deaths and damage from lead poisoning are actually from the prion misfolds causing an illness.

That is exactly the chemical-biological action that occurs - and explains how and why exposures to contamination cause "disease."

Some people seem very affected by the smallest trace, while others can eat lead without showing ill effects...

Prion Myth #687: Some people are genetically immune to prion diseases.

Truth: Most people are genetically immune to some strains of prion diseases - but there are hundreds, maybe thousands of strains - and no one is immune to all of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join