It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've had to help people in the 80's and 90's with Algebra and English (which is ironic since I am deaf) so apparently the problem started before that. You'll have to ask the schools, teachers, parents, the educational system, society and government. Maybe it's the checials in the food and water?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Liquesence

Is that how you view the article?

Because to me they are trying to determine why some think getting rid of math is justifiable.

The entire topic is a justification to weasel out of algebra.

How so?

If people weren't aware, and you didn't read the article, it would be easier to happen.

That's why it's awareness. We learn something. We can comment on it. Act on it if we have to. Call people. Or stay apathetic and bitch on the internet.
edit on 21-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

"Math is hard, so should we have to do it?"

Supervised, I'd say that's what we have mathematicians for. The Walking Calculated. But...

I am often left, unsupervised.

edit on 21-7-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Did you read the article?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Did you read the article?

Yes.

Do you think math is too hard?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: underwerks
I have a calculator on my phone.

Math=Destroyed.

Can you do math without a calculator?

That was a joke.

I can, but it was all self taught after I graduated high school. I have friends from India that had a better education than I did while growing up.

It's better to spend that money on more bombs I guess, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

It is a common misconception that spending more money = better education. Fact is that we spend more money than most other developed nations on our education system and do not achieve better results than they do.

It is also a gross oversimplification to think that money = solution to a problem.

And the biggest joke of all is that the same people who think they can run our education system also want to run our education.

edit on 21-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

No one sits with their kids anymore. No one asks what they are reading, IF they are reading, what they are learning.

I ask my kids every time I pick them up from school what they learned today and we talk about it.

Their stories and snippets they see.

My wife and I make sure the kids do school work everyday, vacation or otherwise. If the teacher gives them a pass, we dont.

It is allot of trouble and I can understand slipping here and there. You cant avoid it everytime.

It is still the solemn duty of every breeder to produce the best possible successors to humanity that their resources and means allow.

Emotional intelligence is important but does not weigh heavier than discipline.

They go hand in hand. A responsible person is a kind person.

Courtesy is diplomacy and mutual understanding is survival.

We should not mold the school to the student. We should mold the teacher to the student and the student to the school.

Every generation should be grateful to the ones that came before them and courteous to the ones that follow. If they do that they will be righteous against injustice and noble in strength.

We should strive to make humanity better, not more comfortable. If we try to make things easier instead of greater, we will drain the nobility out of our past and sacrifice our truth for lies. All in the name of comfort. All at the expense of those that follow

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Heck, why bother to learn anything anymore? We have smartphones hooked up to Google which tells us everything we could ever need to know ...

/sarc

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No one is talking about getting rid of math as a requirement for anything. They are talking about alternatives to just an algebra requirement that are just as challenging.

Do you risk a negative form of tracking? Depriving a student of the possibility of saying in community college: "Wow, that quadratic equation is the most interesting thing I've ever seen. I think I'm going to do more stuff like this."

We're certainly not saying that we're going to commit students to lower levels of math or different kinds of math. What we're saying is we want more students to have math skills that allow them to keep moving forward. We want to build bridges between the kinds of math pathways we're talking about that will allow them to continue into STEM majors. We don't want to limit students.

NPR

DBC shows why right wingers can be so damned stupid.
edit on 7/21/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Aww, sorry algebra is so hard.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I say we drop math and teach reading comprehension seems to be a lack in this area.

Deaf Alien "There are non so deaf as those who will not hear."

Seriously, NPR raises a question and they are the ones trying to dumb down america!?!

This coming from the side of the political spectrum that has been, criticizing teachers, criticizing higher education, criticizing science, criticizing educated people as "the elites", criticizes a well educated president and elects... well Donald Trump.

This is why I find myself ignoring ATS more and more lately.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Questions can be difficult to answer, therefore we should stop asking them.

Especially if they require thought, rather than a left or right knee jerk.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I think the goal should be to have students know enough before HS to be able to then LEARN calculus BEFORE college OR trade school. Not optionally after scholastic life once in the workforce as is set with curriculums like "common core" in the US. Future adults are treated as though they dont have to know more if their factory job or whatever doesnt really push them to.

Kids will laugh at the idea of being astronauts or engineers if they know they are set apart from "Smart" kids. Not because the others are smarter, but because they are less capable. That is the message a young person is growing with.

I say push, pull and hold their hand to do ever more challenging things. You cant do that by skipping certain steps. Not if you honestly want better people.

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Aww, sorry anything new is so hard.

Your lack of integrity and propensity for cowardice rears it's ugly head... again.

Your premise is wrong and you don't have the balls to admit it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

They talked about solutions before college in the article.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Beautiful post. I agree 100%.

The parents are KEY to the whole equation. But were parents more diligent in the past? Were they more involved with their children? I think the learning institutions play a big role themselves. Maybe the fruits of their labor are starting to show with the students now becoming the parents overseeing this degradation. I wonder where the cycle can be broken and sanity restored? Maybe the great cycle of generations will spit out our saviours, generation Z.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The whole subject illuminates the failure of our education system.

And to cover up the dumbing down they posit the idea that algebra is too hard.

And of course you support it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Its true, 10 out of 9 NPR listeners think math is too hard.
edit on 21-7-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

What is wrong with new math concepts that are just as challenging as Algebra? Are you afraid it will be beyond you? Are you afraid it will make you feel stupid? Old? The world is different, new math is appropriate.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What is wrong with new math concepts that are just as challenging as Algebra? Are you afraid it will be beyond you? Are you afraid it will make you feel stupid? Old? The world is different, new math is appropriate.

You're right.

Analytical trig or calculus would suffice.

Agree?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join