It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My absolute favorite series of fantasy novels...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I love to read. When I was a kid, I got into the fantasy genre. The series that introduced me to this type of book was The Belgariad, by David Eddings. I then read the companion series, The Mallorean, which was a continuation of the other series. I then went on to read the entire Spellsinger series, by Alan Dean Foster. I have been told by many people that these two authors are the epitome of cheese when it comes to fantasy authors, but the stories and characters are awesome. So, ATS, what is your favorite fantasy series, or book? What do you think of those I mentioned? I know Alan Dean Foster is recognized as a sci-fi writer more than fantasy, and some of those are entertaining reads, as well. To me, however, nothing he writes will easily top the Spellsinger series...

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I generally only read non-fiction, but I would have to say that the Witcher series is about as good as they come in regards to fantasy series. Witcher

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow, I have finally met my doppelgänger. I started out reading David Eddings and then devoured the dragonlance series.

out of 300+ sci-fi books I have read, I think my favorite all time series was Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Benderisfunny

I enjoy Foster, and Jon-Tom is a fun character. Never read any Eddings.
I would suggest Terry Pratchett's discworld series. It's the best fun fantasy I know.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Yes, foster has some fun characters, and i think mudge, the alcoholic foul mouthed otter who wears sherwood forest garb is my favorite!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I will have to read the dragonlance stuff, but wheel of time was amazingly good too!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have not read any Eddings, but will have to check it out. My favorite fiction series is The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King. It is getting made into a movie, which Hollywood will absolute screw up.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I have been consistently disappointed by stephen king novels turned into movies. I mean, the tommyknockers anyone? Just a terrible movie!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Of the spellsinger series I think Roseroar is my fav. She makes Mudge uncomfortable, and that takes a strong personality.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

No doubt. Either his books do not translate well on the screen or the directors were morons.....probably a bit of both
edit on pm77201717America/Chicago22p06pm by annoyedpharmacist because: Damn autocorrect

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

There are a whole bunch of great authors under the dragonlance series. If you give it a go, I would suggesting starting out with the Margaret Weis &Tracy Hickman combo.

Oh, and if you haven't already, check out anything by RA Salvatore.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

His novels don't always make good films, but his novellas. . .

Stand by me (The body)
Shawshank redemption (Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption)

Two great films.

Then there are those like The Shinning, and Carrie, or Christine, that do well in film. There was one recently starring Anthony Hopkins that I'm forgetting the name of, that was spectacular.

I'm looking forward to "From a Buick 8." I hope the Gunslinger isn't horrible.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The idea of a southern belle in the shape of a giant white tiger wearing armor is hilarious to me! The whole section of the book in the muddletup moor and on the ocean is some of the most entertaining reading i have ever done! Telepathic mushrooms who are chronically depressed and looking for dinner! Who comes up with that?!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not a big fan of fantasy books although I do like pratchet and Sterling. Dragons and elves just don't do it for me.
I'm more of a science fiction reader.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

That's for sure! How many directors have screwed up perfectly wonderful books?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I believe i will start with them...any title suggestions to start with?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I Totally forgot about From A Buick 8. That was some weird stuff.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benderisfunny

That's for sure! How many directors have screwed up perfectly wonderful books?

Most of them...lol
Few movies are better than the books.
Lord of the rings was imo.
Jaws,
Jurassic park,
The harry potter movies were well done.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Alan dean foster has some great science fiction, too. I like the book quozzle. It is pretty out there, for sure!!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I always liked the hobbit better than lotr...and the silmarillion was almost like reading a religious text.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join