It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists made FOOD from the AIR...."MOPED"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Finnish scientists made 1g single-celled protein from air using CO2 and electricity in lab environment with coffee cup sized equipment, production time was 2 weeks. Project name is "MOPED"

All they needed is already there in the air

Google translation

Joint study by Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT) and Technology Research Center VTT has produced the first batch of monolayer protein with electricity and carbon dioxide. The protein thus produced can be developed for animal and human nutrition. The method removes dietary preparation from environmental constraints. Protein can be produced anywhere where renewable energy is obtained, for example, from the sun.

"All raw materials can be practically from the air, which is why technology can be exported to deserts or other areas where there is a great famine in the future." Alternatively, one can also be a home reactor, a kind of home appliance that can be used by the consumer to produce the protein he needs, "says Juha-Pekka Pitkänen from VTT.

Scientists develop protein in addition to food, but also animal feed in the form of feed. Protein produced by electricity can replace animal feed and thus free the land area for other purposes, such as forests. Food can be produced locally where it is needed.

"Compared to conventional agriculture is now being production does not require the environment agriculture growth conditions such as temperature, humidity, or for a given quality of the soil. Thus, we can produce the necessary animal feed in a fully automatic process, for example, the context of the single container plant. The method is not required for plant protection agents. In a closed process uses only the necessary amount, such as fertilizers, nutrients to avoid their from environmental influences such as water run-off or the formation of powerful greenhouse gases "describes Professor Jero Ahola LUT.

Up to 10x energy efficiency

According to preliminary estimates by researchers, the energy efficiency of the sun in the food-to-energy process is up to 10x compared to conventional solar power, for example soybean growth. To make the product more competitive, production needs to be further streamlined. At present, the production of a protein g will take about two weeks in a laboratory with coffee cup sized equipments.

Next, the researchers seek to commencement of pilot production. Piloting phase material to produce sufficient quantities of feed and the development and testing of food products. This would also allow commercial settlement.

"We are now focusing technology development. Reactor concepts, technology, efficiency improvements, and process control, ie renewable energy to control and modeling, so that the microbes grow as much as possible concept has to be developed mass-produced, the price of which will decrease as the technology becomes more common Economics dictates the commercialization of schedule." , Says Ahola.

"Longer-term, electrically-produced protein is to be used in cooking and in products as it is." The nutritious mixture contains more than 50 percent protein, a quarter of carbohydrates and the remaining fatty substances and nucleic acids, "says Pitkänen.

The study links to the large-scale Neo-Carbon Energy research project of LUT and VTT, which develops a fully renewable and emission-free energy system. The Finnish Food Research is funded by the Academy of Finland and the project lasts four years.

VTT

Interesting article, maybe there is hope for the future.
edit on 19-7-2017 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Be a long time to grow a steak at 2 weeks a single cell.

But maybe one day we'll have microwaves that not only cook the food, but extract it from the air!

I'll stick to mushroom soup till then

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'll have a single-cell with cheese.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Amazing! But dont think itll hit the fast food market just yet!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I'll have a single-cell with cheese.

"Sir, the single cells are $1000 each and the cheese will take 4 months to prepare. Also, it's a $300 tip. Thank you, come again!"

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If they can make air as well that'd be ideal

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
One airburger to go...

that will be two million dollars...

Oligarch: Xtra ketchup, please.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Guess we'll be lite eaters...

Ok ATS, give us your best PUNS

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If I am reading this correctly, they created 1 gram of this single celled protein in two weeks using equipment the size of a coffee cup.
Assuming a coffee cup is a 4" x 4" square, you can fit 27 in a 1' x 1' x 1' square. Or 27,000 in a 10' x 10' x 10' room.

That's around 60lbs every two weeks at their current production rate. Not to bad if you ask me.
Someone check my math as I haven't had my coffee yet.
edit on 19-7-2017 by ProjectedLogic because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2017 by ProjectedLogic because: Math and coffee and reasons

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
All they needed is already there in the air

Cool!
Won't be long now

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Manna from heaven?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Plants have been doing this for a while longer and don't require electrical power or a reactor vessel.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

But plants are a lot more delicate and a lot less portable which is why they are talking about this helping out in places of famine and drought.

I wonder how easily this could be adapted to space travel.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Another Star Trek dream is becoming reality! I always thought the replicators would be one of the coolest things to become reality, and now we are almost there!

Well, holodecks would be cool too. And transporters...

Many other things commonly used today were the stuff of sci-fi on Star Trek long ago.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

What can be made from hot air?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Politicians...

Second line

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ProjectedLogic

60lbs / 14 days = 4.28lbs of food per day.

Assuming it had a complex nutrient profile and wasn't JUST protein, that's more than enough to sustain a few lives.

All for the space of one bedroom?

Pretty sweet science.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The majority of the mass of a big, heavy, woody tree comes from....

...AIR!

Not the soil, not the water (although water does play a part), but the woody part of a tree is mostly carbon that was taken out of the air.

If you don't believe me, listen to Richard Feynman (By the way, I LOVE Feynman; the world is much much poorer for losing him, but richer for having him in the first place).

Skip ahead to 2:08 for the relevant tree information:

Another video explaining that woody tree mass comes from the air:

Source + more information:
Trees Come 'From Out Of The Air,' Said Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman. Really?

edit on 19/7/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

That seems to be the goal they have in mind.

"Longer-term, electrically-produced protein is to be used in cooking and in products as it is." The nutritious mixture contains more than 50 percent protein, a quarter of carbohydrates and the remaining fatty substances and nucleic acids, "says Pitkänen.

Imagine being able to create a base feed for animals. Even if the protein itself wasn't entirely suitable for humans it could still be used to raise live stock. I would think the price of beef would be greatly reduced. I wonder if this would be considered Non GMO

If this could be adapted for space, this would greatly help with long travel times such as to mars. The reduction in payload being a major factor. I think they still need to feed the system fertilizer, but technically that would be a "by-product" of eating this in the first place.

One major downside I can see to this....

Tasty wheat anyone?
edit on 19-7-2017 by ProjectedLogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProjectedLogic
a reply to: pteridine

But plants are a lot more delicate and a lot less portable which is why they are talking about this helping out in places of famine and drought.

I wonder how easily this could be adapted to space travel.

This may well be useful in space travel. The needed nutrients, including ammonia, phosphate, and trace elements will be found in human waste products. Every element will be recycled and the net result will be conversion of electrical energy into chemical energy that can be used by the human body. There has to be pretty much a zero-sum game relative to astronaut body weights and bodily composition [fat/bone/muscle/water].
This will be interesting to watch.

<<   2 >>

join