It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romans only had 1 percent tax. This is what I agree with.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

If you were to get rid of 95% of the military budget and the 'finance' costs of money you could easily get the effective rate of taxation down to a reasonable amount for everyone - NOT JUST THE WEALTHY who, BTW, get weathly off of military spending and finiance costs - so they effectively 'double dip'.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So no more NASA?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Egypt might have been too early to have tax. Han dynasty had a pretty low tax of about 1 or 2 percent typically.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

And how about this one. After cutting the military budget and 'publicly' financing government undertakings (see public banking) then tax 'net worth' rather then income. It would dis-incentivize the accumulation of gross wealth.
edit on 23-7-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

NASA is very bureaucratic. Private enterprises can do a much more efficient job.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I'm hoping to illustrate to you how incomparable the two are. You would be happy with the average modern citizen living like their counterparts in Ancient Rome?

I'd hope not.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The Romans also raided their neighbors and robbed them to keep their treasury full.

Oh, and it was a slaved based economy. Without the constant influx of conquered people the economy would have collapsed.

Don't get me wrong, I would like a 1% tax, it's just not an applicable comparison; and really, it's not workable.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Don't get me wrong, I would like a 1% tax, it's just not an applicable comparison; and really, it's not workable.

Oh, it would work perfectly. For the one per cent, who would be living in heavily-guarded utopian cities, while the rest of the population lived in shanties just outside the city walls so that they could rummage through the garbage piles in order to survive.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Romans had slaves. Americans have machines. Machines do far more than slaves ever did. A 1% flat tax is possible if the federal government leaves social services to the states.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

They dont steal machines by and large though

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

YES! A simple tax of 1-3% on those few lucky enough to own wealth or property supported by robbing other nations blind and keeping vast quantities of slaves to do all the work and much of the dying.

Tbf it's only changed a little, but still, think it through will ya?

That’s why I support a consumption tax over a flat tax...then EVERYONE gets to help those in need and the wealthy can’t hide behind borderline fraudulent deductions.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye

Each state can have its own EPA and its own environmental laws. It should not be done by the federal government.

So what happens is the fed gov reduces it's foot print, states increase theirs, states then would dictate just about everything within their state borders. There would be an increase in state taxes as each state decides what is best for that state, such as ACA or not etc. A person can then have 50 choices in how they want to live their lives, this is a horrible idea because it looks too much like a republic...

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Looks like Egypt was up around 20% at times. www.reshafim.org.il...

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
A flat tax is fine witb me, but youre loiking at cliser to 18% than 1%.

After business deductions, I pay 5%-9% to the Govt. 18% is too high...and so is Trump's 15% proposal...assuming that all deductions are eliminated.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

That’s why I support a consumption tax over a flat tax...then EVERYONE gets to help those in need and the wealthy can’t hide behind borderline fraudulent deductions.

The first thing we need to do is break away from the "rich are evil" agenda. If the tax code offers write-offs then so be it. I'm sure you didn't say hey I'm not going to deduct my house interest, or I'm going to send back child tax credit etc...lol

Simple code is best, all should pay too whether it is 1%, 2% 5% etc all should pay something.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Russia has 13% flat tax, but Russia does not have social problems nor do they have a racial geographical distribution. In the US most African Americans live in big cities. In Russia there are only whites. It would be more difficult for a low tax to work in the US, since welfare is a political problem in the US, unless in Russia where it is not.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Flat tax?! Forget about it. The upper crust will have to pay higher tax with a flat tax.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

After business deductions, I pay 5%-9% to the Govt. 18% is too high...and so is Trump's 15% proposal...assuming that all deductions are eliminated.

I think I read that top max can be as low as 8% in a flat tax scenario.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: Blueracer

NASA is very bureaucratic. Private enterprises can do a much more efficient job.

According to what measurement??? Define 'efficiency'?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
When Julius Gius Cesar had that punch up with the Egyptians, money lending interest rates in Rome was 12 %, as soon as the money lenders learnt of the amount of cash in the Egyptian treasury, the interest rate dropped to 4%, which leads me to think income tax may have been higher than 1%, all those roads and bath houses, public buildings, aqueducts, and temples had to be paid for, plus the Roman military navy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join