It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruling Leads to Offensive Trademark Requests, pretty bad ones at that.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So I am all about freedom of speech, but I can not get over the loyalty people have to such hate mongering. These trademarks include the N word and Nazi swastika.

Since the decision, seven trademark applications for veNEW YORK (Reuters) - A small group of companies and individuals are looking to register racially charged words and symbols for their products, including the N-word and a swastika, based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision on trademarks last month.

I mean who would support such companies, who spread hate. Is there really that big of a demand for such, crap? I personally would boycott any such company. The article does state that 'if you suppress it you give it power", which I get, but WOW. They even go after the Chinese...

www.yahoo.com...

edit on 23-7-2017 by kurthall because: add

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No problem at all with this.
If some people want to brand themselves to appeal to a certain audience they should be allowed to.
They can be ignored by anyone who finds them offensive, including advertisers or owners of advertising platforms.
The consequences for these people should be the market... if they manage to make a living from their views, that is fine too.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I said that I am all about freedom of speech, What I want to know if they are branding themselves with hate, is it going to sell? Is there really a demand for this type of product. I never said they did not have the right to do so. I just wonder how many people would spend money to support such IMO, garbage?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

And rather than the Supreme Court telling them no we as a society need to. It's our job, not the SC's.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
So I am all about freedom of speech, but I can not get over the loyalty people have to such hate mongering. These trademarks include the N word and Nazi swastika.

There should be no restriction on what you say.

We "create" the meanings of words by "reacting" to them in particular ways.

Hitler took a symbol that meant "good luck" and turned it into a symbol of "hate."

So far, Hitler has won. Because we still see the swastika as having the meaning that Hitler decided it should have, which was only recently given to the symbol 70 years ago. For thousands of years before Hitler was born, that same symbol meant "good" things.

So, why have we accepted Hitler's spin? Why do we grant to Hitler, the power to shape our thoughts, and determine the meanings of these things for us?

The way to deal with Hitler, is to "rub him out" completely. Take back all the things Hitler transformed to the dark side, and bring those things back into the light.

Change the meanings back to what it used to mean, and erase Hitler's impact on the world.

Make it, so it is as if he never existed.

Celebrate the swastika as the good luck charm it always used to be, and nobody will be able to use it for dark thoughts.

By banning that symbol, we give it power over us, and make it more likely that symbols like this will be adopted by those who think like Hitler.

There should be parades down the street evey year, where all Jews, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, all wear the Swastika and march celebrating, laughing, smiling, telling fun tales, and reminding everyone of the meaning of the symbol that it held for thousands of years, with nobody mentioning Hitler at all.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

I am not saying we shouldn't let them do it, why do you guys keep saying that. I believe for the 3rd time in freedom of speech.

Now on another note, I never knew until you said it, that the swastika was at one time a good symbol, I guess my history books never explained how the symbol came to be. I have always just thought it was a Nazi symbol. Thank you for the info!

edit on 23-7-2017 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The fact that the supreme Court had to rule shows that there is an element that does not want free speech.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Offense can only be taken, not given.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Considering that the swastika is not solely to be claimed by the Nazi party, I couldn't imagine anything more ridiculous or sad.

Look around. The swastika did NOT originate with the Nazis.

Also, it is an abstract design. So, what.... someone young draws a swastika that may not know what has been attributed to it's meaning....and then the company owning the copy right can sue?

This is simply stupid.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

I just think it's ironic how the Nazi symbol is banned practically everywhere, but the Communist Soviet, Maoist, & Khmer Rouge flags aren't.

Those governments and ideologies are responsible for over 160 million deaths in the 20th century.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Confederate flag versus the Communist one.

hahahahahaha

SMDH

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Let them. If their businesses succeed then good for them. If they fail then that's good.
The moment we restrict free speech is the moment we become fascists which is very bad.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

I said that I am all about freedom of speech, What I want to know if they are branding themselves with hate, is it going to sell? Is there really a demand for this type of product. I never said they did not have the right to do so. I just wonder how many people would spend money to support such IMO, garbage?

Is it going to sell? Who knows, but I feel if people want to be racist or sexist or what ever else, they should be free to do so and be open about it - UNTIL their actions start effecting other people who don't want to be part of their culture. So, in my view, some dude saying racist stuff should be fine, no matter how abhorrent to others, but if that person starts employing people based on race, for example, then there is a problem.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

but if that person starts employing people based on race, for example, then there is a problem.

Hey that's a great point. Food for thought.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
People need to get over the swastika. It's an ancient symbol and that is the only way sensible people should take it now.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Konduit

Confederate flag versus the Communist one.

hahahahahaha

SMDH

Yes it's funny how variables which once were equal to each other can easily be changed, just because.

In all honesty, it amazes me that humans get offended so easily, it's a perfect place to socially hack the world with... Kinda like a few other social hackers have done, we have a lot of them believe it or not.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

but if that person starts employing people based on race, for example, then there is a problem.

Hey that's a great point. Food for thought.

We had an interesting case here in the UK a few years back. A football manager was caught on hot mic using the N word whilst commentating on a game. At the time he was one of the biggest names in football and a somewhat larger than life character, getting a bit older.

He was also one of the first managers in the game to give black football players a real chance.

His career in football and TV more or less ended that day he was caught on the hot mic.

Was he racist? Maybe, in an way driven more by ignorance, being from a different time, as opposed to any real intent to discriminate based on race.

To me the words are far less important than the actions, because to an extent we all see the world through the lens in which we grew up in. The intent of language can be woefully misunderstood. I think we, as in society, have created a real problem by driving racism underground through finger pointing. The fingers are often pointed in the wrong place now because these days you really can't work out who is racist and who is not, so we look for signs and, I would suggest, regularly misread those signs. Meanwhile, real racists, go about their business under cover.

This is one of the reasons I think people should be allowed to say what they want and express themselves how they want, on the understanding that whilst speech is free, you may face consequences for such speech, but never legal consequences. Here in the UK, you are now arrested if you use racist language. That is a real problem that will probably make things worse in the long run.

As for people openly branding themselves as racist - to me that just adds clarity. You know where you stand with them. It also makes handling discrimination that affects other people easier. It's probably a good sign that people feel they can be open about it.
edit on 23/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

No good ever comes from erasing history. If the negative parts of history are white washed, how will we ever learn from them?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
a reply to: FHomerK

I just think it's ironic how the Nazi symbol is banned practically everywhere, but the Communist Soviet, Maoist, & Khmer Rouge flags aren't.

Those governments and ideologies are responsible for over 160 million deaths in the 20th century.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Serious question though: If JayZ copyrighted the n***** word - would it be okay?

The Harry Potter quote "fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself" rings in my head everytime I hear or see someone referring to it as the "n-word". Yes it is an offensive word and people who use it in a derogatory way should be chastised. The N-word was really the first trigger word as if hearing it would turn people into sobbing or violent wrecks. And I really don't get how a word can be used by one group of people but taboo in another. Either ban it completely or everyone gets to use it. It looses it's Black Power meaning when rappers get to say it in every other song but get all antsy because someone of a different skin color else said it.

I grew up with "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" seems these days the motto is "beat down and break the bones of a white person who is seen to cause offence"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join