It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Israel Anti Boycott Act (HR720/S720)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

That is a really interesting article:

The Israel Anti-Boycott Act would make it a felony for U.S. citizens to support boycotts of Israel and Israeli settlements, punishable by at least a $250,000 fine, with a maximum penalty of a fine of $1 million and 20 years in prison

A little bit extreme?

The BDS movement was born in 2005, when a coalition of Palestinian civil society groups called for people all over the world to engage in a nonviolent campaign to boycott, divest from and sanction Israel until it complies with international law.

So just asking for compliance with laws that are already established?

The attempt to criminalize the BDS movement comes amidst a deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where Israeli-imposed restrictions continue to limit electricity to between two and four hours a day for Gaza’s more than 2 million residents. Gaza has been under Israeli siege for more than a decade. In 2012, the World Health Organization warned Gaza would be uninhabitable by 2020, but now the U.N. says the living conditions in Gaza have deteriorated faster than expected, and the U.N. says the area has already become "unlivable."

It is interesting to note some of the politicians that are behind this.

hmmmmm

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: crazyewok

The UN is just playing the same old I'm only opposed to Zionism con game, while asking for actions that would punish the entire Jewish population of a country.

When is hate speech hate speech? Only when it's directed at certain groups, but it's OK if it's directed at others?

It's clear why the article was written to be deceptive in the extreme.

So because a nation is Jewish they should get a free pass ? Bull #.

And hate speech again bull#.

Enough of this everything is "hatespeech" and even if it is? Everyone should have freedom of speech even if "hateful" the only exception is speach that promotes violence.
Stop useing nanny goverment to force your ideals on others.

Israel has committed crimes, being Jewish is irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I find it helps to read the actual language before forming an opinion.

H.R. 1697

S. 720

This bill declares that Congress: (1) opposes the United Nations Human Rights Council resolution of March 24, 2016, which urges countries to pressure companies to divest from, or break contracts with, Israel; and (2) encourages full implementation of the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014 through enhanced, governmentwide, coordinated U.S.-Israel scientific and technological cooperation in civilian areas.

The article about the article and the actual article are pretty misleading. To support the HRC's resolution would be the real problem here. Institutional Antisemitism is not exactly something we should support unless we are now an Antisemitic nation ourselves. The UN's support of hate and why it's time to divest from the UN is what should be the topic.

I'd think that article was written in hopes that none of the readers would actually review what they are talking about.

You don't specify how the Article is misleading....

from the Democracy now piece:

And the way that it’s written, you know, if you read the bill itself, the penalties aren’t mentioned. You have to reference an underlying statute that it amends, and then, once you get to the underlying statute, then you see the million-dollar fine and the 20-year prison sentence, which the ACLU says, because you’ve brought that underlying statute into play, that that criminal statute could be brought in by a judge or a prosecutor.

www.democracynow.org...

Your cursory reading is anticipated and answered in the piece by Democracy now:

And the way that it’s written, you know, if you read the bill itself, the penalties aren’t mentioned. You have to reference an underlying statute that it amends, and then, once you get to the underlying statute, then you see the million-dollar fine and the 20-year prison sentence, which the ACLU says, because you’ve brought that underlying statute into play, that that criminal statute could be brought in by a judge or a prosecutor.

www.democracynow.org...

It is about enslavement, perhaps genocide of the Palestinian people by the 'STATE' of Israel not about jews in any way, unless you believe the two are one and the same. It is a common failing in this day and age so I forgive your confusion.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

a reply to: crazyewok

The UN is just playing the same old I'm only opposed to Zionism con game, while asking for actions that would punish the entire Jewish population of a country.

When is hate speech hate speech? Only when it's directed at certain groups, but it's OK if it's directed at others?

It's clear why the article was written to be deceptive in the extreme.

So because a nation is Jewish they should get a free pass ? Bull #.

And hate speech again bull#.

Enough of this everything is "hatespeech" and even if it is? Everyone should have freedom of speech even if "hateful" the only exception is speach that promotes violence.
Stop useing nanny goverment to force your ideals on others.

Israel has committed crimes, being Jewish is irrelevant.

Yep.Like I said, they were the original SJW's. That whole 'criticize us and you RAAAAAACIST SEXIST etc etc!' thing the SJW's wield, they merely borrowed that from the Zionist's and their 'criticize us and you ANTISEEEEEEMITE!'

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Israel is the Globalist U.N.'s biggest target, with America being right in their cross-hairs as well. I'm not a religious man, but damned if this wasn't prophesied long ago. The Global Government persecuting, and eventually attacking Israel, the "Armageddon" script is coming along nicely.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

edit on 22-7-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   
It's already happening in France www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
20 years for organising a boycott of a terrorist state. How very draconian,

And there exists those who will claim the American Government aren't puppets of the illegal Zionist State.

Some say the Zionist State is America's greatest ally. I've always wondered how exactly the US benefits from its ties to them..

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

And there exists those who will claim the American Government aren't puppets of the illegal Zionist State.

Some say the Zionist State is America's greatest ally. I've always wondered how exactly the US benefits from its ties to them..

They do nice things....like try and sink US navy ships.

Dont get me wrong as indvividual i sorta like jews. All my dealings with them have been pleasent and one of my exs was a polish jew with a great love of history.

I just dont like the nation of israel. Dont like its forign or domestic policy and quite frankly dont think it should of been carved out after WW2 at least not in the ME, would of been more fitting if the carved the new israel out of portions of Austria and Germany.
edit on 22-7-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The fact you vote for an 'elected official' to tell you what to do makes you a dummy. You also want a personal slave to tell others what to do on your behalf like you are some kind of 3rd rate Pharaoh. You must think very highly of yourself! You are really, really, really important and have lots and lots of rights which need protecting. Your singular vote along with the parasites just like you are going to change the entire course of history and make the world a better place (for you) using force control, deception and by having authority over others in your precious name.

You vote for evil proxies on behalf of everybody. You are a glove puppet for death!

Your parasitic democratic system which you praise and worship represents freedom for the minority and slavery for the majority and you wonder why these things happen?? Why is it always about you and your choice? Anybody would think the world only revolves around you but what have you done to justify your existence? What is it you exactly do besides tell everybody you have rights which need protecting? Everything you do you do for yourself so why do you even have a voice?? When did you wake up and look in the mirror and decide you're going the only winner?

When you did you decide to get something for nothing???

You are GAY PRIDE!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Ohanka

They do nice things....like try and sink US navy ships.

Dont get me wrong as indvividual i sorta like jews. All my dealings with them have been pleasent and one of my exs was a polish jew with a great love of history.

I just dont like the nation of israel. Dont like its forign or domestic policy and quite frankly dont think it should of been carved out after WW2 at least not in the ME, would of been more fitting if the carved the new israel out of portions of Austria and Germany.

Well I have nothing against Jews either. But the creation of the Zionist State was quite possibly one of the greatest mistakes of the 20th century.

One has to be wary of the Zionist attempt to conflate Anti-Antisemitism with Anti-Zionism. We have the Anti-Defamation League to thank for that.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I'm not at all confused. At the heart of this is a desire to do away with Israel entirely. I was careful to use the term "Institutional Antisemitism", which by the way was obviously not directed at any person, but instead the UN Human Rights Council to make it clearer if it was not already.

I'm simply not buying the argument that is being made. They will not be arresting protestors who want Israel gone. That is absurd to even consider to be honest.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The above guarantees that.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   

I'm not at all confused. At the heart of this is a desire to do away with Israel entirely. I was careful to use the term "Institutional Antisemitism", which by the way was obviously not directed at any person, but instead the UN Human Rights Council to make it clearer if it was not already.

I'm simply not buying the argument that is being made. They will not be arresting protestors who want Israel gone. That is absurd to even consider to be honest.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The above guarantees that.

You are making a huge assumption, an unwarranted assumption there.

And no I don't think they are going to jail 'protestors in the streets' (though it could be done under the proposed law). The concern seems to be 'institutional divestment' (Pension funds, Educational Endowments and the like) which would drain Israel of Billions of dollars perhaps even leading to governmental divestment.

It's a way of encouraging change (i.e. Palestinian Human Rights) without direct force. One that is incremental and effective at many levels.

But then if you think Israel's ongoing "Progrom" towards the Palestinian people is sound, then that is your right. But personally I find it immoral to the point of evil and so do many Jews of my acquaintance. Be careful of what you hate - you will become it. I find Israel a horrific example of that adage.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
About 80% of the Palestinians in the west bank are peaceful and have no problem living with the Israeli people.
in Gaza its about 50%. but Hamas has so much power there that the non Hamas Palestinians living there fear speaking out because of what Hamas will do to them.

Its the outside funded radicals in both areas that don't want any peace with Israel.

Most Palestinians see living under Arab rule in countries around Israel as living under worse conditions then living in Israel.

One thing most people in the US don't understand in there is a third group in Israel that likes or has almost no problem with the Israeli government.
These are the Israeli arabs.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

...and yet you totally overlook the acts of the Palestinians ruled by Hamas. Where is the outrage against Hamas and the attacks on innocent civilians and even hiding behind innocent Palestinian civilians for cover?

This is not a one sided thing. I tend to be skeptical of any opinion that paints Israel as the only bad guy in the picture, since it's so dishonest on it's face.

perhaps even leading to governmental divestment.

In other words, to put an end to Israel, which is what I thought this was about.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

...and yet you totally overlook the acts of the Palestinians ruled by Hamas. Where is the outrage against Hamas and the attacks on innocent civilians and even hiding behind innocent Palestinian civilians for cover?

This is not a one sided thing. I tend to be skeptical of any opinion that paints Israel as the only bad guy in the picture, since it's so dishonest on it's face.

perhaps even leading to governmental divestment.

In other words, to put an end to Israel, which is what I thought this was about.

Invalid argument: You not only set up a strawman by misrepresenting the issue (Anti-BDS law) you don't even support your strawman very well...

edit on 25-7-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Canada tried to introduce this same legislation 2 years ago. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. Boycotting is one of the few powers that the people actually have in their tool kit.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Funny, I thought it was about ending the illegal and immoral "settlements".

new topics

<< 1   >>

join