It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions wants police to take more cash from American citizens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I've already added my two cents in the other thread, so if anybody's interested they can look there for it.

What's interesting to me (and I'm not attempting to turn this into a partisan issue, despite how it will appear) is the lack of our resident Trump-ers flooding in to either this thread or the other one, trying to tell us how great this really is and how people just don't understand, fake news, CNN, Clinton, etc.

When Obama was in office, everything Holder and Lynch did was linked back to Obama. Rightfully so, I believe. The AG answers to the President, so "the buck stops there." But it's almost eerily quiet when Sessions does something like this, or likens weed to heroin.

Odd, that.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have no problem at all with police confiscating the assets of convicted drug dealers.
They should be forced to donate the money to charity though.
But like every other rule or law somebody always abuses the system.

Better reread this post.....this is not about anyone being convicted. Asset forfeiture and seizure is about not charging you with a crime and yet taking your money. This has been going on since the '80s and now Sessions wants to ramp this up. This should be totally illegal !

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You may or may not have noticed, but I happen to write a lot of threads about Sessions. One of the things I've noticed about these threads is that many Trump supporters don't like him too. And the ones who do only like him because of his stance on illegals. So when I write these threads, what I've noticed is that I'll usually get bi-partisan agreement against the issue I'm bringing to light. Only one thread I wrote about Sessions broke that mold and turned into a partisan slug fest (a pro-pot one at that...). I'm not sure what happened there, but usually it doesn't go like that.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
listverse.com...

This is only the tip of the iceberg. I smell swamp water. And I don't trust cops. But that's another topic entirely.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

We don't trust you, either. You shifty-eyed son of a gun.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Can they take Johnson and Johnson over since corporations are people or are the assets also people? I am cofused about corporations as people.

Also is Johnson and Johnson being a family company mean it also a group of people? Just family folks who like to sell opiates to other families.

Or is it an impossible paradigm to prosecute the actual sources of drug epidemics?
edit on 18-7-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

For me it has nothing to do with politics or the man himself...its his actions on a lot, but not all, things he is pushing for.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I've already added my two cents in the other thread, so if anybody's interested they can look there for it.

What's interesting to me (and I'm not attempting to turn this into a partisan issue, despite how it will appear) is the lack of our resident Trump-ers flooding in to either this thread or the other one, trying to tell us how great this really is and how people just don't understand, fake news, CNN, Clinton, etc.

When Obama was in office, everything Holder and Lynch did was linked back to Obama. Rightfully so, I believe. The AG answers to the President, so "the buck stops there." But it's almost eerily quiet when Sessions does something like this, or likens weed to heroin.

Odd, that.

There's no way to spin Sessions in a positive light. That guy is a nasty piece of work, against states rights, against individual liberty, invested in the prison industrial complex, and a thief. He's anti-constitution on a LOT of fronts. He's definitely the dark side of the Trump admin. Honest conservatives shouldn't like him any more than liberals do.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

For me it has nothing to do with politics or the man himself...its his actions on a lot, but not all, things he is pushing for.

Yeah and his actions are what I keep going on about. I don't even need the racist narrative the left tried to push against him during the election and leading up to his confirmation. He does more than enough on his own to make you hate him without it.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This is easy! Bring on more and more civil forfeiture!
The same way the "occasional" (albeit extremely rare) person gets mistakenly convicted of a crime and serves jail time, there will be the occasional time when this doesn't go perfectly. However, the vast majority of the times it goes exactly as planned - criminals lose their stuff. That's how it should be. The more, the merrier, and let's deal with the minority of mistakes as they occur.

This is just another whining post. A tiny, tiny fraction of the time something goes wrong, so we should stop doing it altogether. Right? Sick of these posts...For every "forfeiture gone wrong" there are thousands that go right. We need more of it. Good call by Jeff Sessions.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

HM...

Username checks out...

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

So you don't agree with the 4th Amendment then and people should have their stuff stolen by the state just because it THINKS they are guilty?
edit on 18-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Maybe when he got his car stolen, they kicked his ass and convinced him that he deserved to have it stolen, and that's colored his thinking on "property seizure" ever since.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

a reply to: Bluntone22

Yes but they need to be convicted!

Problem is the police are not waiting for the due process part and confiscating assets first.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Things like this drives a bigger wedge between people and police ... i do not care if they are criminals u still must prove it first ... u could literaly catch them in the act on tape with 300k witnesses there still needs to be a trial before punishment

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Can't say I hate him, however I think he is very outdated in many of his beliefs and that tends to fuel a lot of decisions that I don't agree with. A lot of what he learned through out his life was misinfo or plain out propaganda from our government...reminds me of things my grandparents say that is blatenly wrong, but they just can't shake it because its so ingrained.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
As 2016, the police in Oklahoma can scan your bank card and seize those assets if they have suspicion of criminal activity. It will probably be used in other states as well.

Imagine taking a vacation trip and being stop by police who claim they smell cannabis, scan your bank card and take all the money out of your account.

This is very wrong.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

When Obama was in office these same people that are supporting Trump and lambasting the OP, were crying about how unconstitutional the practice is, which it is, but now... Well now, Trump's boy is saying let the cops confiscate even more property for their slush funds when someone is simply suspected of a crime, and now it alright.

I would have thought some of their heads would explode with the conflict, but nah... They'll justify it instead.

This is yet another reason hyper-partisan people are totally irrational on political or policy issues. It's just like many of my liberal brethren who were "activists" against war and the Patriot Act when Bush Jr. was in office, then most were mysteriously silent under Obama. Most, not all.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
As 2016, the police in Oklahoma can scan your bank card and seize those assets if they have suspicion of criminal activity. It will probably be used in other states as well.

Imagine taking a vacation trip and being stop by police who claim they smell cannabis, scan your bank card and take all the money out of your account.

This is very wrong.

Again I'll say considering the recent developments in Minnesota, better they take your money than to have your bank card suddenly make a 'loud noise' and you end up with 6 oz. of lead in your stomach.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
a reply to: kurthall

Yes his stance on pot is what is really going to fix America.....

Fix us in a Corporate-Feudal-Criminal Industrial Complex for at least 4 years.
Who gets qualified as drug "dealers" ?
The guy selling crack by the pound ?
The guy selling a joint to a friend ?
Those who make big bank selling hard drugs I can see them losing the proceeds of those sales.
Yet the open-ended interpretation many police and judges may well end up screwing thousands of regular people.
Shame is I used to respect Sessions but he has failed to go after the big criminals, especially in government yet now he finds it easier to go after the little guy with the new War On Opiates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join