It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Justine Damond shot dead by US police in Minneapolis

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

Now he has failed in one of his task by possibly wrongly taking the life of a citizen

From my research he has not take the life of a US citizen but an Australian citizen.
She had a right to due process. Even if suspected of committing any infraction.

On a more philosophical level Australian are allies of the US; when there is an unjustifiable death of a foreign national, should be it be considered an act of hostility or even an act of war against Australia? After all the Police I presume take an oath to unphold the US Constitution I am seeking some scholarly opinion as to this dilemma.

scholarship.law.georgetown.edu...

Given this record, it is not surprising that many members of the general public presume that noncitizens do not deserve the same rights as citizens. II But the presumption is wrong in many more respects than it is right. While some distinctions between foreign nationals and citizens are normatively justified and consistent with constitutional and international law, most are not.

The significance of the citizen/noncitizen distinction is more often presumed than carefully examined. Upon examination, there is far less to the distinction than commonly thought. In particular, foreign nationals are generally entitled to the equal protection of the laws, to political freedoms of speech and association, and to due process requirements of fair procedure where their lives, liberty, or property are at stake.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Has anyone heard the cops side of the story yet?.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Has anyone heard the cops side of the story yet?.

Not yet, they are still creating it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

No, he is refusing to give his story..pretty f'ing fishy if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Indeed he is refusing to give a statement and they cannot force him to.

He fired across his partner. Surely HE can give a good account of what transpired !!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I say string him up with or without one. Hopefully he strangles and thinks good and hard about what he did that got him there before he takes his leave. This is a fantasy, of course and much better treatment than he deserves.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

The partner has given a statement..as he should, I'm guessing it's along the lines of "I don't know WTF happened or why he shot her"(just my guess)
And indeed the shooter does not have to give a statement, now if you or I shot someone and refused to provide an account, I have no doubt whatsoever we would be charged with something and jailed, and then it would be sorted out in court.
edit on 19-7-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
No surprise really, sad but not surprising, the gun culture has a certain percentage of collateral damage that cannot be avoided.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So the fact that citizens have guns is excuse for trigger happy and basically useless cops to murder them? If anything it was a 'fireworks culture' that did her in, or how about a 'dickhead cop culture'? I'd even go so far as to call this a race hate crime or something along those lines because this murderer seemingly has issues stemming from dislike of others stemming from his own.

This incident is a game changer in many ways and not all within the USA - this is a huge deal outside of the country just as fyi for anyone not following it.

Perhaps, if we're lucky, the murderous cop will kill himself and it will go horribly wrong and he will endure pain. He deserves it and it will be a mercy to the rest of us that we don't share the place with him anymore.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Azureblue

the lady must have been somebody

She was a somebody who called the police and was killed for her troubles .

Yes, I have gathered that it seems the cops in the US should be avoided at all costs, at least in many parts of the country. Trouble is, if this behaviour is condoned by govt in many parts of the US, its just a matter of time for it to spread everywhere.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
First post in a while, I understand different departments have different body and dash cam standards, however that policy needs to stop. The officer wearing the body cam and in the car with the dash cam should not be able to turn them on or off, this should be done at the station only. If you are involved in an officer shooting and your camera is off or "damaged", you are immediately liable. I'm getting seriously tired of seeing these shootings, regardless of the race of the officer or person being shot, and seeing "The body camera was not turned on". That should not be any excuse, period. Even if your shooting is a good shooting, if that camera is off and it's not determined to be a technical malfunction (determined by an impartial third party that has no vested interest in police affairs), you're charged with tampering of evidence and obstruction if nothing else.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Minneapolis police officers identified in fatal shooting of Australian woman

911 tapes will be released as soon as the family has a chance to hear them.

Matthew Harrity, who has been with the Minneapolis Police Department for one year, and Mohamed Noor, who has been with the department for 21 months, were the responding officers to the scene after Justine Maia Ruszczyk called 911 to report a possible assault near her home, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety announced in a press release Tuesday night.

Harrity was driving the squad car, while Noor was in the passenger seat, according to the DPS. As they neared Ruszczyk's home, Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the car, after which Ruszczyk immediately approached the driver's side, Minnesota DPS said.

Noor then fired his weapon, striking Ruszczyk through the driver's side window, which was open, according to the DPS. The officers provided medical assistance to Ruszczyk until EMS arrived, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

A white male is being sought for questioning who was in the area at the time of the incident.

Some things to note -
* - Aside from natural causes, accidental and / or suicide a persons cause of death will be listed as a homicide, even if the shooting is justified. Criminals sentenced to death are also listed as a homicide when they are executed.

* - Some officers, when in a car and approached by someone on foot who makes it to the window / door before an officer can get out of the car, will draw their weapons and position it so it can be discharged but not necessarily seen by the person approaching them for officer / public safety.

An internal affairs investigation has been started in addition to the criminal investigation.

The department implemented their body camera program about 8 months ago so not all officers have them yet. These 2 officers did but they weren't activated. The Mayor finds that problematic however we don't know what type they use and under what criteria they are required to be activated. The assistant chief stated the policies in place regarding the cameras will be reviewed and updated if needed.

The current policy has not been released / explained by the department.

As for the officer who fired his weapon --

Harrity was interviewed by investigators Tuesday, but Noor declined to be interviewed, the DPS said. The Minnesota DPS Bureau of Criminal Apprehension cannot compel Noor to testify, and Noor's attorney did not provide clarification on when, if ever, an interview will take place.

He has a lawyer and right now they are waiting to see if he will allow an interview.
edit on 19-7-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Before we get a rope and look for a tall tree we need to know what type of cameras they use. As you stated there are different types, which also includes various media types - like tapes or digital. How they record / when they are activated / on all the time depends on the type of camera and the storage limitations. We also need to keep in mind that just because a body / dash cam is capable of continuous recording it doesnt mean the department was able to afford that as an option (these things arent cheap and continuous recording requires large storage setups). Keep in mind also the size of the department, how many officers are on shift at any one time etc.

Most departments have policies (and some states have laws / court rulings) on who can access the cameras. Usually (in general) its restricted to evidence officers / supervisors (in general / depending on state / agency size etc).

The above applies to both, body cams and dash cams.

as for being immediately liable if the camera is off / damaged - no thanks. Like guns, and everything else made by man, technology can fail. Secondly some deadly force situations occur in the blink of an eye and while I understand the desire to record it, the primary concern will be the threat and not the record button. Not all deadly force encounters occur in a predictable manner.

Just because an officer is dispatched to debris in the roadway doesnt mean thats what he will find when he gets there. People will call in low priority complaints, like debris in the roadway, just to get an officer on scene, at which point the ambush occurs. i can think of many scenarios where an officer would not need to activate his dash cam / body cam.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GusMcDangerthing

I don't find it acceptable at all, at some point though you have to face the reality that in the U. S most people are armed and they love it, there is always going to be collateral damage when guns are the norm, cops, especially rookies will be extremely jumpy knowing that criminals have guns too. It takes big balls and training to face danger in the eye without taking some preemptive action.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It is not collateral damage, it is outright murder and this police officer is going to have to pay for his crime because this has gone global. Shooting duckling-saving Australian ladies in their pyjamas? This is not simply murder, this is a game changer and will rightly disrupt diplomatic relations, tourism and casue even further public anti-police sentiment. In short, this is a # up of gigantic proportions.

Let's not even discuss it, let's just remove this scum from the earth and do it painfully so that he pays.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

It wont disrupt diplomatic relations. Both countries have the rule of law and due process. Not to mention similar laws on officers use of force and how its reviewed.

Why not wait for the investigationS to be resolved first?
edit on 19-7-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This seems suspicious to me.

Justine Damond hears noises around her house, gets scared, and calls cops.

Cops arrive with cameras turned off.

Officer driving car says he heard a loud noise. Can he identify what the loud noise was?

Then Justine Damond approaches the cop on the driver side.

Then the cop on the passenger side shoots and kills Justine Damond and refuses to testify why he fired his gun.

Justine Damond was a spiritual healer.

I would have thought, conspiracy minded folks might be inclined to point out there have been a lot of suspicious deaths of spiritual healers, like lots of folks here point out suspicious deaths of people involved with the Clintons.

Here is a well documented blog showing suspicious deaths of spiritual healers.

www.thrivemovement.com...

Wondering if anyone has further thoughts, or might be able too add to any key details I missed?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

It wont disrupt diplomatic relations. Both countries have the rule of law and due process. Not to mention similar laws on officers use of force and how its reviewed.

Why not wait for the investigations to be resolved first?

It's already at that point, the Australian Prime Minister is involved now. I don't mean it will disrupt them in a massive way, I mean and as I have said, this is a gigantic # up of proportions which killing an innocent American citizen would not accomplish.

Can there be an investigation when the murderer is not compelled to give a statement? As for this due process you seem fond of - where is that for Justine Damond? No, no investigation. I want this pig's head on a spike and that's pretty much where it better end or there will be trouble.
edit on 19-7-2017 by GusMcDangerthing because: spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
When do we get to hear the logic for killing an innocent unarmed Aussie Lady in a dressing gown ?

Do they wait for a juicier story to unfold ; relegating this to the old news-no one cares dept. ?

This needs to be expediated before Trump does something to get the attention back on himself.

pfft ... If this was a US woman killed by an Aussie cop I am sure diplomatic pressure would demand the Cop face trial, where silence is deemed unacceptable.
edit on 19-7-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Just like in Australia, the accused doesnt have to provide a statement against self interest. Secondly there is a witness to the incident - the other cop and he as given a statement / been interviewed.

Her due process rights werent violated (administration of justice). Now, her civil rights on the other hand, most likely were. In the US an officer shooting / killing someone is a technical seizure under the 4th amendment.

We need more info.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join