It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR shows why leftists can be so damned stupid

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Is it so hard to believe that you don't need knowledge that doesn't apply to your field?

Oh. I agree. I hated general ed. at college.

And then I learned everything relates.

Why should I need to know about history?
Plays: 1776, Hamilton.

Why do I need to know about construction?
OSHA and ANSI and FIRE standards

Why would I need government?
Hierarchy and overall understanding of our political system.

I shouldn't need to know about biology. . .
"I need you to build a convincing alien. . ."

ETC.

All knowledge applies to your field, or to you as a well rounded person.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, I know a bunch of people who learned and retained algebra just long enough to pass. They don't remember it so how did kowing it for a couple of semesters help the world?

What would have changed if they hadn't been forced to pass?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Good Christ, it's like some people cannot comprehend that some things are not equal in ease among people. Some people can't spell for s#. Hurry up & make fun of them, we have plenty of prolific posters on here who suck at their own native tongue & deserve equal ridicule. It's your mother tongue, how can spelling it be hard, c'mon /sarc
Some people are terrible at basic science or chemistry, or can't keep basic world history straight. Need I go on?

I flunked Algebra.
I just could not grasp it. Nor calculus. Math is not a strength for me, it never has been. I got the basics down pat, but the higher math escapes me, it's like trying to read Ancient Greek, written in Mandarin to me. I'm absolutely NOT alone in that description.

What would have been fantastic is if there'd been an alternative higher math course for students to try their hand at if they couldn't swing Algebra. Just because one branch of mathematics isn't grasped well does NOT mean the rest won't be. Even my husband thinks this should be done, and he's borderline math gifted & works with Algebra, Calculus AND Trigonometry on a daily basis. If he can see the value of alternate branches in place of "suck it up" & failing grades, then why can't anyone else?

You cannot go to higher math without an understanding of what comes before. Just like you cannot read a book without knowing the alphabet.
To a degree I get what you are saying. I was a C student in Algebra. I was a B student in Geometry and Trig, but without Algebra I couldn't have been.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I found it funnier on the main page I saw ur thread then just underneath it another thread named "stop making this about Clinton", gave me a good chuckle, cause they're everywhere.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Time is limited. Getting the knowledge actually needed to do a job is a priority.

Nothing is keeping people from learning things that interest them outside their field but it is up to them.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Well, I know a bunch of people who learned and retained algebra just long enough to pass. They don't remember it so how did kowing it for a couple of semesters help the world?

What would have changed if they hadn't been forced to pass?

Don't know.

I guess faking knowledge helps in the short term.

Sad.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Perhaps you wouldn't have been, but everyone's different. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to a couple of people who failed Algebra as badly as I did, but excelled at other branches they shouldn't have been able to understand, by your claim. Some people have everything fall into place that way and the predecessor branch suddenly makes sense. Not everything is A to B to C linear in learning, we're all wired differently.

For a website that thinks cookie cutter education is bullcrap & doesn't work, they sure do seem to think that stance doesn't apply to mathematics.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I just read the article did you cowboy I think you made a boo boo.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

No, not all knowledge applies to every field.

Being well rounded is vague.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yup back to work chop chop

You can be a retard as long as you pay your taxes.

Its a wonder why people like me see others like parasites sometimes.

It really isnt about a better world, isnt it.

edit on 7 22 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

HAHAHAHA

and being obtuse is not productive.

EDIT TO ADD:

electricformulas.blogspot.com...

This thread made me look that up. I now know more. I am vaguely a better empowered person than 30 minutes before.

link   

Time is limited. Getting the knowledge actually needed to do a job is a priority.

Nothing is keeping people from learning things that interest them outside their field but it is up to them.

It's important to learn Algebra before how to learn to hammer nails.

I remember when I was young I went to a community college and they were demonstrating a wireframe model of a space shuttle rotating on a computer (that was in 80's).
Of course that requires more than a knowledge of algebra.

link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
I just read the article did you cowboy I think you made a boo boo.

hahahahahaha

No.

I think this has brought to light the idea that lowering the standards would be a good thing, based on the posts of some.

It's a good discussion.

But please, feel free to disagree with me.

I think we should raise standards of education.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I don't think it is faking knowledge. Like most things in life, you loose it if you don't use it

If you don't use it it is a sign that you don't need it. Seems like nature doing its thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I think this has brought to light the idea that lowering the standards would be a good thing, based on the posts of some. 

Like I said you are seeing things that are not there.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

What was obtuse about pointing out that you could do exactly what you did, find the info if you want to?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

You both disagree with me.

Okay.

*shrugs*

I still think that lower educational standards is detrimental and will affect repercussions for the future.

But hey!

Fight for those lower standards!

Free speech!

Keep it up!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I wouldnt be able to understand it if I hadnt done so in every other situation where information was provided outside of my chosen profession. I had a good start because I went to a good High School.

I wouldnt be able to change my profession as freely as I have without being open to new things I was not good at before learning.

It all helped me do the next thing. If I had a better start I would have gotten ahead faster.

Every job I have had has had people that got promoted because they knew how to LEARN. I saw the people who didnt learn anything about anything would be stuck and powerless under the slightest change in life.

I would be driving a truck right now if I didnt know certain information I thought I wouldnt ever use. I literally saw people who couldnt learn the training material for a job because they were never exposed to any of it. Their teachers never thought they would need it.

Hell everything is optional beyond knowing how to fill out a welfare application at the standard you set.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Deaf Alien

You both disagree with me.

Okay.

*shrugs*

I still think that lower educational standards is detrimental and will affect repercussions for the future.

But hey!

Fight for those lower standards!

Free speech!

Keep it up!

You still are seeing things that are not there.
Nobody is advocating lowering educational standards. Quite the opposite.
We want people to be smart. We especially want the "rightists" to be smarter.
Quit smoking whatever it is that you are smoking.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

No, not all knowledge applies to every field.

Being well rounded is what makes today's Universities money. I'd finish my degree if I didn't have to take recreation and leisure studies or writing exams, since I've been writing on a professional level for 20 plus years.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join