It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hmmm.. A question to NON-American's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
fact: America is THE WORLD SUPERPOWER.

like it or not, every non-US country in the world pays attention to us. Decisions made in America effect the rest of the world - even domestic decisions. and when less than 50% of eligable voters actually show, it says a lot about what the average American really stands for. this is like preaching to the choir, because i know ATS is hardly the average american.

since you specifically called out people not living in the US i think im qualified to answer. i am an american, but ive lived most of my life in germany. germany is my home, but i still pledge allegiance to the USA.. i dont mean to put myself on any sort of pedastal, but i think my situation is very unique. i do not have much in common with americans at all, except the small percentage of individuals that have attended DoDDS schools.

come 9/11 and everyone - i mean everyone was sympathetic to the USA here in Germany. when bush launched his "war on terrror" i found myself digesting what it was i really stood for. it was hard defending americas actions when speaking with europeans because i didnt understand them myself. throughout the years, my position has changed drastically but i am still patriotic to America.

if i could be the ambassador to Americans on why we are so disliked, the reasons would basically boil down to this:

Blatant Apathetic Ignorance.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
hi i'm from india and i dont know about the rest of the world but i'm not the guy buying the american standards of morality.when i look at cnn i see a nation paranoid of the world.whether iraq or recently iran it hasn't shown any viable reason to take the actions it took or might take.
the only reason i hear from white house press briefings and any of mr.bush's cabinet is nukes.well sir,don't get me wrong but wht right does the nation which has the largest nuclear weapons in the world have when it talks about other countries nuclear arsenals?no one should have nukes not india not united states and yea.not iran either.but what right does the white house and the president of america have to disarm them.if the US president has any rights on any country's weapons arsenals it would be the US militay arsenals.why don't he disarm it first?
no country in the world has the right to decide which goverment stays or which government goes.now more than what i think,i want to know what does the CIA or the oval office and the american people in general thinkabout that.frankly and bluntly,if you think you rule the world then i have no hesitation to say that i really got a problem with united states of america.
as far as what i like in america,i should say that the kind of freedom u guys have is really great.esp.regarding gay and lesbian rights and i really wish india will grow into a mature country regarding this.sure of course your freedom of expression.but not the freedom to poke your nose into other peoples businesses(even islamic countries).i'm sure i will like you guys more if you stop trying to 'advise' india about anything and yea,i dont care if you stop outsourcing.
that's all from a voice from the other side of the world.yea i know i'm getting a few angry replies but please let it be a constructive debate.if i'm wrong i'm sorry.no hard feelings.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by creamsoda
What do you think about us?

Ignorant, money hungry and self serving...just my honuest opinion.

Do you think we are spoiled?

Yup

Definately...

Products, they dont exist.
Freedoms, they exist but you have some weird ones like.
You can buy a gun but cant drink??
Politics, Needs more parties you cant have just 2 sides...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Still in North America, but here's my two cents.

For the most part, the US is pretty cool. But, every time I go there, when I leave I'm thinking 'nice country, but man I wouldn't want to live there'.

My biggest problems with the States is the arrogant disregard of anyone who is not American, the enormous disconnect between reality and the media coverage in the States and the inability to objectively look at facts (ie: everything in the States is 'spun'). In other words, you seem to have been overrun with navel-gazers.

I equate your media to that of the Soviet Union. The only difference is that Russians know they're being lied to. It seems like you honestly don't think that your government lies just as much as everyone else's. Sometimes I think America=Naive.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Die Trying
Hello from AUSTRALIA!

I like you Americans. As a whole you guys and gals are really nice people, willing to help some one in need. Great music,movies,people comes from the US, although I'm getting a bit sick of all these CSI Las vegas, Miami, New york PLEASE! Soon there will be Vice City!
When you guys get your cricket team to the level as our international team then the rivalry will be AWESOME!
You guys and gals keep your head up, there alot of people who like ripping into you guys... listen, and comment if they are having a civil conversation.. if not press the red button.

ALSO why did you guys have that war that broke you away from the English Empire? Did'nt you like cricket? Could you imagine what the world would be like now? We would have taken over the world be now!! LOL just kiddin.. we can wait.

This is EXACTLY the response I wanted from somebody. Were all human and we all have likes and dislikes. I live in America and there are things I like about this country and there are somethings I dont like this country. I'm not trying to defend my right to talk freely about this. Im just asking for your opinions on this. Die Trying said he likes us. But he told us some dislikes too. The Todd, I wasnt trying to put force against your topic, I just wanted to start a thread of my own for NON-Americans to post their opinions about our country.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

What do you think about us?

Ignorant, money hungry and self serving...just my honuest opinion.

Do you think we are spoiled?

Yup

Definately...

Products, they dont exist.
Freedoms, they exist but you have some weird ones like.
You can buy a gun but cant drink??
Politics, Needs more parties you cant have just 2 sides...

Good response.. Your're right about the products.. Im sorry my fellow Americans, but some of our products suck LOL.. Just being honest. One thing I dont like about this country is yes in deed, the money situation and how we are finding ways to make things much cheaper. I hate that with a passion. Thanks for your opinion

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
My only real concern is the religious right of America turning the end of time prohecy into a self-forfilling prophecy that is a result of actions taken because the belief that ending life on this earth will be benifical for everyone who is not a sinner. I don't really mind if such a thing happens as long as Jesus isn't clensing the earth of sinners in the form of nuclear bombs. If God/Jesus wishes to kill people please let him do it with his own power.

As one who is American and has lived in America all my life I can tell you as a fact that that is not going on.

Where did you hear that?

dh

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Reply from UK

Americans are lovely people
Americans are great
They consist of the good and bad like everywhere else
Americans are being crushed
Their representation worldwide is being aborted
Americans have the most wealth and power
They are being used to perpetrate war, atrocity, genocide
The American people are being used, abused, made fools of
Americans need to wake up and dismantle their fake unelected government and their fake legal and financial processes
Many are trying
There's nothing wrong with Americans any more or less than any other Nation or Ethnic grouping in the world
They are just at the forefront of manipulation and themselves the number one target after the Muslims

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebastiaan
I have a few questions: There was a time that i really liked america. When i was young i rushed from the shower to the television to watch A-team, Knight Rider, Star Trek, etc...
I thought i was the land of infinite posibilities. But now i have a feeling that the US is trying to force it's views on the rest of the world. By means of war (some aspects of it i support, but i think that 'they' have a different agenda then that they want us to see...), by means of telling the rest of the world what to do and pulling it self from important issues (like the kiyoto agrement [spelling?]) I still think its one of the best countries out there, but i see some flaws in respect to the rest of the world.....

Sebastiaan

I don't think it's fair for you or anyone to base his/her views of the US on one particular president's policies.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by Karellen]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
As alittle girl i've always wanted to live in America, namely hawaii...

me and my best friend used to talk about being lawers and living ina big mansion she'd get the left wing i'd get the right and we'd play lot's of tennis on our off time...

Obviously that dream went away but living in the us never did, mainly because there is so much opportunity and it's your choice to waste it or not, and the scenery is so beautiful... Many different beauties, you can enjoy summer in the winter by going south or winter in the summer....

Now that i'm here I find many American's pleasantly friendly, helpful, and easy going... If you go to Detroit you won't find that...

The American people are diverse like MA said, you can't judge all by judging one or a few, and politics doesn't make up a country...

Quit listening to your news unless your going to ask questions during that hour.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ok, the problem is simple:

Americans in general consume too much, and polute too much. that must end.
Or all the world will suffer.

About Bush... well, he is using your faith to manipulate you.

Here in Portugal we had a dictatorship for 50 years...by tath time, the regime had an interesting phrase: dêm-lhes fátima, futebol e fado...

this means : give them fatima ( religion) futebol (soccer) and fado ( fado is a portuguese tipical musical style usualy about sadness or tragedy...)

this equation hasn´t changed...it still all about religion and entertainment.

I´m not religious, but you have to agree that religion still a very effective way to controll the masses, and curiously I´m not a great soccer fan, if I was, probably I wouldn´t be here typing this post...thinking...

You have to try to teach you fellow americans, the ones tath support bush, tath a good politician doesn´t need to make an almoast religious speech only to proove his ideas.

if he does tath, he is not a politician, he his a candidate to be the Pope !

Your constitution is beautifull please, don´t let him distroy it.

regards

fred

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hey!

I saw another American living outside the states and I thought I'd put my two cents in. I live in Sri Lanka, and over here, people are generally positive about the US (the sight of US Navy Seahawks delivering supplies and the thousand marines who came over here to help out after the tsunamis certainly helped that). Most Sri Lankan's despise the Bush Administration, or support it to a frightening degree.

But for me personally, living outside the US and making visitations every year has been an enlightening experience. I've travelled to Europe and parts of asia (and the middle east, if you count insanely long airport stays
. About the American people, the bad stuff first: While people who say americans are all stupid are generalizing, I ahve to agree that we are an incredibly inward looking people. And why the hell not? Life in the US is a far sight better than in most of the world - believe me I know. Why bother with the rest of it, right? Well, guess what? That attitude has to end. Like it or not, we have a responsibility to the world, being its only superpower. That was what someone in England said to me when I was there two months ago. He had a weird position where he thought that the US government was behaving in a way that was moral (by invading Iraq) and that the American people had not grasped their global responsibilities as quickly as teir government (by the fact that most of them can't locate Irq on a map).

That's a weird position to take, isn't it? Weird, as in, unusual, rather than twisted. But that's the way it is...even some who support our foreign policy are disdained that we live in a high-tech, prosperous bubble and rarely look over the fence. Obviously, living in tiny Sri Lanka is bound to be more of an extroverted experience than living in a country huge enough to make it a big deal to travel to the opposite side of it. But we stil have a responsibility to make informed decisions in forming our national opinion on the policy decisions of our government (and I say this taking no side i nthe Iraq war debate). If we confirm our support for the government that sent out our soldiers to fight and die in distant parts of the globe, we have an equal responsibility to learn more about that world.

That said, the US remains the best country in the world for me personally. I find it pretty similar to the UK in a lot of ways. The people are a lot more open though (sometimes to a fault) - but I guess that countries are suited for various personalities. That and the physical environment and weather and stuff is a lot more inviting.

As for US politics, I think that we beat the crap out of most of the world...not that that's saying much. This is not american arrogance speaking here, this is simply my experience living in a country where the president used its worst ever natural catastrophe to postpone elections for the next decade. The American government I think is big on vision...(FINALLY), and unlike most poeple in my situation, living outside the US has actually strenghthened my support for the current aministration.. But to translate that noble visoin into reality will require a lot more hard work on the part of all our citizens.

Overally, I agree with most of the posts so far on what that work entails (as well as most of the other sentiments expressed - EXCEPT for the one on cricket...I've been living in a commonwealth nation for a while now, and I still can't understand the bloody game...frankly, I think the Brits exported it abroad to keep their colonies obsessed about a complicated game all day rather than plot independence!

Cheers,
Archangel

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

My only real concern is the religious right of America turning the end of time prohecy into a self-forfilling prophecy that is a result of actions taken because the belief that ending life on this earth will be benifical for everyone who is not a sinner. I don't really mind if such a thing happens as long as Jesus isn't clensing the earth of sinners in the form of nuclear bombs. If God/Jesus wishes to kill people please let him do it with his own power.

As one who is American and has lived in America all my life I can tell you as a fact that that is not going on.

Where did you hear that?

I didn't say it was happening. It is just my concern that with the rise of religious fundamentalism in a country with more weapons than could be used for any sane purpose such a thing could happen. If someone believes in something enough they find a way to make it come true. As for the question of where i heard this there has been many TV programs and news articles about this, including the program i watch last night called "on god's right" which prompted me to bring it up. Here is an article on the topic.

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Trent]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

It is just my concern that with the rise of religious fundamentalism in a country with more weapons than could be used for any sane purpose such a thing could happen. If someone believes in something enough they find a way to make it come true.

lol
Rise in religious fundamentalism?
In America?

Joking?
Or are you serious? I'm sorry but you're sadly mistaken if you're serious.

Btw, that article is so full of (crap) I don't know where to begin with it. Even if anything in that article was true, it certainly wouldn't be a true representation of America.
Fact is there isn't any rise in religious anything in America (especially not anything Chrisian). Quite the opposite. Look at the Christmas shows here...you can't even have Jesus anymore.

Besides any people who believes that they must and can bring about the end of the world, isn't part of a religion...more like a cult.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

(If this is in the wrong thread please move it)

Okay yall now I have a question. For anybody who does NOT live in America or the North American region. What do you think about us? I want your truthful and honest opinions. No hard feelings (if there is any). I just want to know. Do you think we are spoiled? Talk about everything you think I ought to know. I want to know what you think about our government, freedom, products, and the way we handle "terrorism".. Please express your opinions about us. If you would like, please tell me what you think we (The U.S) could do better about our country.

Edit: Sorry but I have to throw this in because of a response I got. This thread is NOT for anybody to fight, and if this thread becomes a fight between americans and non americans, I would like the Mods to delete it. Please keep it nice!

[edit on 2/7/05 by creamsoda]

I am not an American. I am from Europe.

The problem is not with Americans, but with American foreign policy. Simply put, USA (the federal government, not the people) feel like Romans: they are an empire, they own the world, they can do as they please. That's wrong from all sides, as history teaches us.

On the other hand, citizens of the US are just like all other people. Some are good, some are bad. Some are clever, some aren't. The problem is that the establishment/government has formed a sort of 'matrix' for them, shielding them from viewing what's going on. For example, many Americans think that the GW Bush administrator is a democracy and freedom spreading government...this is because Americans, at the base level, are ignorant of history and what goes on outside of their country.

The reason why Americans (and of course others, too) are so a-politic is that the capitalistic culture gives an emphasis on material goods, not on cultural, philosophical and spiritual development.

Of course it is not only USA to blame; the situation is pretty much the same in Europe, in Australia and every place that the 'western' culture has invaded. So the problem is about the 'western' culture, not USA. The mentality of imperialism is derived from Europe; let's not forget that the people that set out to conquer the world were mostly Europeans.

There is no real freedom and democracy in America today. The word 'democracy' comes from the ancient Greek world 'Democratia', which means a state ('cratos') that is governed by the people ('demos'). So democracy means that everyone is capable of being elected, every citizen can be the president. We all know that it is not true. The truth is that USA 's political system is 'oligarchy': a few people with the means to promote themselves and with the right connections are the only ones that can be candidates for presidents.

The US government does not care at all about terrorism. In fact, they enjoy terrorism: it is a great tool for them. They have an excuse for invading any arab country. Arab nations are important for USA, for two reasons:

a) they have the oil. The american dream is based on that.

b) Russia is being slowly surrounded. The cold war is not over yet, in fact, it was never over. It just went undercover.

If we take a look at was has happened in the last few years, we will find the following:

a) 9/11 took place.
b) USA chased OBL.
c) USA invaded Iraq with the excuse of WMDs.
d) USA claims that they were no WMDs.
e) USA blaims Iran that has WMDs.

So I can't say that USA really fights terrorism. They clearly don't. If they were, they would have gone after OBL. That they don't care about OBL any more, as Bush has said, it's clear proof that USA does not care about terrorism at all.

American products are average, to say the least. Once upon a time, they were great. But corporations, in order to get more profit, intentionally lowered the quality of their products, and in the same time, they shipped their production line overseas, lowering the production cost x10 while keeping the prices at the same level. In the meantime, real American patriots lost their jobs.

Of course, most of the above is valid for other countries, too, in varying degree.

The moral of the story is that USA is being slowly destroyed from capitalism. USA become great from free enterprise, but now people have become greedy and slowly suck out of the system every resource that can be sucked.

Money is God!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

This thread is NOT for anybody to fight

What!?! You think that will stop us vicious americans from destroying you and each other?

Mmwwwhhhhhhhaaaaa!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
lol
Rise in religious fundamentalism?
In America?

Joking?
Or are you serious? I'm sorry but you're sadly mistaken if you're serious.

Btw, that article is so full of (crap) I don't know where to begin with it. Even if anything in that article was true, it certainly wouldn't be a true representation of America.
Fact is there isn't any rise in religious anything in America (especially not anything Chrisian). Quite the opposite. Look at the Christmas shows here...you can't even have Jesus anymore.

Besides any people who believes that they must and can bring about the end of the world, isn't part of a religion...more like a cult.

They don't believe they can or will cause the end of the world they believe it is inevitable and they are simply playing out a script of what is already written. This end of time Bible prophecy show reaches 400 million people including my own country and i find some of their views very disturbing. Also that article is only one of many that presents facts on the rise of the religious right in America, as i said there is many documentaries and articles about this including the well research one i watched which made me bring this up. I mean honestly, didn't Bush win the election because of his religious stance on gay marriage among other things. Denying the rights of others because of religious beliefs sounds pretty damn fundamentalist to me!

www.keyofdavid.com...

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Trent]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
I am not an American. I am from Europe.

Which would explain your lack of intelligence

JK!!!!!! Please don't hurt me!!!

But seriously that fact that's you're not American so you have no idea what/how Americans think would explain why your post is so wrong...

The problem is not with Americans, but with American foreign policy. Simply put, USA (the federal government, not the people) feel like Romans: they are an empire, they own the world, they can do as they please. That's wrong from all sides, as history teaches us.

The Romans controlled most of the known world during their time.....
We have Peurto Rico and Guam....
Oh yeah, very similar

The problem is that the establishment/government has formed a sort of 'matrix' for them, shielding them from viewing what's going on. For example, many Americans think that the GW Bush administrator is a democracy and freedom spreading government...

Ignorance not denied.
This is proof you don't know what/how Americans think.

this is because Americans, at the base level, are ignorant of history and what goes on outside of their country.

More proof you don't know what/how Americans think.

The reason why Americans (and of course others, too) are so a-politic is that the capitalistic culture gives an emphasis on material goods, not on cultural, philosophical and spiritual development.

Wow. You got something right!
I guess even a broken clock is right at twice a day eh?

There is no real freedom and democracy in America today. The word 'democracy' comes from the ancient Greek world 'Democratia', which means a state ('cratos') that is governed by the people ('demos'). So democracy means that everyone is capable of being elected, every citizen can be the president. We all know that it is not true. The truth is that USA 's political system is 'oligarchy': a few people with the means to promote themselves and with the right connections are the only ones that can be candidates for presidents.

We live in a Republic....

The US government does not care at all about terrorism. In fact, they enjoy terrorism: it is a great tool for them. They have an excuse for invading any arab country. Arab nations are important for USA, for two reasons:

a) they have the oil. The american dream is based on that.

b) Russia is being slowly surrounded. The cold war is not over yet, in fact, it was never over. It just went undercover.

If we take a look at was has happened in the last few years, we will find the following:

a) 9/11 took place.
b) USA chased OBL.
c) USA invaded Iraq with the excuse of WMDs.
d) USA claims that they were no WMDs.
e) USA blaims Iran that has WMDs.

So I can't say that USA really fights terrorism. They clearly don't. If they were, they would have gone after OBL. That they don't care about OBL any more, as Bush has said, it's clear proof that USA does not care about terrorism at all.

Spoken like a true European who thinks the US's war on terror started post 9/11.....

American products are average, to say the least. Once upon a time, they were great. But corporations, in order to get more profit, intentionally lowered the quality of their products, and in the same time, they shipped their production line overseas, lowering the production cost x10 while keeping the prices at the same level. In the meantime, real American patriots lost their jobs.

Correct again....

The moral of the story is that USA is being slowly destroyed from capitalism. USA become great from free enterprise, but now people have become greedy and slowly suck out of the system every resource that can be sucked.

Money is God!

Umm.....
Hmm.....
No and yes at the same time.

Moral of this post. More wrong that right, but expected from a non American who is spoon fed what they see and read, and not from the experience of actually living in America. Not really a bad thing as they simply don't know.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think a lot of Americans are inexcusably fat from what i seen on TV which reflects their mentality, OTT. I have never been to America but i love the sound of country and western which I think is the best thing America has ever done and probably will do.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
I think a lot of Americans are inexcusably fat from what i seen on TV which reflects their mentality, OTT.

If you were to ever travel there, you would know why. Their portion sizes are enough for 4 people. There is also an abudance of cheap, crappy, fattening food ie: McDonalds, Wendy, etc. It would be cheaper to go to McDonalds than to make a lunch, half the time.

And it's not just the States, this is happening in Canada too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join