It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Who here is defending removing Algebra?

link   

Apparently reading comprehension is hard for you.

link   
I guess some use advanced math for work and some of us use it because that is how we roll but the truth is that most people don't need anything beyond the most basic algebra.

Many probably won't need more than arithmetic.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: mymymy

OK, I know you're an "Independent" and not a Republican, but can you show me where it says "leftist", or anything not to do with the Republican party?

"Leftist" is any damned person that would cut the throat of innovation, restrict freedoms, wipe the asses of college students, and defend a failing educational system by lowering the bar even lower than it is now.

So there's no rightists who do the same?
See you are playing partisan game despite your claim to the contrary.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Get pissy all you want, but nowhere does it say "Leftist" or "Democrat" anywhere on your link.

Also, WHO is defending this? WHO hates freedom?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Define "need" as concerned with a person's growth and their personal pursuit of knowledge.

Unless you think that some dont need to aspire to be more.....
edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It may even be the wrong question to ask, but asking a wrong question is still a good thing... eventually you get to the right question.

It's certainly better than pooping on anything that challenges your norms and screaming "Leftist!" constantly.

There are no agendas, no left, no right in mathematics.
It is math. Your beliefs do not change what it is.
How it's taught does not change what it is.
WTF? Why lower standards for something that is based on standards?
Sometimes I can't believe what I read.

edit on 2017-07-21T22:02:11-05:002201721America/Chicago7 by c2oden because: can't even

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
Define "need" as concerned with a person's personal growth and their pursuit of knowledge.

That isn't how I was using it.

I used need in regards to actually using it in their daily life. Many won't need it.

What they strive for personally is something I can't answer.

Unless you think that some dont need to aspire to be more.....

That is up to the individual.

The OP says that it being required would be eliminated not that it would not be available.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

And no one is saying to stop. Is there something wrong with exploring new ways to teach those skills?

It's math.

2+2=4

Or at least it always did until it got too hard to do.

Maybe the problem is that we now have a mentality that every child should go to college, and if we are discovering that not every child is cut out for college, instead of realizing that some kids would benefit by hands-on hard skills training like trade school, we need to find ways to pretend we've made them college ready. And sometimes, that looks like lowering the standards to make those kids feel better rather than by actually discovering how to teach those kids reasoning skills they may not be cut out to do.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

That isn't algebra.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I grew up with that. "hey guys you wont ever need this but the state test is coming up and you need to pass that."

No. Its an already failed attitude. We should make kids think they need to learn everything they can because the truth is that the only security they will ever really have is a full and active mind.

Science should not look like magic to them. Things should not have to be dumbed down to a point of uselessness. They need to understand how the world and things work.

If not they will one day only "need" to eat, sleep and have sex. All else wont get you paid son. Get your money up ya heard.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Apparently to the "Independents" on here, it is

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I don't agree with lowering standards, where did you get that from? I agree with having a conversation about solving a problem within education about math literacy. The OP apparently thinks that is stupid and Leftist.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I know you didn't bring up freedom, the OP did, but that sounds rather fascist.

Are you sure that is your position?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

That isn't algebra.

Of course that one isn't.

But the point is that math is math whether it's algebra or not. You cannot change how it works. Numbers do not lie, nor do they change how they work. Now matter how you 2+2 is presented to you, it will always equal 4.

In order to be in any technical field and do well at it, you need to understand math.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The OP is specifically about algebra being a requirement. Guess that make's your example a strawman.

link   

No one is talking about getting rid of math as a requirement for anything. They are talking about alternatives to just an algebra requirement that are just as challenging.

Do you risk a negative form of tracking? Depriving a student of the possibility of saying in community college: "Wow, that quadratic equation is the most interesting thing I've ever seen. I think I'm going to do more stuff like this."

We're certainly not saying that we're going to commit students to lower levels of math or different kinds of math. What we're saying is we want more students to have math skills that allow them to keep moving forward. We want to build bridges between the kinds of math pathways we're talking about that will allow them to continue into STEM majors. We don't want to limit students.

NPR

DBC shows why right wingers can be so damned stupid.

I noticed that as well.

He linked twitter instead of the article. Looks like he saw the one liner then jumped to conclusions without reading the article.

link   

Get pissy all you want, but nowhere does it say "Leftist" or "Democrat" anywhere on your link.

so you're not defending this?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

so you're not defending this?

Doy?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The dumbing down of society is to blame for the dumbing down of society..

Throw on top the most narcissistic, spoiled and entitled era, and wah-lah!

Welcome to 2017 and beyond!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join