It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens filmed, laughed while man slowly drowned, authorities say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

so you are also not going to inquire why a grown adult man voluntarily and of his own accord and against the warnings of witnesses goes into deep water not knowing how to swim??

Your saying that minor children should jump to the rescue of a suicidal man, and risk their ow demise as well?? Clearly the smartest people so far are the witnesses.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket
True but they were not required to jump in and save him, just call for help ( they had a phone) and not make his last moments worse having to suffer more being mocked and knowing no help would come

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It should be noted that in the removed thread it was determined that there is no law in Florida that requires you to call 911 or save this person and it appeared that previous to entering the lake he was distraught, as reported by family/friends, and may have been committing suicide.

That doesn't excuse the morons from filming and taunting him however.

edit on 21-7-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Being an Idiot as you call him or mentally challenged as may be the case is NOT a crime but not caring about those in need is a moral crime if not a legal crime, I accept that you have pointed out that these kid's told him not to go in and that is good but they stopped short of any form of humanity when they simply let him die without even trying to get help for him - even if they could not themselves, as teenagers they are young adult's and should have at least some semblance of the concept of responsibility.

Maybe we are feeling harsh toward them and they WILL have to live with there lack of action for the rest of there live's BUT they could have done something and did not.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: LABTECH767

so you are also not going to inquire why a grown adult man voluntarily and of his own accord and against the warnings of witnesses goes into deep water not knowing how to swim??

Your saying that minor children should jump to the rescue of a suicidal man, and risk their ow demise as well?? Clearly the smartest people so far are the witnesses.

Sorry this actually sum's up your attitude which I have to tell you is not Correct.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

a reply to: violet

So you won't ask why a grown adult man with a criminal record who is probably known to the community decides to enter deep water not knowing how to swim, against the advice of the minors everyone is asking to be charge with murder?

In fact, they did all they needed to do to help the man making his own free will voluntary choices. They warned him not to go in the pond.

If these minor's committed a crime in Florida, then perhaps somebody should outline which one, because as it sits, both the police and state attorney's office have confirmed they are guilty of no crime.

The drowning victim is unfortunately guilty of being an idiot.

I did not say the kids should be charged with murder. I meant some charges should be there.

I don't give a rats ass if he had a criminal record. It's irrelevant.

I don't know the whole story of how he was told not to go into the pond. Wasn't in the article, where did you find that? It's still irrelevant.

I know plenty of adults who can't swim and yes that might seem odd to those of us who can, but it's just a fact.

I think the way they mocked him was terrible and you more or less did the same in your first post. Where is your compassion for others? Where was theirs?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Being an Idiot as you call him or mentally challenged as may be the case is NOT a crime but not caring about those in need is a moral crime if not a legal crime, I accept that you have pointed out that these kid's told him not to go in and that is good but they stopped short of any form of humanity when they simply let him die without even trying to get help for him - even if they could not themselves, as teenagers they are young adult's and should have at least some semblance of the concept of responsibility.

Maybe we are feeling harsh toward them and they WILL have to live with there lack of action for the rest of there live's BUT they could have done something and did not.

This is more of a societal problem, than a problem with these individuals.

I was brought up to believe that I should always come to the aid of someone in distress, even if it meant that it might put me in peril too (no different, really, than the training that first responders, police, soldiers, doctors and others receive). I cannot even imagine thinking or behaving in the way these young men did - and I think the blame lies squarely with whatever upbringing they have had, and who provided it (or didn't).

I would imagine, for example, if these kids had been brought up in a structured, loving environment...or, say, had attended a military school of some kind, and learned values involving service and self-sacrifice, these exact same people would have reacted completely differently.

Nature versus nurture? I blame this on nurture.
edit on 21-7-2017 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

As was posted and discussed in the other thread, there is NO duty to rescue in Florida.

What you quoted and linked to is, in fact, the statute involving the motor vehicle division, which generally does not cover the general public involving legal duty to rescue someone is distress.

Florida: 316.062 Duty to give information and render aid.

ETA:

Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions "utterly inhumane and cruel," but says criminal charges won't be filed because state law doesn't require people to help or call 911 when someone's in distress.

"Short of them pushing him in the water, we don't have anything that can hold them accountable on a criminal level,"
CBS
edit on 21-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Correct:

Police say that on the morning he drowned, Dunn had gotten into a "verbal altercation" with his mother and "possibly his fiancé," during which he told his fiancé to "leave the house," Martinez said.
"(His fiancé) left the home at about 12:40 p.m. Based on the video, he went into the water at about 12:50 p.m. and then drowned.
CNN

Police said that Dunn walked into the pond by himself, WKMG-TV reports. Police aren't sure if he was suicidal but said he just had an argument with his fiancee.
CBS
edit on 21-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It's their parents we all should be pissed off at. Children learn what they live, that is a damn fact. If my child did that, if under age I would turn them over to the state. If of age, they would be hitting the road via the shoe leather express, cause I would throw them out on their arse's.
edit on 21-7-2017 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
When I think retention pond I envision the big long drainage ponds found around the cities, which are typically adjacent to roadways, and are interfaced with the storm sewer system. Half the year they're typically found dry. Some not. This time of year they be full though. Full of water you dont want to be inside of or drinking or anywhere near cuts or orifices. You'd have to be half brain dead or death wished to as an adult want to go play in that water.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yea those kids would be heros for saving him.. and maybe a little stupid for risking him drowning one of them in the process.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Now don't get me wrong their commentary was reprehensible...

But if you put your self in that situation good luck ending with a better outcome

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Don't blame apathetic stoner teenagers for this man's demise.

Their voices sound more like your typical hood rat to me. Ah well ...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yea those kids would be heros for saving him.. and maybe a little stupid for risking him drowning one of them in the process.

One of them mentioned the possibility of an allgiator in the pond.

edit on 7/21/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Could have still laughed and all, like little #s and still make the absolute minimal effort and call 911 then walked away to maintain their street cred. The absolute opposite of the human chain that help those people in the rip currents at PCB. I mean hell people have routinely made more of an effort for animals i trouble. Yea the story ticks me off listening to it is worse

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
They are definitely garbage for their commentary..

That said I don't think the end result changes unless there was a daredevil lifeguard on the scene..a reply to: putnam6

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Could have still laughed and all, like little #s and still make the absolute minimal effort and call 911 then walked away to maintain their street cred. The absolute opposite of the human chain that help those people in the rip currents at PCB. I mean hell people have routinely made more of an effort for animals i trouble. Yea the story ticks me off listening to it is worse

There is a big difference from North West Florida and South Florida... people on the Gulf Coast will give you the coat off their back, South Florida they strong arm rob you for it.....

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I guess Brevard County doesn't have a Good Samaritan law. Or is that only a Seinfeld episode?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
They are definitely garbage for their commentary..

That said I don't think the end result changes unless there was a daredevil lifeguard on the scene..a reply to: putnam6

Probably not, but then we will never know for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join