It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming August 21st Solar Eclipse (USA)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the correlation to the eclipse cutting the USA in half and that we as citizens of said country couldn't be more divided between the opposites...

My hopes will be up but I'm pretty sure ill be disappointed like I was 12 21 12

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm right in the path. I intend to sit on the deck and experience it. I read an article in Time magazine that stated that the ground in the path of the eclipse will raise up 1.5 inches due to a heavier gravitation pull.

It should be a trip, I'm really looking forward to it!

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

the cornish " preparations " were - an utterly pathetic shambles

i went too amien [ NE france ] - they had a city run party in their largest park

an awesome event - and actually cheeper than going to cornwal - go figure

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie
Does anyone else see the correlation to the eclipse cutting the USA in half and that we as citizens of said country couldn't be more divided between the opposites...

My hopes will be up but I'm pretty sure ill be disappointed like I was 12 21 12

There are some who think it has significance with the one coming 7 years later that will form a giant bisecting cross over the country. Check YouTube for that one.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
just so you all know, we Oregonians have decided not to share the eclipse and will be stopping it at the border.

They expect so many people to try to get into the direct path that there's a few concerns on traffic jams and infrastructure of the towns directly in the path.

think i'm going to stay home.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I got to experience a full solar eclipse when I was 11 or 12, we all stood outside in our front yard watching the whole thing.

What amazed me the most about it was the fact that every single dog, cat, bird, frog, cricket, etc etc went dead silent throughout the entire eclipse. I didn't notice until about half way through when I realized that everything was so quiet.

I turned to my mom and said, "Do you notice that ?"

She asked, "Notice what ?"

I said, "The silence, no birds or frogs or crickets, and all the dogs have stopped barking too."

We lived next to a lake so birds, frogs, and crickets were a constant thing all around the area.

She looked around and said, "Holy crap, you're right. It's freaky quiet !"

It was the eeriest feeling ever.... total dead silence all around us, literally.

What made it so freaky was that the birds and crickets were going to town right before the eclipse started (hot humid afternoon), and then... nothing.

Like something right out of a Stephen King novel.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Very cool. I was young my first total eclipse and was so stunned by how surreal it was that the middle of the day turned to night I didn't even notice. I'm planning to travel to the solar maximum location and will make note of the silence of the animals.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
I'm right in the path. I intend to sit on the deck and experience it. I read an article in Time magazine that stated that the ground in the path of the eclipse will raise up 1.5 inches due to a heavier gravitation pull.

It should be a trip, I'm really looking forward to it!

Ooo that sounds cool. Also animals and birds react.
I suppose that's only in the path of totality? I'm gonna get a 90% I'm assuming that I'll see the sun as a crescent. Or will I just see a ring? Last time I saw one around 1989 I think, it was only a little portion covered by the moon 🌙

I'll be on my deck as well. Usually am in the morning with my coffee. It faces east and will be in full view. I just hope it's not a cloudy rainy day when it's obscured and goes dim anyways, I really would like to experience full sun turning dark in a strange way lol

edit on 23-7-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'm just going outside.

But it'll probably be cloudy.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
There's more to see than just the eclipse itself
Apparently as the sky darkens the brightest stars will be seen. In totality the sun will look like a black hole
Baileys beads will be seen around the sun (dangerous to look at) these are portions of the Sun’s bright photosphere and can damage your eyes
Check out this Page
And Safe viewing tips

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
You'll be able to view partial eclipse outside of the direct viewing areas.
How the partial eclipse looks in one location.
Search your area

There's not just an eclipse show for the US this month, but on Aug 7th:

August 7, 2017 — Partial Lunar Eclipse Much of Europe, Much of Asia, Australia, Africa, East in South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Antarctica Eclipse path & animation
Source

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
Ok glad I looked at that.
Thanks
It begins 9:10 am and max is 10:21, ending 11:38am for me.

edit on 24-7-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Southern IL is celebrating with a music festival called Moonstock. Ozzy Osbourne is headlining.

He is going to sing "Bark at the Moon" right when the eclipse starts, lol

My brother and I are going to carbondale, Illinois to see the eclipse. Just got my solar glasses from fedex the other day, so we are hoping there won't be clouds or a pop up storm that day! And, no...I don't plan to go see ozzy as we have a much more private spot found to view and photograph.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Rumor has it that we are supposedly getting anywhere between 200k-500k extra visitors coming into the Salem,OR area for the event. The city has also been saying to stock up on food and water about a week prior to the event, and to try and stay home for the couple days before, during and after the eclipse. They're warning that traffic could potentially be so bad that emergency services may experience difficulties trying to get to people. There are also some farmers in my area that are opening up access to their fields for eclipse viewers. A hot muffler or discarded cigarette butt in a dry field full of people with possible traffic congestion and a slower emergency service response time sounds like a recipe for disaster.
edit on 24-7-2017 by RainyState because: No reason

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ishum

I hear in Baker City, OR (pop.10,000) is expecting an influx of 50,000 people for the eclipse! It will be interesting to see how the poor little town handles the human bomb, I'd say at the least there will be fuel shortages. I'll be in a remote location in eastern Oregon almost dead center in the path. If I get decent pics I'll share, if I make it out alive

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: RainyState
Oh wow. I read all the hotels in the total eclipse zone are sold out. People who made reservations a year ago all along the eclipse path are getting cancelled or pay $1000 a night now.

I'm in the 90% viewing zone.

Should be interesting

edit on 24-7-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

My animals won't be near the eclipse but that does sound kind of freaky. When I go I will listen for that. Thanks. My brother has his telescope so hopefully will get some good pictures while were there.

edit on 24-7-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

I urge and implore you, if you can make it to the 100%, please do. It is the difference between night and day. In any case, have fun!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
After reading the thread I wondered when the next time the UK will see a full total eclipse. I hope those in the UK like me wishing it to be soon according to this article from the Telegraph it won't be until September 2090. I'll be long gone
www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 24-7-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added link

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Hopkinsville, KY. I live in Princeton now, which is about 40 min north of Hoptown. I do still work in Hoptown, and from what i'm hearing, they are expecting 500,000 plus people in a town with a population of 30ish thousand. Everything is booked in the area, and I know a few people in Princeton that have rented their house for $4,000 for that weekend.
I'm still deciding if I want to take off work or not. Something tells me there is going to be some gridlock issues.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join