It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is President Bush Trying to create a "Cult Of Personality"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Defintion:
Cult of Personality-Cult of personality or personality cult is a derogatory term for what is perceived to be excessive adulation of a single living leader. The term was coined by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev soon after the death of Joseph Stalin, but the phenomenon as such is much older.
( en.wikipedia.org... )

Hypothesis:
Whether involuntarily or deliberate, President Bush is becoming a "cult of personality" amoung some congressional Republican's and Christian leaders and believers.

P.S.-Personality cults usually characterise totalitarian states or countries and place the leaders in an almost divine level, thereby having little discension among opposing leaders in the country.

Please post your ideas/thoughts/feelings/etcetera in response to this hypothesis.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by The Division Bell]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
No. It may appear so to many, because they hate Bush so much, though. When Bush screws up, the Right lets him know, like with the open borders and what he did to the space program. However, when there are people finding fault in everything he does, fron the war in Iraq to his demonic method of brushing his teeth, you're going to hear a lot of pro-Bush speak in response.

The same thing happened with Clinton when many on the right couldn't see anything good in him; he was defended extensivly by the left, but that didn't mean they worshipped him.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yes. Most definatedly. The use of the word "devine" clearly defines what this administration portrays. God-like status.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I feel as though he might've deliberately or involunterily by his use of terms such as "axis of evil", "evildoers", etcetera. He created a base with Christian followers which many have regarded him as close to divine, I heard one person say during the campaign where I live say, "It's the frist time I've felt God was in the White House though." Ofcourse, these thoughts are products of their own critical thinking skills, but these thoughts beliefs may have been influenced by his use of Biblical terms. Whether deliberate or not, who knows.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Yes. Most definatedly. The use of the word "devine" clearly defines what this administration portrays. God-like status.

No explanation or reasoning justifying your opinion?

Lemme ask ya to do something: Name one thing, just one thing Bush has done these past 4 years that was good.

EDIT: Who am I kidding, no one will do this because they can't. But the hatrid isn't blind. Oh no, of course not

[edit on 2-7-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

No explanation or reasoning justifying your opinion?

Lemme ask ya to do something: Name one thing, just one thing Bush has done these past 4 years that was good.

He is referring to their actions, they think they (the administration) are "Divine" in their actions.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
Defintion:
Cult of Personality-Cult of personality or personality cult is a derogatory term for what is perceived to be excessive adulation of a single living leader. The term was coined by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev soon after the death of Joseph Stalin, but the phenomenon as such is much older.

Hypothesis:
Whether involuntarily or deliberate, President Bush is becoming a "cult of personality" amoung some congressional Republican's and Christian leaders and believers.

P.S.-Personality cults usually characterise totalitarian states or countries and place the leaders in an almost divine level, thereby having little discension among opposing leaders in the country.

Please post your ideas/thoughts/feelings/etcetera in response to this hypothesis.

Nah you're totally wrong. Landing on aircraft carriers in high speed jets is normal for US presidents.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
LOL! But to be fair he supposidly was a pilot in the Reserves. Good point though.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Sorry, cant come up with anything i admire the man about.
Elaborate? no. What can i say that hasnt been said here before? YOU tell me what he has done in order to be held up on a pedestal. Anything?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Nothing to be held up on a pedestal. He'll be one of the most powerful presidents in the history of the US, but that's because of his Supreme Court appointments.

The only reason he appears to be on a pedistal is because many of us defend him from baseless claims like his administration thinks it's devine. Y'all never give us the chance to be too critical of him in the public debate forum (though we are with eachother) because you're condemning him for boosting troop morale. You missed my edit in that other post, too. There's no way you could see anything good in him because you hate him so blindly. You probably think it is evil of him to visit with the qounded soldiers and the families affected by 9-11.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
When are the defenders going to defend the political kingdom of Bush, thought to self.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm in the process, as far as is warrented.

hehe and apparently I can read thoughts

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hatred? Many people are opposed, that is not hatred, that is our right under the constitution as it stands today. We have a right to be against the government if we so chose. Ask yourself this. How many previous presidents were so "hated"? Not many at all. This is the first time a president has raised so much controversy, isnt it (You're probably too young to go back more than Clinton) at least in the past years. This should tell you something. People on the "left" dont have the plague, arent crazy or need meds to be stabilized because they're neurotic, psychotic or paranoid. Theyre exercising their rights as Americans to have an opinion other than YOURS. Isnt this what the troops are fighting for?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Constitution says you can hate him, too, so long as you don't try to kill him. Johnson was hated in a similar way, and we're all too young to remember that. Clinton was hated as well, along with Nixon.

You can be opposed to him, you can even hate him. I'm just calling a card a card. If you can't see good in someone visiting with people who lost loved ones in the worst attack the US has ever seen, you can't see good in anything he does. If you can't see good in anything he does, your loathing has blinded you and you are unable to be objective.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Okay, the idea of hatred of the prez can be discussed elsewhere. We are discussing his use of Biblical terms or other ways he tries to create a "cult of personality". Get back to the subject, kindly.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
EXCUSE ME

Why do you keep harping on the fact that i cant see any good on him visiting the relatives? Did i say that?

I dont recall.

Dont try to kill him? did i mention "kill"?

*gone*

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yes Bush has manage to give himself an image of divinity and devotion with God.

He did that to make his war and the killing of innocents,( I mean the casualties of war) more like a mandate from God.

Now how far will he get in his divinity, that is something to see.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Sorry, cant come up with anything i admire the man about.

That's where you said you didn't see good in him visiting the victim's families. As to the kill thing, I didn't mean that you wanted to kill him. You just used a less harsh term for hate, and I restated hate. Hate, however, can lead to that kind of violence, so I was trying to clarify which kind of hatrid I ment.

So no, you didn't mention kill, but yes, you did say you can't see any good in him, unless you're saying you don't admire good.

As to getting back on the subject, I think this is the subject. Because of this hatrid people defend him and you assume we forming a personality cult.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

EDIT: Who am I kidding, no one will do this because they can't. But the hatrid isn't blind. Oh no, of course not

[edit on 2-7-2005 by junglejake]

The Invasion of Afghanistan
His dropping of that silly gay marriage amendment.
He also likes Tom Wolfe, so he gets some bonus points from me.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Hatred? Many people are opposed, that is not hatred, that is our right under the constitution as it stands today. We have a right to be against the government if we so chose. Ask yourself this. How many previous presidents were so "hated"? Not many at all. This is the first time a president has raised so much controversy, isnt it (You're probably too young to go back more than Clinton) at least in the past years. This should tell you something. People on the "left" dont have the plague, arent crazy or need meds to be stabilized because they're neurotic, psychotic or paranoid. Theyre exercising their rights as Americans to have an opinion other than YOURS. Isnt this what the troops are fighting for?

You have voted dgtempe for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join