It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to relese 20 million sterile mosquitos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I just read an article on Drudge Report that they're going to release 20 million mosquitoes that are sterile in Southern California and they'll mate with females and the eggs won't hatch and this is an effort to stop zika and other mosquito-borne viruses and illnesses. I don't know how to link stuff but this seems very stupid to me

Source
edit on 7.18.2017 by Zarniwoop because: Added link

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Czulkang

Its pretty simple. They want females to mate with males who can not reproduce. They will do this instinctively with 0 results. It is actually pretty smart!!!! fortune.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

An effort to stop zika?

That's weird and could cause zika to mutate into something else

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Article talked about in OP

There is the article. Why do you think it is stupid?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

An effort to stop zika?

That's weird and could cause zika to mutate into something else

Uh, no. Read this link! How do you think they would mutate when the eggs wont hatch????
fortune.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer

Because the OP did not post the link, and this person did not look it up before they posted....I already gave a link....

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

My post was directed at the OP. There were no other posts when I typed mine up.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
My question is
How does anything mate if it is sterile ? Produce offspring ?
Sounds like a bunch o idiots.
A box of rocks. Without the box...
No , not the skeeters

edit on 7/18/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
Its pretty simple. They want females to mate with males who can not reproduce. They will do this instinctively with 0 results. It is actually pretty smart!!!!

This is a tried and tested solution that predates Google! I think it's called the "sterile insect" approach for biological control.

It has been used in the past on mosquitoes, but also to control tsetse fly (sleeping sickness), fruit flies and screw flies.

Let's hope Google's publicity stunt does some good.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Um, Men who get Vasectomy's are not able to reproduce, but they can have sex....What strain are you smoking? I need some!!

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Its pretty simple. They want females to mate with males who can not reproduce. They will do this instinctively with 0 results. It is actually pretty smart!!!! fortune.com...

In the wise words of Jeff Goldblum:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Sounds like another Brazil incident. Read the back story about Brazil and Zika. It's pretty creepy!

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
My question is
How does anything mate if it is sterile ? Produce offspring ?
Sounds like a bunch o idiots.
A box of rocks. Without the box...
No , not the skeeters

It's not rocket surgery.

The female mosquitoes will have sex with the sterile male mosquitoes and be unable to produce baby mosquitoes. Less mosquitoes means less chance for viruses to spread.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Mosquitoes only have sex once? I mean there will still be fertile male mosquitoes out there for the females to mate with no?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Are mosquito's one companion insects? Can mosquito's tell if another is sterile? I don't know. At least they are trying something.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This approach was suggested decades ago but those with little scientific background and understanding (aka politicians) have shouted it down. Maybe this time the flat-earthers will step aside and let the smart people do their thing. Hell, come release the whole lot in my yard... Please!

edit on 18-7-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer

Perhaps stupid with the wrong word it just scares the # out of me when we start messing with the ecosystem like that I know that we've already done it on many different occasions but do need to keep doing it?

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
ME: Hey Science, I bet you can't do something really stupid that may destroy all life as we know it!

SCIENCE: Hold my beer.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Czulkang
I just read an article on Drudge Report that they're going to release 20 million mosquitoes that are sterile in Southern California and they'll mate with females and the eggs won't hatch and this is an effort to stop zika and other mosquito-borne viruses and illnesses. I don't know how to link stuff but this seems very stupid to me

Source

So they're trying to wipeout the food source of hundreds of insectivorous species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish that rely on them?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Czulkang

Source

Did they not learn with the love bugs. This can only most likely cause some kind of ripple or negative effect. At the least some cause and effects unnaturally to nature will come of it I am sure of it.

Seems like a great idea and I would hope it to work but experience says it will only cause more problems.

Yes I know the rumors of the love bug are myths. The truth being humans still played a role in the creation of love bugs by certain land clearing and habitat destruction. I did a study on this years ago. That unless a cover up movement and projects matched up with most of the migration and breeding that created the love bug.
edit on 18-7-2017 by randomthoughts12 because: addition not subtraction

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join