It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps Mar-a-Lago To Hire Foreign Staff Because America's Not Qualified

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Nope, the "He's not MY president" crowd has never run a business

For the record, you'd be wrong on this point.

They have no clue as to how to balance a business budget or plan for a workforce that will support the business.

And also on this one.

I do look at business financials and when I see CEOs and owners paid absurdly high salaries from their high profit margin... and workers that struggle to make ends meet (Wal-Mart, for instance) I do speak out against it. When I see a business that's sued by hundreds of contractors, it says that either it's being helmed by someone who feels their own wealth is more important than the business or someone who can't learn to pick good and reliable people.

Like many, I've had contractors and I've had workers. I paid in proportion to my business' profits (and when we had a good year, everybody got something.

Yes, I'm critical of his business practices. I can find Americans to work for me and do quality work, as can others. If salary and conditions are good enough, there's no reason to import labor.

Now... on the flip side... with education available to us, few of us want a career path as janitor or maid or housekeeping, etc. These aren't very rewarding careers (financially or emotionally) ... they tend to be the jobs that the under-educated and desperate take -OR- (best case scenario) are contracted with housing units that care for adults who are mentally disabled. A very long time ago, one of the schools for the mentally disabled in Austin had cleaning teams that they would contract to homes and businesses. A supervisor would bring them out, monitor as they cleaned, and make sure that things were done to satisfaction. They had the emotional satisfaction of having something useful to do that they didn't mind doing (they had an option to NOT work) and we had low-end labor services to help with housekeeping.

It was a win-win.

I see no "wins" in the OP's articles... unless it's the already wealthy owners getting more wealthy and turning away Americans who need the jobs and applied for them.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd
So you have run businesses in the hospitality sector? Successfully? And hired only US citizens as workers?

I'm impressed if your answer to those three questions is "Yes." You have, in the past 10 years had to go through those US citizens' resumes and have found the perfect team to offer hospitality? Lucky indeed!

Of course, the low-wage jobs aren't career paths in and of that particular job. However, someone who shows initiative and ability can use that low-wage job to advance.

In the days when you and I were in college, tons of those jobs were held by college students. Now the majority of US college students consider it beneath them to be "servers" in any capacity. They somehow think that they shouldn't have to make their way through the rungs of the ladder but should immediately fly to the top.

This was recently brought to my attention in quite an explosive manner. A friend of ours owns a restaurant/bar adjacent to our university campus. Another friend is the manager. (This manager began as a server in college and has now worked her way into management due to her ability to manage people and business interests.) The business has a patio setting for smokers. Non-smoking employees are not required to serve on the patio. Recently we were enjoying an evening with friends just after a rain shower had passed. We were shown to our seats. Before being seated, the waiter noticed that the rain had left the seats wet. He immediately asked us to hold on while he grabbed a towel and wiped down the seats. We thanked him.

Another couple entered and was shown to a table. The waitress didn't bother to check the seats, just pointed them at the table and left. When she returned they were still standing. They asked her, very politely if a towel could be found to wipe the seats. Her response was to screech---literally yell---"Do you think I'm your servant?"

On their way out of the bar, the couple related the incident to the manager who immediately came to ask us what had happened. Upon hearing that our version of the story matched the insulted couple's version the manager confronted the employee. Her response was something along the lines of, "I shouldn't have to wipe off nasty seats where people's dirty asses have been." She is now looking for a job....I just hope it doesn't involve offering any "service" to the general public. The manager tells me that most of the interviewees have no clue as to how to actually offer hospitality.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Wasn't this brought up during campaign. Hires them for the busy season and when it gets slow ships or makes them swim back home.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

It makes perfect sense from a certain point of view. Hiring someone like you suggest to clean or whatever would be burdensome.

They wouldn't want work 2nd or 3rd shift, they would think they deserve $60.00/hour, six weeks vacation and full medical at the get go. After a month or so they would want to be in or start a union because you didn't meet their expectations.

If they cut their finger on broken plate or glass instead of slapping a band-aid on it they want an ambulance to go to ER, time off to recover from their horrid ordeal and then shop lawyers to try and get a cash settlement.

A lot of potential entry level employees think they are more valuable than they are. Throw in the 'tude that they are doing you a favor interviewing with you.

Thats not to say that there are not a lot a good folks looking for work but it takes a little while winnowing the good ones.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
They wouldn't want work 2nd or 3rd shift, they would think they deserve $60.00/hour, six weeks vacation and full medical at the get go. After a month or so they would want to be in or start a union because you didn't meet their expectations.
If they cut their finger on broken plate or glass instead of slapping a band-aid on it they want an ambulance to go to ER, time off to recover from their horrid ordeal and then shop lawyers to try and get a cash settlement.

I'm sure that you can cite examples for the circumstances you've cited. We all know what a waste of breath hyperbole is, eh?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
Talk to business owners who are trying to hire. You'll get an ear full. Incompetence and entitlement attitudes are rampant!

A relative of mine manages a local laundromat. She has been attempting to find a general clean-up person for the business. Just general clean-up of the public areas. Pay is $10/hr. and hours are flexible to some extent, but about 4 hours a day. Sweeping up, mopping up spills, making sure the area is kept relatively clean and safe. It's the job she did when she began working for the company as a teen in high school. Not rocket science. She's been through more than half a dozen people in the past three months. Things like stealing customer's clothes or not showing up for work and not bothering to communicate just don't make for a good business environment, something most people under 30 don't comprehend apparently. Sticking to a work schedule is TOOOOOO HARD.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Talk to business owners who are trying to hire. You'll get an ear full. Incompetence and entitlement attitudes are rampant!

Merely calling out the opinions masquerading as facts...which adds little to the discourse.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Speaking with people who actually have the experience we are discussing won't add to the discourse? WOW! So you just want facts recited. The fact is that most US citizens under the age of 40 don't have much of a work ethic. Calling in to let your employer know you can't be at work is just too hard. Actually performing the tasks which your job encompasses is just too hard.

And they don't understand why the interview is terminated when they pull out their phone in the midst of it and begin texting friends.....they just don't understand....

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Since making this thread, I can't get that "Kokomo" song out of my head...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

A lot of potential entry level employees think they are more valuable than they are. Throw in the 'tude that they are doing you a favor interviewing with you.

Thats not to say that there are not a lot a good folks looking for work but it takes a little while winnowing the good ones.

I did carpet cleaning and janitorial work while going through college, my boss gave me several raises as well, I am also white, so the "Americans will not do these jobs is complete BS.

Secondly, how do you place value on employees, should that not be left up to market mechanics?
Consumers do not like a cheap piece of crap, they have the option to spend more money and buy a higher quality item

Why do employers feel they are so special where they can circumvent the mechanisms of the market and run off the Washington DC and hire labors from countries that do not have any rights as we have under Capitalism?

You do know I hope, that under Communism, workers have no rights, and in third world countries full of corruption, people will do anything to better their situation?

About 90% of the problems in this country does not come from the poor or middle class, it comes from the wealthy that think they are entitled to more and more wealth and then purchase politicians when they are not making enough

I have really had it with this mentality

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I'm sure that you can cite examples for the circumstances you've cited. We all know what a waste of breath hyperbole is, eh?

I can think of one right off the top. An acquaintance always complained he couldn't find a good job. Multiple times he was set up with interviews with different HR departments. He kept turning down jobs and continued mooching off of friends because he said the jobs were beneath him.

I don't mind helping someone who wants to work but it's hard to find someone who's not allergic to sweat.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Speaking with people who actually have the experience we are discussing won't add to the discourse? WOW! So you just want facts recited.

So "they would think they deserve $60.00/hour, six weeks vacation and full medical at the get go." are facts? I guess I should get out more.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

So you have run businesses in the hospitality sector? Successfully? And hired only US citizens as workers?

No, but your initial statement didn't say "hospitality sector", if you'll recall.

There''ve always been horrible people in the service sector - slacker workers (I've worked with them) and good workers. And I'm not sure that the current generation is any more "entitled" than other generations. Very few people who had other options dreamed of becoming waiters as a career.

At one time these were terminal careers for people who had no other options - minorities, for example - and probably the only "decent job" available. Now it's a disposable job with no cachet; something that people take when there's no other choice; jobs done by new immigrants because nobody else wants them.

I haven't noticed people here saying that they want these jobs (though many have had them as a 'path on the way to somewhere else' job.)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Of course they are pathway jobs. There are tons of seasonal jobs in the hospitality sector and they're at the low end of the wage spectrum. Both of my stepsons worked those jobs at marinas/resorts when they were in high school. Now those managers say they can't find high school kids who will show up and work.

This is the most common complaint I hear from business people in all sectors. My family members who have businesses, friends from civic organizations voice the same problems with their efforts to hire people. The same disregard for conscientious attendance to duties has even crept into some volunteer organizations since the local university began requiring them to "volunteer" in community service for a set number of hours during their tenure at the U. Not being able to depend on those "volunteers" to show up and work puts a big kink in the operation of charity services. It's not just the business sector that is being affected by this entitled attitude.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Rand Paul explains

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj

They are hiring 15 housekeepers, 20 cooks and 35 waiters on H-2B visas which can be granted if not enough American workers willing to do the job.

(etc)

These will all "become Americans", so what's the problem?

It's sill Americans that will be doing the jobs. Just Future Americans, instead of Present Americans.

Still, all Americans.

Path to American citizenship is though these very legal doors.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

I wonder what he pays. Maybe Trump doesn't want to pay decent wages? Although aside from the chefs, and their helpers, hotel staff arent generally high paid positions.

He doesn't pay the kitchen staff what they're worth. My best friend's sister worked at Mar-a-Lago for several years, as a sous chef, and was paid minimum wage. A sous chef should be getting at least double minimum wage, my husband was one in a far cheaper place on the Gulf coast for years and was paid far better for the same work.

The irony is, she had degrees in culinary arts to do just about anything in a kitchen from the fancy-ass dinners, to the fancy-ass desserts, She had the creds, they just didn't pay according to creds. Even the head chef is underpaid for their work.
edit on 7/23/2017 by Nyiah because: Fixed typo. Dessert, not desert!

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Legally, employers are not required to pay more than minimum salary. If she didn't like it, she could always find another job.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
Trump's Mar-a-Lago has requested with the Department of Labor to hire 70 foreign workers right in the middle of the "Made In America" week.

They are hiring 15 housekeepers, 20 cooks and 35 waiters on H-2B visas which can be granted if not enough American workers willing to do the job.

They state that they are unable to find qualified American waiters, cooks and housekeepers.

Even 'middle-of-the-road' news agencies are noting trumps speeches don't match his business practices.

CBS News
The president made jobs for Americans a central component of his campaign, and of his work in office. "We believe jobs must be offered to American workers first," Mr. Trump said in an April speech.

But the president's speeches don't always match his business practices. Many Trump-branded products are manufactured oversees. Trump eyeglasses are made in China, as are items from the Trump Home Collection, for instance. Trump-branded items were noticeably absent from a "Made in America" event featuring American-made products earlier this week.

Ivanka Trump, Mr. Trump's daughter and assistant to the president, has also been criticized for her company's use of foreign workers. Many of her products are manufactured abroad, mostly in China.

What do you think? Do you think there are qualified American cooks?

I was a waiter at a Ritz Carlton restaurant in my 20's (and a few other fine dinning places); you couldn't get any more "upper-crust" than that. I worked with a bunch of other waiters. I'm pretty sure every one of them would say they are more than qualified.

I'm pretty sure there's more than a few Americans that could clean a hotel room - and could use the job.

Trump's actions doesn't seem "Pro-America" to me.

Trump lied to you on every front (rare even for a politition).

It's time to wake up and start the healing process.

CNN
MSNBC
The Hill
NY Daily News
(etc)

Yeah, the average American IS NOT qualified to do slave labor.

The truth is they want people who will work overtime for nothing...Do chores outside of their prescribed work, and all that usually means workers outside of the American experience.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: Nyiah

Legally, employers are not required to pay more than minimum salary. If she didn't like it, she could always find another job.

She did. The CoL over there drove that. She wasn't getting paid enough to afford to stay there.

Just remember the phrase "you get what you pay for". Pay your cooks below everyone else comparable in quality, they'll eventually walk out. Especially in the swanky places, sometimes the privilege of having a swanky place on your resume isn't worth it.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join