It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

What?

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
The dumbing down of society is to blame for the dumbing down of society..

Throw on top the most narcissistic, spoiled and entitled era, and wah-lah!

Welcome to 2017 and beyond!

There has always been dumbing down of society since at least 70's from my experience so it is nothing new. I've had to tutor people in Algebra and English.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: c2oden

I don't agree with lowering standards, where did you get that from? I agree with having a conversation about solving a problem within education about math literacy. The OP apparently thinks that is stupid and Leftist.

That wasn't aimed right at you. It is the dumbing down of our educational system based on feelings that makes me mad.

I'm also against participation trophies and not keeping score.
The not keeping score thing really pisses me off.
The kids are keeping score.
They know the score.
edit on 2017-07-21T22:16:58-05:002201721America/Chicago7 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just answer my damn question. WHERE, and please bold it for me, does it say "Leftists"?

YOUR title says "Leftists", but I cannot find it anywhere in anything you linked.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So no one is for lowering standards.

Good.

Who is for lowering standards?

Who is for eliminating algebra?

I wonder what ideology they embrace?

Is it conservatives who are for this?

If so then they are mouth-breathing morons.

Historically, I have seen leftists lower standards in public school systems.

I did assume that leftists are again responsible.

If those that are for lowering the standards by eliminating algebra are not leftists then I humbly apologize.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: ketsuko

The OP is specifically about algebra being a requirement. Guess that make's your example a strawman.

And the article is about how some kids have so much trouble with it that there should be ways around algebra to get their requirements for some highly technical fields.

It's like the how common core gives kids partial points if they do the process, even if the answer is wrong, but no points if they simply write down the correct answer with no process.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Dumbing down society takes a few generations, so what started in the 70's is coming to fruition now.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

This sounds fascist:

I grew up with that. "hey guys you wont ever need this but the state test is coming up and you need to pass that."

You are in favor of this despite being done by force and not exactly true that they will actually need it later in life?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Why do you want to stifle people trying to have a conversation in order to solve a problem?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Why do you want to stifle people trying to have a conversation in order to solve a problem?

Why do you hate freedom?

See?

I can do it to.

If you want to discuss why we should lower standards and justify it, knock yourself out.

Go for it.

Explain why standards should be lowered.

Go for it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, algebra. Your example wasn't algebra.

Also the article says:

So if you're not a STEM major (science, technology, engineering, math), why even study algebra?

That sounds like dropping the requirement for non technical fields, not highly technical fields.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hard to take a side here, on one hand, some on the left want safe spaces..etc and one the other hand some on the right want to limit education to what they feel is appropriate.

How about we teach the youth the truth about history in all it's ugly glory. Also if we feel children are mature enough to handle a gun, they should also be mature enough to handle sex education and all that comes with it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There was a linked article to the actual article that further explains what they mean.

They are asking if a person majoring in infant and early childhood education should be required to learn college level algebra. It is like the debate over replacing "pure math" with "applied math" or "business math."

Basically, the issue is nothing like what DB has made it out to be.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

So you don't see it as lowering standards.

hmph.

Okay.

*shrugs*

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Is eliminating a requirement for non technical fields really lowering the standard?

Isn't it always the case with specialization that some knowledge in unrelated fields becomes unnecessary?
edit on 21-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I think it is worth looking into. I am not going to ignorantly call the idea stupid without knowing more about the issue.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I guess you didnt understand me.

I didn't like being told that I didnt need to learn certain things because I was an idiot and that only smart kids need be bothered to learn more.

Standardized testing is all Common core and things like what is mentioned in the OP are about.

Teach to the test, test for the funding, rinse and repeat.

Thats why they want to dumb things down. More kids pass, more funding is given.

Its all BS.

Also do you think I am a freaking moron?

Fascist? Freedom? Wash your mouth its full of it. You arent being honest anymore.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is about community colleges, not actual colleges or universities. Of course colleges and universities should have requirements.
Seem pretty odd for community colleges to require Algebra in say English Literature course.
Also isn't it the public schools responsibility to ensure that the students understand and pass Algebra?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman
That is how I honestly understood it.

Besides, what is dishonest about being told that you had to learn the material just to fill the requirement?

For a lot of people it is the truth. Why not just take the next step and stop requiring it?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Why not just take the next step and stop requiring it?

LOL

Why do anything? BEcause YOLO.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join