It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excalibur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hi all.
First post just to say hi.
Excellent site with some great views.
Here goes then. An observation.
Jesus wasnt peirced with a lance, it was a Roman sword, which became a religious artifact of great importance. It was the symbol that led the crusades, adorning the name Excalibur.
What do you think?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
that could be true.. then it couldnt be true... I dont know I wasnt there.. just noticing that you made an "original" statement... LOL, thanx !

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well, if remember from the story Excalibur was given by the lady in the lake. Also I think according to the legend the Holy Grail was also being kept in the vicinity so its possible that if the spear were really a sword that the two traveled together. However, thats a big if and ultimately, a big based on a fictional story that has its own big ifs as to whether or not its based on some sort of reality.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
the sword was welsh and the welsh were clearly pagan at that time just look at their names in the legend

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wasn't that called the Lance of Longinous* because the man who lanced him was named Longinous???I also thought that they found it already, like hitler did or something when he was looking for all of those religious things. I dunno maybe I am thinking of something else.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Wasn't that called the Lance of Longinous* because the man who lanced him was named Longinous???I also thought that they found it already, like hitler did or something when he was looking for all of those religious things. I dunno maybe I am thinking of something else.

You are correct it is know as the Spear of Longinus , The Spear of Destiny or the Holy Lance.

They have one in a museum in Europe that was thought to be the real one but I think it has since been proven to be fake not from the right time. Though the nail that was put in it is from the correct time of Jesus's death.

Im pretty sure the real spear was losted after WW2 and hitler got his hands on it. There are many theories on its fate after that.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Cool, I don't feel quite so "out there" for putting that on since it wasn't even being mentioned thanks for the clarification on that man. Why was hitler going crazy for all of those old relics anyways I never got the point in that.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
High up Nazi's had great interest in the occult as a whole. Relics like the Ark and Spear of Longinus were reported to have tremendous mystical power that could change the outcome of the wars and the fate of men.

The Spear for instance was reported to make whoever owned the spear be the controlling force in world power. I think it was Constantine or Charlemagne that claimed the spear was the reason for all their victories and that their only defeat came when he dropped the spear in battle.

I forgot which one it was as both had the spear and I always mix them up in that account.

So really I think they wanted these relics for the military advantage they could give them. Even if they turned out to have no mystical powers they would still be great for propoganda. They always wanted to make the Nazi history seem legit and important and having such items would help cement that in people minds.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jehova620
Hi all.
First post just to say hi.
Excellent site with some great views.
Here goes then. An observation.
Jesus wasnt peirced with a lance, it was a Roman sword, which became a religious artifact of great importance. It was the symbol that led the crusades, adorning the name Excalibur.
What do you think?

You're getting your mythologies terribly mixed up, I'm afraid.

The original stabbing implement is a spear called The Spear of Longinus... as far as we can tell, the ones that are claimed to be the "true" ones are 10th century fakes.

Excalibur is the legendary sword of King Arthur. It was delivered by the Lady of the Lake and returned to her at Arthur's dying (though he never actually dies as far as we know, but gets carried off to Avalon.) The tales of Excaliber don't show up until about 800 AD.

top topics

join