It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Butthurt over dunkirk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: crazyewok

Your comment makes me wonder as I was wondering yesterday. All the money spent on this movie and really WHO was the target market? No one under the age of 45 could give a care about WWII; anyone under the age of 30 doesn't even know there was a WWII or what "Dunkirk" was.

So.........was anyone UNDER the age of 55 at the theatre?

In the UK the theatre was packed with all ages.

Seems only America is not bothered about history outside there own little bubble.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Americans are pretty secure about their having saved Europe twice in the past 100 years.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Americans are pretty secure about their having saved Europe twice in the past 100 years.

Uk saved it self than you and in WW1 was not even the target ot the Germans.

But thanks for helping us save france twice.

The USA needs educating that they where not the only ones doing the bulk of the fighting.
edit on 22-7-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: Aeshma

And to make more ridiculous the Germans had already pulled the trick of going through belgium once......

The british and French actually had more and better tanks than the Germans but because of pisspoor planning (that the brits have to take some blame for) they where dispersed.

If the British and French had concentrated there tanks and anti tanks where Germans where likely to have appeared the German invasion wpuld have been stopped.
The situation was never hopeless anyway. The french would of pulled back past paris regrouped at counter attacked as they still had the superior army.

Exactly Churchhill was flabbergasted by French proclamations that early on they were defeated, he couldn't believe they collapsed so quickly. Certainly the quick new blitzkrieg strikes played a part, but as you said poor planing, poor communication, lack of will of the French leaders was their death nell.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The only people butthurt is the OP, and repliers also crying about the movie. Real talk.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Seems only America is not bothered about history outside there own little bubble.

Yea, its the way they are educated. History is only taught in the context of social issues. Then after that, the programming is continued by the MSM that focuses soley on politics and social issues important to the Leftists. There's virtually no coverage of international news AND most remarkably, there's no real comprehensive coverage of the little "wars" US troops are engaged in.

Sad, really.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Would America Today like to go and look at any number of the pictures of the Dunkirk Evacuation, and point out some women or men of colour?

I'll wait...

A few years from now in America Today: "Stalingrad: Last Stand of the Motherland SLAMMED by critics for lack of persons of colour lead and heroic depiction of Russian hackers"
edit on -050001pm7kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Kind of hard to when you brought up listening to, see below. but yea its not that its not taught in history classes. We just rather talk about ourselves LOL, and its was so boring till the Americans showed up in WWI especially with your archdukes and lords and essentially England's royalty is fighting their cousins in Germany anyway. Trench warfare was invented and stodgy generals didn't mind throwing the masses into the sausage grinder,which had little tactical advantage and virtually zero chance for success. Besides you did see the theory the 60's and later England's punk rock invasion was partially brought on by all the little YANKEES and the rebellious seed planted in many of your ladies gardens.

Johnnie, get your gun
Get your gun, get your gun
Take it on the run
On the run, on the run
Hear them calling, you and me
Every son of liberty
Hurry right away
No delay, go today
Make your daddy glad
To have had such a lad
Tell your sweetheart not to pine
To be proud her boy's in line
Over there, over there
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming
The Yanks are coming
The drums rum-tumming
Everywhere
So prepare, say a prayer
Send the word, send the word to beware
We'll be over, we're coming over
And we won't come back till it's over
Over there
Johnnie, get your gun
Get your gun, get your gun
Johnnie show the Hun
Who's a son of a gun
Hoist the flag and let her fly
Yankee Doodle do or die
Pack your little kit
Show your grit, do your bit
Yankee to…

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
did nolan portray the germans realistically? just REGULAR poor fools forced to fight a fake war, like the americans, british, french, etc?
or was it 'hollywoodized' and they were demons who drank blood out of skin made lampshades?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

This reminds me of some people, probably the same people, who got upset that there are mostly white people on the TV show "Vikings".

Honestly, I cannot tell if that's a joke, or just some high level trolling or attention seeking.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

If they didnt spend all their time building a wall maybe they wpuldnt have been cornered.

I think I see what you did there.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If the British and French had concentrated there tanks and anti tanks where Germans where likely to have appeared the German invasion wpuld have been stopped.

My friend and I were discussing this last night.

If the French had massed their armor instead of spacing them along the line at intervals and met the Germans head on they may have prevailed due the superiority of their tanks and that the Germans were still using horses to supply an attack line hundreds of miles from the German border.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am so tired of this idea that we have to include at least some shots of everything in order to make a movie good.

No we don't. We are telling a story, and any shots that don't support that central narrative in some way need to be cut. It's nice to think there may have been women serving as nurses at some point, but we don't need to see them to make the movie good. The story isn't about them or what they did. If someone wants that story, they need to write that script and make that movie. There is probably a story there worth telling, but it isn't in this story about Dunkirk.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Vets like me love freedom fries

Remember that jazz?

Get over it, make another movie

Or wait for another new war!
edit on 22-7-2017 by iWontGiveUP because: Edit

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think Dunkirk is likely horribly unrepresentative of everything that was going on in the world.

I mean ... where were the camels? I'm sure they had an integral part to play.

I mean can you imagine the masterpiece Dunkirk would be if people were desperately trying to not drown and we had to cut to a shot of the camels' reaction to it all?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Not enough black Luftwaffe pilots either.
It was only thanks to desperate French resistance that they managed to keep the beachhead for 3 days.
Of the troops rescued a full 1/3 were French or Belgian.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Aeshma

And to make more ridiculous the Germans had already pulled the trick of going through belgium once......

The situation was never hopeless anyway. The french would of pulled back past paris regrouped at counter attacked as they still had the superior army.

They didn't think Germany could take Belgium due to huge fortress of Eben Emael which German paratroops took in a single day by smoking the defenders out. Had the Allies concentrated their armor German air superiority would have made quick work with waves of Ju-88's and Stuka dive bombers blasting them all clumped up.

France was doomed from the moment they decided to put their resources in to building the Maginot line.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Not enough black Luftwaffe pilots either.
It was only thanks to desperate French resistance that they managed to keep the beachhead for 3 days.
Of the troops rescued a full 1/3 were French or Belgian.

That and the infamous stop order.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You know all this makes me wonder.

What if the film Zulu, one of my favourite films of all time, was made today?

Imagine the outrage at that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join