It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't know... as long as it challenges the brain. It's a conversation worth having. It's really sad that you'd rather shove your head up your hyper-partisan bum. Can't have new things! Can't talk about doing things in a new way!
edit on 7/21/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What is wrong with new math concepts that are just as challenging as Algebra? Are you afraid it will be beyond you? Are you afraid it will make you feel stupid? Old? The world is different, new math is appropriate.

What does that even mean?

Math is math is math. Certain concepts need to be learned before you learn others.
The whole "new math" idea is just a different way of teaching the same concepts. The math doesn't actually change.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Point being what? Do we not relate to the world differently than we used to?

link   
a reply to: Kali74

Algebra is pretty critical for the math that takes place in almost all STEM majors.

Heck just having a problem that looks like this 4 + __ = 10 engages the very basic algebraic reasoning, and you do that in grade school math before any mentions the "evil" "A" word. My son was doing problems like these last year in Kindergarten!

link   

My son once said that to me. I said, "Aren't you going out on a date tonight?" He said, "Yes". I said, "Did you plan what you're going to spend?" He said, "Yeah. Why?" I said, "Two people, at two meals, plus two movie tickets and two drinks plus two popcorn." He said, "yeah, so?" Algebra.

So you need Algebra to figure that out and not just simple addition? Maybe I'm not understanding

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Old hyper-partisan people calling people old and hyper-partisan.

And we're talking about math...
ATS never fails to entertain.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Word problem reasoning is basic algebraic reasoning, and we all use that pretty much every day ... or at least you should.

Maybe, on second thought given the number of folks who apparently have no clue how to run a basic budget, it happens less than I thought.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

OK, I know you're an "Independent" and not a Republican, but can you show me where it says "leftist", or anything not to do with the Republican party?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And no one is saying to stop. Is there something wrong with exploring new ways to teach those skills?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Every day I relate to the world differently. Every day I use math exactly the same as the day I learned it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

OK, I know you're an "Independent" and not a Republican, but can you show me where it says "leftist", or anything not to do with the Republican party?

"Leftist" is any damned person that would cut the throat of innovation, restrict freedoms, wipe the asses of college students, and defend a failing educational system by lowering the bar even lower than it is now.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It may even be the wrong question to ask, but asking a wrong question is still a good thing... eventually you get to the right question.

It's certainly better than pooping on anything that challenges your norms and screaming "Leftist!" constantly.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

cut the throat of innovation

Is that not exactly what you just tried to do with this thread?

link   

I think this entire concept is escaping many. Its not like knowing Shakespeare and Homer or comics and anime. Its like knowing the alphabet and then being able to form words. Then words to sentences.

It takes a while to realise that you cant do more complex math operations unless you learn the progressive steps into each skill set needed to even get started putting it all together.

Like learning how to count so you can then learn to add or subtract.

It has nothing to do with being "relevant". Its about being functional.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Yes because that's how learned it... are you suggesting there's only one way to learn things?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No one is being forced to go to college. If it is too hard for you don't go and learn a trade.

most trades require math, some more than others.
maybe the states and counties should be focusing on making sure that students have a grasp on it before entering the real world, or moving on to higher learning.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

"Leftist" is any damned person that would cut the throat of innovation, restrict freedoms, wipe the asses of college students, and defend a failing educational system by lowering the bar even lower than it is now.

That's all well and good, but it didn't really answer my question.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

cut the throat of innovation

Is that not exactly what you just tried to do with this thread?

NPR asked a question.

I'm just answering it.

Sorry math is hard for you.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

That's all well and good, but it didn't really answer my question.

Then let me try again.

I say, "leftist" because # and # are not allowed by T&C.

I can't believe that anyone would defend such a moronic move as supporting getting rid of algebra.

But then again, we have people on this site who hate freedom, so anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Not at all. See, I learned how to take a word problem and write my own equation from it.
I also had parental input on the math I was learning, so I got multiple ways of looking at math problems.

However, "new math" insists on only doing it the one way presented.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join