It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thermomix, the magical German do-it-all kitchen appliance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Inside the box was the Thermomix TM5, a German mega-appliance that combines the functions of a high-speed blender, slow-cooker, mixer, food processor, digital scale, sous-vide machine, steamer, and smart phone. The $1,450 contraption won’t frost and light the candles on your birthday cake, but it’ll come damn close.

quartz.com - Thermomix, the magical German do-it-all kitchen appliance, is here to conquer America.

It is not a smart phone but it does connect to one so you can download recipes from the interweb.

The article is rather long so I'll try to explain what the guy is rambling about. He starts after WWII and the promise of a Jetson's Kitchen with push button everything and the little missus sipping Tom Collins while all the cooking is done for her. Then there is begrudging aside where he goes on and on about fast food and on-line food services. Then there is a comparison to gym memberships and running shoes with neither being used and are just status symbols.

Next up is a swipe at microwaves, bread machines, Cuisinarts, Kitchen-aids, and Vitamixers. Which is kind of his disclaimer about the topic at hand: Thermomix.

Franke placed the base of the Thermomix on my counter and plugged it in. About the size of a fancy cappuccino maker, it has a touch-screen that shows dials indicating the time, temperature, and speed, and a knob to control the blender speed.

There is a stainless steal carafe (2.2 liters) and a couple levels of steamer bowls that can sit on top. The carafe heats up, the steam rises and cooks the items in the bowls. You do the prep work in the carafe/blender/chopper (and in batches if doing lots of ingredients) then cook away.

But the catch is it is not always one-pot cooking. Sometimes you have to transfer to another dish and finish off in the oven or the stove top.

The thing is popular in Europe and is only sold via "evangelists" like Apple computer used to do. It is also word of mouth advertising. Or like Tupperware, there are "cooking parties" to demonstrate its uses. They are trying to build up an on-line presence here in the US. The model being sold has passed all the material tests, UL safety, etc., for the untapped US market.

The question is, "are Americans going to buy this product?" Pizza and burgers are kings of the fast food nation.

Is it a conspiracy? Good question for ATS! I personally have said many times, "everything is going to run on electricity" due to the fact that nuclear fusion is coming. So yeah, could be a conspiracy!

Seeing as I don't own a food processor, Sous vide machine, slow cooker, or even a blender, this might be a welcome addition to the kitchen!

Thermomix link: Home Page (US)

Anyway, a good, lazy Sunday morning read over your cuppa! What do you home cooks think? Already have all the appliances you need? "TAKE MY MONEY!" *meh*. Anybody from Europe already know about this and have one? What are your opinions?

PS - I just heard of this today from the Quartz article! I haven't even plopped down my money for a Copper Chef pan yet!!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
They outlaw stovetops and crockpots over there in Deutschland?

Can just go pick up a real decent blender and / or crockpot from the thrift store for $5-10.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Those Germans!

I don't think they outlawed stovetops or anything. It is almost "cultish" the devotion to an appliance. The article's author says his Australian friend jokes that if there is a house fire they are saving their Thermomax first!

The article makes a point of saying the youth of today don't know how to cook. So going out and buying thrift store special won't do it for the "utes" of today (you have to say like Joe Pesci,
).

I'm on the fence. I would rather buy a new electric twanger than a new appliance. But it is soooo "shiny and new" that it does have that appeal.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

While I can appreciate the technological innovation aspect the description of the Chicken Pizzaola recipe they were making in the link made me nauseous. I think I would rather go on DB's diet than eat that.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I'm on the fence. I would rather buy a new electric twanger than a new appliance. But it is soooo "shiny and new" that it does have that appeal.

Electric Twanger
the art of inserting one or more surge protectors into a females vaginal orifice stimulating the clitoris and pluging it in therefore zappin the...
www.urbandictionary.com...

I had to look that one up...

edit on 21-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Egads!

No. An electric guitar!! You know, a Les Paul or something!

LMFatAO!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

DB, the poor guy! The "no booze" is the kicker. That is just... inhuman!

The author did a horrible job of selling the joy of cooking! At least it was not, "Lightly dusted in a coating of seven kinds of peppercorns..."

The thing also is a little too small. I tend to make 3.5 gallons of chili at one time and freeze some for later. 2.2L is not enough unless I'm only cooking for myself (which a lot, but I also make industrial size food stuffs for Holidays and what not).

I'm leaning towards one of those XL Copper Chef pans with an induction plate. You get size, a slow cooker, Sous Vide, roasting pan, and a frying pan in the mix. And an extra cooking plate to boot.

Big deal if I have to use knife skills and what not. I need to put my $300 knife to good use!

It is still kind of a neat thing. Maybe if I was back in college and living in the dorm it would be perfect to cook top ramen in! Plus I still don't have a blender...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

That entire post is exactly I how think when it comes to cooking.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I am hoping some Europeans show up and give us 'Mericans some first hand knowledge on this device.

I'm still curious about it. Might be one of those "Dear Santa" items. You know, like buying dad a cordless drill or something!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I am hoping some Europeans show up and give us 'Mericans some first hand knowledge on this device.

I'm still curious about it. Might be one of those "Dear Santa" items. You know, like buying dad a cordless drill or something!

We have had ours for nearly 5 years now...

Im in France.

Its just brill....

Missus uses it all the time but I still stick to the gas stove and oven as well as the BBQ.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I saw the phenomenon in person. Its an amazing machine that American cooks are missing out on.

They are insanely priced though.

I got my wife one when we were in Spain. I had to buy it off a drug addict. LOL

edit on 7 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I managed to get all the 40 recopie books for free if you are interested Tad.

Just U2U me

Warmest

Lags

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
British middle classes love their Aga heat storage cookers:

www.agaliving.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Well, that's an interesting device.. That pricetag is pretty brutal though. I'm really not sure its worth that if it can't fully replace a plethora of tools at comparable quality. $1500 will get some excellent "standard" equipment.

I looked through things for a bit, but can it put a sear on things?

As for knives, ever since I tried out Victorinox Fibrox on a whim.. I've never looked back.
My wusthofs, shuns, etc. did little more than collect dust until I sold 'em. Not having to treat my knife like some precious Ming dynasty artifact is really, really, really nice.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
One of my faves:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
When I saw the price tag, I chuckled. No appliance like that needs to be over a thousand bucks.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Oh, just what we need, some dry, humorless German (is that redundant?) expounding the virtues of some mechanical device they created, 'Ze blades are very, very sharp'.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Hands on user! YAY! Glad to hear from real world users!

Nice to know it is not collecting dust after the novelty wears off. That is an oft used device. That is encouraging to hear!

a reply to: tadaman

Speaking of users... LOL!

a reply to: stormcell

Yet another device! I like the idea: heat from everywhere at once! You also get the same effect with a pressure cooker. At 10% the price ($150) one I am actually considering.

a reply to: Serdgiam

I mainly use a good chef's knife. Think it is Wusthof. I haven't bothered trying to remember. Sharp as h3ll and all I really need. I have some Japanese 17 inch slicer for holiday use (what else are you going to use on a prime rib?). But it is mostly for show (a Samurai sword with a surgical edge!)

a reply to: rickymouse

Price tag is almost a deal breaker. But if the state senate reinstates the other half of our dividend then it would be within striking distance.

Redundant is as redundant does. Mama was really smart like that!

I wish the Danes had this device. I am fond of the Danish people. This seems like something they would dream up. Alas, the Germans are showing us the way.

It was a nice day and I had some errands to run. Then lunch, beers, and more beers. Then sleep in a non-AC apartment (very few Alaskans have AC! It never crosses your mind until it turns upwards of 75 °F like last Friday. I ended up sweltering in place!)

Thanks for all the replies! Should the acquisition bug bite and I am suffering from heat stroke or something, and my status change to "owner" I'll be back!

You've been warned!

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

That electric twanger totally made my day! Twang on!

top topics

join