It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to relese 20 million sterile mosquitos

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Reading through this thread makes me concerned..

Anti-science and anti-intellectualism is at an all time high.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It should read !
" Google use a Biochemical warfare delivery system"
witch uses mosquitos to Infect humans with a Mutation agent.

Goggle will Sell to the Highest bidder.
sound like some thing from a james bond movie.

You get Bit by one of those mosquitos!
YOU will Mutate! but in what way????
Only Google and THEM! know whats in it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

It seems more to be mistrust of those that hold the reins, than anything else. And to be fair, I think the mistrust is legit because how many studies have been disproved by new studies? How many scientists claim that they are 'puzzled'? How many studies are manipulated for a desired outcome?

I just read two separate studies confirming this virus is not harmful in any way, am I being naive in believing those studies?
edit on 17CDT09America/Chicago01390931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Czulkang

Even if they are sterile, I have a feeling that life will find a way. (a la Jurassic Park.)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

An effort to stop zika?

That's weird and could cause zika to mutate into something else

Uh, no. Read this link! How do you think they would mutate when the eggs wont hatch????
fortune.com...

Most of the eggs won't hatch.

But, nature is not so easily controlled.

Various creatures are known to have produced offspring without sex.

Also, random mutations in the genetic code can occur during the sex process that enable a freak event where the egg does hatch.

Ether way, we are likely to end up creating a "super mosquito" from this experiment.

One that we cannot control.

The super mosquito will multiply and fill the gap left by the missing normal mosquitoes, since all life is a balance between predator and prey, between animals of one type and their food supply.

So, what we are really doing, is removing all the normal competitor mosquitoes from the environment, giving the abnormal mosquitoes total access to the entire food supply that the normal mosquitoes would have consumed, and there is then nothing to control the multiplication of these abnormal mosquitoes.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't know how to quote members well. On Page 4, MarkOfTheV's point is a concern of mine, too:

I guess if the Wolbachia makes them sterile... that's good... hope they are right because according to this study... it can lead to pesticide resistance... which means we could be making super mosquitos.

And their information source link:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I'm not saying the following will definitely happen. My concern is that for survival of the mosquito's species, the female mosquitoes will evolve into being parthenogenetic and no longer need a male to reproduce.

In reference to stick insects:
Parthenogenesis- stick bug

All the offspring from parthenogenesis are female. So if the female stick insects carry on reproducing alone, the males could be wiped out.

But for now the males still have a fighting chance. They "win sexual conflicts more frequently than females… despite female resistance," the team says.

I think a difference, though, is that with the mosquito experiment, the sterility of males might force the females to evolve into reproducing without males, out of necessity for the survival of their species.

Edit.I wanted to add, too, that I understand the mosquito experiment is using sterile males, so no offspring. My concern is that nature will find a way to compensate for the sterile males.

edit on 2017 7 19 by oldme because: Added an "edit" to my post.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Remember what science deals with.

Science deals with "measurement", it tells us "how" to do things.

It doesn't deal with the questions of "Why" we should "want" to, nor "Whether we should."

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I wonder if this is how the zombie apocalypse begins. Mosquitos sting and transmit diseases.... just... saying.

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

An effort to stop zika?

That's weird and could cause zika to mutate into something else

zing!

Something is off with the release of these mosquitos. The timing of it...
edit on th2017000000Wednesdayth000000Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:19:32 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoWed, 19 Jul 2017 17:19:32 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think it seems brilliant.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MortonBunkum
I think it seems brilliant.

It is brilliant-ISH, until you wonder what came first in every species...the male or the female...the chicken, egg, or rooster?

Somehow all male + female reproductive species have managed to reproduce, despite what came first or whether there was even a male around to facilitate reproduction.

Eh, I still think science doesn't have enough answers to try something like this. Doesn't mean I am anti-science, I'm not. I just recognize that science doesn't have all the answers. Science recognizes evolution and species' instinct to survive...but they don't seem to want answers to some critical questions in consideration of this plan.

What can species do in order to reproduce to survive?

Also, I looked at the partnerships of this effort...I am not confident in the sincerity of their intentions based solely on that.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Of course it is. This is the Trump era. Science? What science?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have to say, the level of talking without even stopping to think in this thread is stunning. There are hundreds of millions of mosquitoes globally. Reducing the population by introducing sterile males is hardly going to threaten their species. How are mutant mosquitoes going to be created if the females mating with the sterile males lay infertile eggs? Do people really think that this approach is more harmful than dumping chemicals into wetlands and spraying them around residential areas?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
I have to say, the level of talking without even stopping to think in this thread is stunning. There are hundreds of millions of mosquitoes globally. Reducing the population by introducing sterile males is hardly going to threaten their species.

Ah, but it could still cause a spontaneous evolutional change. That's how evolution works....it's spontaneous and only shows up in an 'evolved' offspring. Think of all the evolutional changes humans have made in response to their immediate surroundings.

If such a thing even caused ONE spontaneous evolutional change...I think it's worth contemplating how consequential that could be.

There's a worthy debate here. No one should be demeaned as embracing ignorance for defending either side of this debate.

edit on 7/19/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
a reply to: Chadwickus

Of course it is. This is the Trump era. Science? What science?

Trump doesn't need science.

He'll just sign an executive order banning all mosquitoes from settling in the United States.

As long as the Supreme Court doesn't block the order, the mosquitoes are toast, they won't be able to set foot in the country.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The project is called Debug and is lead by Verily Life Sciences, LLC. On July 14, 2017 their first field study, Debug Fresno, started. The announcement, if you want to call it that, can be found here.

In the United States, Verily is currently partnered with MosquitoMate and Consolidated Mosquito Abatement District from Fresno County California. The partnership website, if you want to call it that, currently has very limited information.

In Australia, Verily is partnered with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and James Cook University. The Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation also has a blog.

All the "Sterile Insect Technique" programs being conducted around the world (swipe left once, click on map).

edit on 19-7-2017 by M4ngo because: Included pics

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Trying to track a source down but I read that at that quantity it's impossible that they'll all be sterile, something like 1,000 for every million will possibly still be able to reproduce.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

the fact is they wont live long enough to mate multiple times so by releasing the sterile ones they will hopefully breed with the sterile ones rather than with the non sterile .

Still dont think #ing with nature is a good idea

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What could possibly go wrong. LMFAO!!

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: Gothmog

Um, Men who get Vasectomy's are not able to reproduce, but they can have sex....What strain are you smoking? I need some!!

Men who've had vasectomies and still have sex can also bite the hell out of someone. 20 million more bloodsuckers in the NOW so that we have less later. How much impact is that really gonna have?

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Really? Uhm.. I don't think so

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join