It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. conducts Space Based War Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The U.S. began a war game' on Saturday, designed to gauge the effectivness of space technologies in a hypothetical situation in the War on Terror in the future. The game is necassary because the military has come to rely heavily on satellites for its communications, visual tracking and missile coordinations. The game includes experts from America, Britain, Canada, and Australia.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The U.S. military Saturday launched a five-day war game to see how space-based assets such as satellite communications and precision bomb guidance systems would fare in a hypothetical war against terrorism in 2020.

"This is not warfare in space. Our focus is how to best use our space-based assets to coordinate the joint terrestrial fight," said Brig. Gen. Daniel Darnell, commander of the Space Warfare Center at Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not surprising, unless you consider the disclosure prior to the end of the games. Could this be an indication that the U.S. is preparing for a beefed-up Iran/Middle East? Or is it a convenient explanation to test out some of their new toys? The last war game dealt with increased hostility with China, back in 2001, prior to the War on Terror being made official.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Anybody think that this could indicate a "what if we piss off the greys" scinario? Personally I think that we need exercises like this in order to test what we have. I do wonder if the US Dept. of Defense is concerned about a threat to it's space monopoly.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"This is not warfare in space. "

LOL yeah, it's not warfare in space, it's just warfare beyond Earth's atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
When they say this isn't warfare in space I'm not sure I trust them. Personally I wonder why they're doing such tests considering the fact we use these systems quite frequently. Although we need tests like this, why are we staging a war game over a system thats been proven several times over.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
While I wouldn't trust this much either, the case can be made for testing how satellites would hold up under a terrorist cyber attack...

Still, given the nations involved, I'm thinking this was much more than we're being led to believe...can you say SDI? I knew you could. My guess was that this was a test of the 2nd gen improvements to the system first put up in the 80's.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
When they say this isn't warfare in space I'm not sure I trust them. Personally I wonder why they're doing such tests considering the fact we use these systems quite frequently. Although we need tests like this, why are we staging a war game over a system thats been proven several times over.

Warfare in space is as natural a progression of warfare as naval combat following ships at sea.

Right now we don't have naval combat in space, we have the equivalent of primitive people fighting over fishing grounds by ramming into each other canoes.

In space we have eyes and ears - our entire commo system, GPS, and spy satellites. These are legitimate military targets. Kill GPS and the majority of advanced US weapons targeting systems go bye bye. Kill spy satellites and we have to resort to aerial flyovers. Kill commo and we are back down to shortwave. The capabilities of the US military would be severely diminished without GPS, spy satellites, and milsats.

So, of course, as we rely more on space, the doctrine for defending our assets in space - and defending of course also means offense against enemy satellites - is being developed. It has been for years and is now more overt.

I just find massive humor in the public relations attempts to ease space warfare into the mind of the public, by saying completely ludicrous things like 'this is not warfare in space,' when it is nothing but!

[edit on 7-2-2005 by halo_aura]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Ronald regan warned everyone on earth that there exists a threat in space,,just no one seems to rember..There is a need for space based weapons, like it or not. He tryed to tell everyone in that famous speach, though it seems it was not taken serious enough. Now our goverment is finally going to implement a weapon serious enough to contend with the problem.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidvisions
Ronald regan warned everyone on earth that there exists a threat in space,,just no one seems to rember..There is a need for space based weapons, like it or not. He tryed to tell everyone in that famous speach, though it seems it was not taken serious enough. Now our goverment is finally going to implement a weapon serious enough to contend with the problem.

"Sometimes I imagine, that if humanity were faced with an alien presence, that we could put aside our differences and act as one. And I ask you now, is not an alien presence already among us?"

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidvisions
Ronald regan warned everyone on earth that there exists a threat in space,,just no one seems to rember..

Does anyone else see the irony in that?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting that we all remember now that he's dead. God Bless his soul. Anyhow I'm pretty sure that Milnet is pretty hard to hack. Way out of any terrorist hackers league. It would take a professional with specialized training to hack our satelitte system. Anybody think that North Korea is involved in our near future?

top topics

join