It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. Actually forcing requirements are the opposite of freedom.

Besides the other two fallacies, this is even more obvious but still here you are arguing.

Providing the opportunity to learn more is anti-freedom.

Really.

So more knowledge is anti-freedom.

please, tell me more.

Providing the opportunity is freedom.

Forcing one to purchase that opportunity that you never wanted is not freedom.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Institutions of higher learning have faculties (colleges in the US) for a reason. The focus is on becoming a professional in a specific field. They should be getting well rounded adults who are ready to focus on a career.

Whether they get them or not can be argued but that is not the topic of the thread.
edit on 22-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

You see I agree with that. They SHOULD be ready.

That is why I say the education system in the US has failed.

I am not speaking of universities and trade schools. I mean everything before them.

Colleges and trade schools should have a proficiency test, and if you fail basic math or what ever then you should have to study and pass it to even start.

Thats not the case?

Their standards should not be lowered to accommodate lesser formed students.

There should be a general aim to educate the person and not just the future employee.

edit on 7 22 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Besides the other two fallacies, this is even more obvious but still here you are arguing.

Really.

please, tell me more.

This and what Trumcarthy said on the previous page, is dead on.

You shouldn't have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars per credit hour to take a gym class in which you walk around campus for an hour every three days.

I did that #. I want that money back. lol
edit on (7/22/1717 by PistolPete because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Algebra is the most failed course at community colleges across the country. Is it time to nix the requirement? n.pr/2vCphok

mobile.twitter.com...

NPR tweeted a question.

Let me paraphrase;

"Math is hard, so should we have to do it?"

America is going to be one of the dumbest nations on earth because we don't want to make college "hard" for the poor little twits.

I can't see how anyone with 2 brain cells would agree with NPR. This goes beyond stupid. This is criminal. This is a deliberate attempt to dumb-down people. Now NPR may be all for "Womyn Studies" and "Gyno-Anger Weaving" and "Hating Whitey".

But math?

Nah. Too hard.

*pouty face*

These inbred morons are giving idiots a bad name!

You're right. America is heading towards a singularity of dumbness.

Take literacy for example.

NPR poses a question for debate.

People read it as a manifesto for "the left".

You're screwed.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Really.

please, tell me more.

This and what Trumcarthy said on the previous page, is dead on.

You shouldn't have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars per credit hour to take a gym class in which you walk around campus for an hour every three days.

I did that #. I want that money back. lol

Is it possible that both sides agree on this?
Is this the end of the world?
Oh wait like the other thread said it's 22-7-17.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

NPR poses a question for debate. 

People read it as a manifesto for "the left". 

When I read the OP I imagined this:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Ok, but the article that the thread is referring to is talking about requirements to graduate from non tech fields. At that point if a student requires algebra or not can be based on what they will see in their chosen field.

It doesn't change the failure of lower education but it also doesn't need to be the place where a non essential subject should be forced upon the student.

People are questioning that and I don't see it being as big of a deal as the OP is making it out to be.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I think it is what he said it is. A lowering of standards.

If they require it of tech students to know or at least learn about art or business people to learn about science or what ever the case, then it can be of far greater benefit to all.

The catching up should be on the past institutions dime. There should be a dedicated portion of every school in the US for returning alumni to take remedial relearning classes for adults. If they honestly tried to pass and fail any part of an entrance exam, the "prep" school should finish teaching them for free.

The case has always been that if you were stellar in something you wouldnt have to take the 101 version of it, or at all unless a professor of what you are learning says its related in a beneficial way to your education.

edit on 7 22 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
The catching up should be on the past institutions dime. There should be a dedicated portion of every school in the US for returning alumni to take remedial relearning classes for adults. If they honestly tried to pass and fail any part of an entrance exam, the "prep" school should finish teaching them for free.

I can agree with this 100%. Public school classrooms are essentially unused after the final bell rings and for two months in the summer. There's no reason that this infrastructure that's already in place couldn't be used for remedial or even night classes for adults.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
What seems far more outrageous to me is the for profit schools that take students money and gives them worthless empty paper in return.

Like, who was that guy who got in trouble for running some sort of trump university or something?

Bleeding lefties.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   

This is quite refreshing in a very stupid way.

Geez ...is there more acid in the tapwater than usual or are you guys having a drinking game going on here?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I have a college degree. I received a Bachelor of Arts in communications (radio/tv/film). I wanted to be a tv news producer (like Holly Hunter in the movie Broadcast News). I ended up getting into advertising and marketing, working my way up the corporate ladder pretty successfully, thank you. Before I retired, I worked for 6 years managing a call center with a 6-figure salary. All in all, I think I did pretty well.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I'm well-read, articulate, I keep up with current events, and I enjoy debating on multiple subjects.

Guess what. I never took a math class in college. It wasn't a requirement for my major and it wasn't my interest. I first learned about critical thinking in my freshman American History class, believe it or not.

Not everyone needs to graduate college with the knowledge of an astronaut. If that is lowering standards, then I guess I'm for lowering standards.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Nooo, they can't stop teaching Algebra, it is the only maths I have ever understood. I am numerically dyslexic and a complete maths moron. At uni, where we could use calculators, books and notes for the exam, I didn't pass even though I went to all lectures and listened carefully. The Tutor eventually gave me the minimum of points so I would at least pass the course. he had never seen such ineptitude.

Cue a few years back at school, I was always last in maths. Yet suddenly we learned Algebra. Wow. Me, the maths idiot actually got the equivalent of an A+ and ended up in the [A maths group and not the B group, where I really should have been]. I totally got it, I still love it. Don't get rid of it. Us number blind people should have this chance to show we are not as stupid as others think.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

No one is talking about getting rid of it - just not making it required for certain areas of studies.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Full disclosure; I actually didn't read the NPR article...well, that is, until I read your response. Then I did.

I couldn't believe an institution of higher learning could ever make such an idiotic statement, such as you quoted, and I had to go see if they actually said those words!

Ummm...the comprehension of Statistics isn't even possible without an understanding of basic Algebra!!

99 out of 50 people surveyed agree. It's no wonder California is such a F#'d up state! In fact, for every 7 people polled, 9 of them cat-eforickly agree "algebra be whack". "I don' be needin' no algebras to jack-up homebouy over there den take he wallet. I be's gettin' me some cheddah! Nawww, see what I's be sayin???" "Don' be needin' no algebras ta go downtown N pick up mah baby-mama's check from da man neitha!"

What a load of crap!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What a load of crap!

I'm still thinking that about this thread as well.

Meanwhile your educational system goes down the drain and students have to live in poverty unless they don't have a cash cow in-house. And now we're talking about the whole scope of crapload...
edit on 22-7-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

I'm non aligned but even I can tell PBS and NPR are hard left liberals...

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think Trig Calculus and Physics intro should be required.

Along with a bunch of other stuff that currently isn't....

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So wait, you worked in advertising and marketing AND you want the average consumers education lowered?

Not a coincidence.

Human civilization is supposed to advance not devolve. Money isn't everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join