It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should non-organ Donors be Given Organs??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
From experience as a donor family the last thing on your mind is worrying about if the donor recipients agreed to donation themselves, especially if they are sick and dying probably cannot donate any of their own organs under treatment. There really isn't time for that as it is. People have their own choices(from health issues to personal views and for some even fears) if they are going to donate or not, that should not play a part in the process if they can receive a donation or not.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yea im in the states and i dont know if its true or not ... id like to think no but it shure as hell made me think

And in the states they know its on ur id card if u are or not

Im not exactly knolaged in the subject but id assume in places with free health care it dosent work the same seeing as there wouldent be a pricetag on the organs like there is in the usa

I live in a country that have "free health car" (it's not free, it's paid by taxes to the government). Every thing has a price, even organs, in the so called "free health care" countries and every other countries as well. The price for the care, handling and surgeries are not cheaper here, then it is in other countries.

If you are interested, then you can look up the Scandinavian health system.

As for the OP, I do not agree. What if, just an example, a kidney is being donated and the donors on the list are not compatible, then the organ goes to waste since it can't be used. You don't want non-donors getting a transplant, so the organ will go in the trash. As opposed to saving a life.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Not everyone can afford to donate. Anyone can donate organs.... bad logic

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I just want to clear up a couple of things.

Firstly I am in no way saying that people who are unable to donate organs for health reasons should not be given a donor organ.

I also acknowledge that the clinical need for a organ should come before all else, including who is and is not a organ donor.

I understand that for some who they donate a organ to should not be dependent on anything other than need but when there is a supply and demand issue many factors have to be included in deciding who gets a organ.

All I am asking is that if when it comes down to it, its between a organ donor and a non-donor needing a transplant, should the guy who has been a life long donor not then take priority.

I think this is just a interesting ethical question, thats all, I am not saying that there is any right or wrong, I just wanted to clear a few things up because there seem to be a few people who I think might be getting the wrong idea.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

i view it [ organ donation and receipt ] as :

"one of the benefits of a civilised society "

if you are unprepared to give - why should you be permitted to take ?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
organ donation is an altruistic act.
Putting a price on receiving an organ, whether it be how much money you pay to the hospital or whether you are a registered donor goes against such altruism.

So no, I don't think only donors should receive organs. In every case the organs should go to the person who will benefit most from it. There is no point giving an organ to someone who's system will reject it, after all.

Clinical reasons, nothing else should be the determining factor.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

With you there Intrepid.
Saw my Stepdaughter come out of a Kidney Transplant yesterday.
Any kind of Transplant requirement puts your
Life on hold.
Nipper doing really well . 6 weeks in isolation but hopefully the daily dialysis and 24x7 on call are behind us.
Best of luck my Friend, and from experience that phonecall comes when you least expect it so hang on in there.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
and while i is here :

its also my opinion that organ dontation should be :

" active opt out "

there is too much faff with organ doner cards and the consent of NOK

people should have to sign a form speciffically withdrawing consent to use thier organs after death - obviously parents would have to sign the form on behalf of thier children ]

but make it part of the birth registration process - that the parents have to tick and sign a seperate " no organ donation " chit before they get a birth certificate

and again at age 18 - voter registration // drivers licences // passports should all have a " if you dont opt out - we get your organs once your dead " section

and unless theres an opt-out on record - you get carved up

simples

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I know it is altruistic but the fact is there is a supply and demand problem.

If you a donor its not up to you who gets your bits when you die for the most part.

I am asking if when the decision is being made if being on the organ donor register should be a consideration.

If you are a donor and you need a new heart and your neighbour who is the same age as you and has the same clinical need as you, should you not get the organ over him because you have demonstrated that you are willing to donate and he has not.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Bless you for what you did.
My Stepdaughter received a Kidney yesterday.
I met some friends last night to update them and with a tear in my eye I requested they raise their glass and think of the Donor's Family.
After years of being on the list it would be easy to lose sight of how the Organ became available.
I would love to hug their entire Family.
We will send a message via the Transplant team in the coming weeks but for now they need time to grieve.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: SprocketUK

I know it is altruistic but the fact is there is a supply and demand problem.

If you a donor its not up to you who gets your bits when you die for the most part.

I am asking if when the decision is being made if being on the organ donor register should be a consideration.

If you are a donor and you need a new heart and your neighbour who is the same age as you and has the same clinical need as you, should you not get the organ over him because you have demonstrated that you are willing to donate and he has not.

Trouble is, you either go for universal healthcare, or you do not.

Your arguments about donors, could equally be used to deny smokers, drinkers, drug users treatment. Then people who run too much or get injured playing rugby, or choose to ride a motorcycle rather than a safer car with airbags everywhere.

A large number of donated organs just go to waste sauce

So rather than add another layer of restrictions on who can receive treatment, lets just use what we have more carefully, eh?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

How so?

Say you sustain lethal injury or die far from medical help or there are no doctors able to harvest you organs?

Remember time and storage is a factor in such a process. Or there are a multitude of other reason that could prohibit donation.

Also whats cost got to do with it, or do you mean the biological price rather than monetary value of organs?

We don't pay for Organs in this nation(In the same way) down to our national health service and insurance. Think you can sell organs but that's nothing to do with our national health service and im not sure as to the legality of the act nether.

What about people who cannot donate down to religious reasons, should they be refused transplant?

The logic is self evident really, everyone should receive organ donation if required and available!
edit on 21-7-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I second that.
Until Nipper had Renal Failure I was dubious about donation.
More than happy for anything to be harvested from me now.
Its the least anyone can do.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What about people who cannot donate down to religious reasons, should they be refused transplant?

what about them ?

to aid discussion - lets have a list of cults thjat :

refuse to donate organs from the dead AND accept transplants of organs to the living

you raise an excelent point - thats got me thinking - but i is engrossed in a project for the weekend

but it just seems " off " to me that any cultist would refuse to violate the sanctity of his own corpse - but be happy to have others corpses hacked up so he can recieve thier organs

but cultists are not noted for consistency - so anythings possible

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

My thinking was that cultists, Opus Dei, Jehovah's Witness or whomever else that may have a problem with donation or being a recipient of an Organ might just change there minds and accept a transplant if and when presented with there own oblivion or painful demise. Or even choose to donate an organ to another possible recipient should the need arise putting aside there religious bias thus prevent another from experiencing a painful death. But that would be in a perfect world.

Anything is possible and the moralities involved while interesting to ponder should really be nether here nor there. Picking and choosing who we save, or who we choose to die down to anything other than organ compatibility kind of negates the spirit in which doctors and physicians should operate, at least here in the United Kingdom.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Due to two rare autoimmune disorders that can be transmitted by donation i now can not donate blood or organs;

But i still have given the VA the permission to take organs for research into the autoimmune disorders i have to help find treatments for these disorders.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I was hassled by Jehovah's Witnesses earlier.
Funny when I said my Stepdaughter just received a Kidney they were less inclined to talk to me.
A shame really as I was up for a debate.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
but if bill and bob were both doners and both needed a heart whos gets took? without people who dont donate there would be no need for donations because everyone would be constantly swapping organs no?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonymous1legion
but if bill and bob were both doners and both needed a heart whos gets took? without people who dont donate there would be no need for donations because everyone would be constantly swapping organs no?

and if they are both doners then they have a organ donation then its pointless being a doner in the first place if doners are priority for transplants, by the time they died of "natural" causes their organs would be knackered

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Crazy people, i feel for the there kids. There are a couple at school with my daughter(Primary 7) and the poor wee souls don't even get any Christmas presents or sweets.

The other weans take the piss out of them, it's quite shameful really. And i know its just material things the are not getting but children can be quite evil regarding anything different or strange.

They don't even really try to stand up or themselves and try and educate the other kids that are bullying them as to the error of there ways.

You can imagine how that turns out for the poor wee fellows.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join