It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens filmed, laughed while man slowly drowned, authorities say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: putnam6
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Could have still laughed and all, like little #s and still make the absolute minimal effort and call 911 then walked away to maintain their street cred. The absolute opposite of the human chain that help those people in the rip currents at PCB. I mean hell people have routinely made more of an effort for animals i trouble. Yea the story ticks me off listening to it is worse

There is a big difference from North West Florida and South Florida... people on the Gulf Coast will give you the coat off their back, South Florida they strong arm rob you for it.....

Ain't that the truth, I have traveled all over Fl. for years, and yea there are some places were you are locking your doors and have your head on a swivel a little bit. Melbourne though didn't seem so bad after you've been in Miami in the 80's.
edit on 21-7-2017 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

The question is how many people I each area would brave alligator and snake infested water to save a mentally unstable person who might accidentally drown them

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
As I suspected, it looks they *have* found something with which to charge them:

Police in conjunction with the State Attorney’s Office determined that charges of "failure to report a death under Florida Statute 406.12," a misdemeanor, will be pursued, the Cocoa police said in a statement today. Police said the charging document, case report and video evidence are being sent to the State Attorney’s Office for review, and a decision about whether the charges will be prosecuted.

ABC

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The question is how many people I each area would brave alligator and snake infested water to save a mentally unstable person who might accidentally drown them

I've grown up in areas like that so I would... matter of fact I once had to save myself when a gator we took wasn't quite dead a sprang to life while we were all on the dock taking pictures.. in the scurry to run the dock collapsed and us and the gator went in. We all lived and still managed to bag the gator!!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I hope Karma visits these useless little cockroaches and puts them to sleep.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I would have in a heartbeat. If I didn't succeed at least my conscious would be clear with the satisfaction that I at least tried. Maybe spending 5 years as a lifeguard corrupts my reaction a bit but I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The video is infuriating. These pieces of sh** couldn't break character for 5 f'king seconds to at least CALL for help. I didn't expect them to jump in and risk drowning themselves in the current, but come on. Instead of using the phone to call for help, they use it to record their cruelty. The sheer audacity to laugh at someone as they are dying and panicking and yelling for help. That video made my blood boil. I don't even want to think about what form their KARMA is going to take...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I saw something earlier on this but still do not wish to watch the video. I know my hatred will only grow. I agree there should be some sort of charges as their unwillingness to even call for help. That's the least they could do. Very unlikely they will be released to the public because they are minors but if they did they better go into hiding.

I always thought there was some sort of law that you must help in some way. In this instance at least a phone call if one is unable to swim to help.

There is no law requiring a bystander to render assistance to a person in danger, unless you stand in a special relationship to the person, like parent or guardian or caretaker. In fact, if you try to render aid and fail, you can be sued, except in those jurisdictions that have passed "Good Samaritan" laws.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Yea I wouldn't have missed the chance to be a hero..

I doubt I'm smart enough to have a friend film it lol..

That said I am sweating bullets the whole swim.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

I don't think they thought he was for real till the end.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Should have at least tried to do SOMETHING. They didn't made a joke out of it.

This from a Florida Native too.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Kromlech

I don't think they thought he was for real till the end.

They obviously knew there was something wrong with him.

The other thread that was pulled-caught that before so- mentioned something to the effect of Cannabis smoking being the blame. Cannabis is not to blame.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"In the Air Tonight" came to mind.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

The only blame pot might have had was in maybe lowering their willingness to call police..

I bunck of black teens who smell like pot, reporting a drowning.. hell they might even get blamed for it..

I could see a scenario where they are stoned and think the whole thing is funny and he is faking.. so they start hurling insults..

Maybe even worry he is trying to bait them in for whatever reason..

Then the time period from when they really realized he was about to die and when he went under for good was like 2 min tops

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Was able to locate audio, but no video.

Some seriously sick people in this world.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
If you're in distress in FL (especially in the water) you're on your own. People are probably going to rubberneck at you, too. That whole "southern hospitality" spiel Floridians like to spout goes out the window when you actually need some of it in a dire situation. I grew up down there, I've seen people in distress in the water since childhood get ignored. Most of the time, it's because nobody notices them in the first place because we look for an inaccurate stereotype drowning cue. Drowning people don't bob up & down & scream for help, they're barely able to get gasps of air in the first place.
Those that do notice people in trouble are mostly in the "call 911" boat, or the "rubberneck & assume someone else will call 911" boat. A tiny minority are these teenage dimwits, though. They're not common, but they're out there.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Hecate666

As was posted and discussed in the other thread, there is NO duty to rescue in Florida.

What you quoted and linked to is, in fact, the statute involving the motor vehicle division, which generally does not cover the general public involving legal duty to rescue someone is distress.

Florida: 316.062 Duty to give information and render aid.

ETA:

Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions "utterly inhumane and cruel," but says criminal charges won't be filed because state law doesn't require people to help or call 911 when someone's in distress.

"Short of them pushing him in the water, we don't have anything that can hold them accountable on a criminal level,"
CBS

Yeah, there was more to my post in the actual link. I didn't fancy pasting the whole page, you had to click the link yourself, sorry about that.

Had you clicked on the link and read you would have seen that indeed you are wrong. Only what I quoted may fit into what you are claiming but there is more. Please go back and check. It covers civil law as well and it covers a whole lot of countries where duty to rescue is an actual law.
Meaning that in a lot of countries people, normal everyday people do have a duty to rescue if they don't endanger themselves.

I also know that Florida isn't mentioned but a whole lot of other states are and the general law on in the US.

I have done nothing wrong at all, only posted a relevant link. Please click it next time before telling me off.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Not a new thing 100 or so French folk watched my brother drown in a slow moving canal no one helped....and that was 25 years ago.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
We are entering a dark age

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I don't even know why people care about a stupid dumb adult who willingly an voluntarily and against the advice of the teenagers in question entered a deep-ish retention pond knowing he could not swim.

The teenagers had zero responsibility for this mans idiotic actions. He is a Darwin award winner plain and simple. Grow up in Florida and don't learn to swim???

The man had a limp, he was probably recovering from an injury he incurred as a trap star.

Don't blame apathetic stoner teenagers for this man's demise. The timeline would not have allowed him to be saved anyways. The kids had more sense than Mr. Dunn. Perhaps he was committing suicide?? Has anybody even bothered to ask why a man who cannot swim and is being advised against going into the water by witnesses does so anyways??

Basically he was either an idiot or suicidal. In neither case does he receive sympathy from me.

If you ever need help I'm thinking you're going to be left to fend for yourself because nobody will want to help you with that attitude.

Myself included.

You better wrap yourself in bubblewrap mate.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join