It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Coward.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Coward.

Master baiter. The CIA would be so proud of you.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus
a reply to: DBCowboy

Also, you're grossly over-simplifying the issue, as your kind is often wont to do. People probably wouldn't fail algebra so often if they were taught it to a sufficient degree in high school. Unfortunately, our education budget is terrible, and your buddy Trump wants to make even more drastic cuts to it.
But, hey... why actually consider the complexities of an issue or the roots of a problem when you can just grossly oversimplify it in order to make more idiotic and uninformed attacks on people who don't agree with your politics? People like you do nothing but diminish the discourse in this country. You actively make the population dumber, more hateful, and more divisive.

There is nothing wrong with the budget for education. We spend more per pupil than any country on earth. The problem is the apportionment of the budget. Bureaucratic administration sucks the money out of the system that should be going to classroom teachers. With each new layer of regulations, (local, state or federal) the size of the administrative staff grows and the percentage of available dollars to academic instruction drops. Unions have absolutely ruined the teaching profession in many areas of the country.

If you wish to address the root of the problem it is the federal government poking its nose into areas where the federal government was never meant to go. Education is a state issue. Abolish the education department and send the bureaucrat administrators to find work in the private sector. Several years ago it was costing our small school system over half a million dollars a year to hire people just to fill out federal forms. In addition we were expending nearly another half million to send administrators, faculty and staff to federally mandated "training" of one type or another.

You've been brainwashed into believing that throwing money at any problem will solve it. "Your kind" always advocates somebody handing over more money. That is oversimplifying the problem. It is much the same approach as is being suggested by NPR. If a number of students are failing a class---the class must be too hard so let's not make the failures feel like failures. Let's lie to them and tell them they are equal to having a degree even though they are not capable of meeting the standards required by that degree.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Ironic your talking about how the government wait's money ,yet you have not made the connection that for many college algebra is uneccessary. The reason they have to is someone decided it was required even though in their career it won't be used.

So it's OK to waist money in certain circumstances how do you decide where it's OK to waist money??

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Coward.

Come on dude. At no point in this discussion have you ever addressed the actual issue.

First of all, we've seen in the data from many of the pilots across the country that are using alternative math pathways — that are just as rigorous as an algebra course — we've seen much greater success for students because many of these students can relate to these different kinds of math depending on which program of study they're in. They can see how it works in their daily life and how it's going to work in their career.....

*Looks around. This is the mud-pit*

You're a hyper-partisan clown-shoe whether you know it or not. You wanted a right-wing circle jerk about a topic that NPR provocatively tweeted as a marketing ploy and you aren't getting exactly what you expected so you're digging in on a position you took to get back slaps from the alt-right cretins that have destroyed the legitimate discourse here.

It's #ing ridiculous. More like DBCoward.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I can't do math. I have always had a terrible time with math. My brain might not be wired for math. I'm very good with language and linguistics. I can write an essay quite well. But I can't do math.

I have always had an inability to process numbers. I applied myself for many hours. So many students could simply ace tests yet I could not even do the homework. I tried to do the homework. I got additional tutoring and still failed at math.

College has too much rigid course work that is entirely irrelevant to the field of choice. Math is great for an engineering major, but art history, political science etc... what's the point?

Does a surgeon really need to go to years of college? If you've got a steady hand and experience dissecting enough cadavers there's a good chance any idiot could do surgery, provided you have a steady hand and understanding of anatomy.

All the practical study does not really equate to experience.

That is the problem with college, it insists that coursework is relevant to daily life, when it is not.

Math is a very powerful subject.

But I do believe some people can't do it. When I say I can't do math, I mean it like if I were crippled and you told me to walk. I would push myself to do it, but get absolutely nowhere.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

That isn't math, its arithmetic.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

And you are going to justify lowering standards also.

*shrugs*

Own it.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You are just being obtuse.

Own that.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

justify lowering standards

Howdy DBCoward,

How can we lower the standards of your partisan Bollocks in the mud pit?

Now, if I may raise another point:

The elephant in the room when talking about racial disparities in American schools is the school-to-prison pipeline, another disparity that begins early.

U.S. Education: Still Separate and Unequal

You really can't see how that issue might be connected to the piece from your OP?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Maybe we should force people to learn math by making it impossible to log onto their phone, computer or dumb TV without first solving a math problem...

There would be a few less dumb asses online, forcing us to read through their nonsensical bull#e...
edit on 23-7-2017 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Are you saying that it is racist to have high standards?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Vouchers ARE FOR a better education. You keep saying they cant afford it. It is a voucher. Yes they can.

Public schools get near no sympathy from me. My daughter goes to one in the Bronx. They are terrible. As soon as I can I will get her into a decent school. My tax dollars are being wasted as far as I am concerned.

I am not being difficult with this. I actually know many public schools in NYC. SOME are worth supporting. Most are full of people just trying to get a pay check and fighting for greater shares of our taxes.

EDIT TO ADD:
Funding goes up every year. Results dont.

edit on 7 23 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It shouldn't be required because kids should be capable of learning it *before* they get to college and if they aren't, then maybe they aren't college material?

That is the function of trade schools and apprenticeships which have sadly been spat upon to the point where they are shriveled on the vine.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

And we can't address *that* issue without talking about the culture of certain segments of the population where education is not valued.

Kids in third world countries with crap for schools somehow learn how to read, write, and do basic arithmetic in far worse conditions than some of these inner city schools, and yet, our inner city kids can't manage it even when we fork over $20K+/student in some places?

That goes far beyond not having the funds, which is a crap argument, they are there and into the culture where trying to get educated is called "acting white" and derided.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, according to the op's logic, you just want everyone to be dumbed down.

That, according to them, is all it could be.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Are you saying that it is racist to have high standards?

I'm trying to say that this rather looks like another upside - down issue.

By comparison, U.S. student scores remained in the middle of the pack. But the most telling difference between Finns and Americans when it comes to education is child poverty.

Poverty is the most relevant factor in determining the outcome of a person's educational journey, and in Finland, the child poverty rate is about 5%. In the U.S., the rate is almost five times as high. Unlike us, the Finns calculate the rate of poverty after accounting for government aid, but the differences remain substantial.

A poverty, not education, crisis in U.S.: Column

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Ironic your talking about how the government wait's money ,yet you have not made the connection that for many college algebra is uneccessary. The reason they have to is someone decided it was required even though in their career it won't be used.

So it's OK to waist money in certain circumstances how do you decide where it's OK to waist money??

Apparently the money spent in educating many people in the art of writing to communicate effectively was "waisted" as well....
I'm curious to know how so many people can predict the future so accurately as to know what math skills will be needed? Do you have computer models or do you just use the old tea leaves method?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You'd need to know algebra and statistics to accurately ballpark just how many dimes you'd have?

Note: if you came up with any answers but that one to this statement You're personally responsible for Americans sucking at STEM.... LOL

Note 2: It's not STEAM damnit and it never should be! If you want to use STEM skills in your artistic endeavors that's awesome! Don't get me wrong i totally support that! This said though, if there's only X amount of budget to cover y number of "critical core competencies" the smaller number y represents the better!

Damnit!

There i go using Algebra again... Sorry liberals, please continue telling us how not teaching algebra / if we only defunded defense no one would be poor blah blah blah... I mean, you guys believe that crap because you suck at even basic math... So sure why not make THAT SITUATION even worse...

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The career choice is what determines what will be needed.

Where did you get the idea that anything fancy was needed to figure that out?

At least it shows why you think everyone needs advanced maths.
edit on 23-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join