It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That's the spirit.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: DBCowboy

Is eliminating a requirement for non technical fields really lowering the standard?

Isn't it always the case with specialization that some knowledge in unrelated fields becomes unnecessary?

If that's how you want to justify it, go right ahead.

As for specialization, I think Heinlein said it was for insects.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

No.

That sucks. We wouldnt have that luxury and we will be taking it from our kids and everyone else who follows if everyone thought like that.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Justify it?

If that is how you want to dismiss it then you are free to do that.
edit on 21-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Great, then don't.

That still has very little to do with dropping tech requirements for non tech fields.

Would that be taking from your kids?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

You seem to be triggered by your own creation from imagination.
Nobody is justifying lowering the standards. You are imagining things that aren't there.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Justify it?

If that is how you want to dismiss it then you are free to do that.

I'm not dismissing it.

I'm acknowledging the fact that you are providing reasons for lowering standards.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Would that be taking from your kids?

The fact that ALL KNOWLEDGE IS VALUABLE and should be part of their lives.

What you propose is a society of insects and classes purpose built for their "role"

Its not a "tech requirement". Its a component of math. Something people should all try to master to a mind opening degree.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Nobody is justifying lowering the standards. You are imagining things that aren't there.

If being upset over the idea of institutes of higher learning lowering standards is being "triggered" then I guess I'm triggered.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't know, but it seems to me that if we expected most kids to carry this standard and most who made it to that level did not so long ago, then this would be a step backward for higher education.

Now, if we wanted to talk about apprentices to the trades no having to learn about algebra but only what math is required for their trade, OK.

I don't understand why expecting college kids to know algebra would even be controversial. I was learning it in 8th grade.
edit on 21-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If being upset over the idea of institutes of higher learning lowering standards is being "triggered" then I guess I'm triggered.

If colleges and universities do that then of course I would be triggered.
Why would seeking solutions to the math literacy problem for AA degrees trigger you?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
An institute of higher learning is considering removing a subject that is difficult and is hard to pass.

But this isn't about lowering standards.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Kids failing algebra has nothing to do with math being too hard. It has everything to do with standards being lowered and kids just skating by doing what they need in order to pass the class.

The other thing about math is that it also helps develop problem solving skills.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

If colleges and universities do that then of course I would be triggered.
Why would seeking solutions to the math literacy problem for AA degrees trigger you?

Eliminating math does help with math literacy problems, doesn't it.

Oh wait, they don't want to eliminate math, they just want to find an easier math instead of algebra.

But this isn't about lowering standards?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: gpols

Kids failing algebra has nothing to do with math being too hard. It has everything to do with standards being lowered and kids just skating by doing what they need in order to pass the class.

The other thing about math is that it also helps develop problem solving skills.

Well said.

But higher education doesn't necessarily agree with you.

Ironic.

link   

I doubt that you can even point at what standard would be lowered.

It is so much fluff. I doubt that you really care all that much if the staff at your favorite [insert place of common jobs here] can solve quadratic equations.

link   

Every single time somebody posts the word "triggered" an Angel gets all pissed off.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I doubt that you can even point at what standard would be lowered.

It is so much fluff. I doubt that you really care all that much if the staff at your favorite [insert place of common jobs here] can solve quadratic equations.

Justify it all you want.

This is fun!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

Every single time somebody posts the word "triggered" an Angel gets all pissed off.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
The fact that ALL KNOWLEDGE IS VALUABLE and should be part of their lives.

It is up to the individual to value knowledge or not. You think everyone a hundred years ago was a rocket scientist?

What you propose is a society of insects and classes purpose built for their "role"

I'm not proposing anything. I said that non tech fields can do without the algebra requirement, because they can.

Its not a "tech requirement". Its a component of math. Something people should all try to master to a mind opening degree.

Actually it is advance mathematics. It wasn't a requirement for most of human history. Many people still only learn it to pass the state exam and the world continues to spin.

And the proposal is to eliminate the requirement from non tech fields. Context and whatnot, still, I think you are exaggerating a bit.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join