It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Justine Damond shot dead by US police in Minneapolis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The news in St. Louis said that the cop who shot the woman had lived in St. Louis previously. He is supposedly of Somalian ancestry.

Officer who shot

edit on 17-7-2017 by feldercarb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
a reply to: Greven

Why haven't 'whites' stepped up to decry the shootings of innocent 'whites' by cops?

Because the issue is really non existent. The amount of shootings that are actually "bad" are few and far between. Not gonna get all mad and crazy over something that rarely happens.

Really or is the amount played down because people agree the White person that was killed was a drug addict, mentally ill, etc., and that gives justification.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Obviously the action of a terrorist supporting state.

The US should pay reparations.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I find it odd that out of 3 cameras nom of them got anything.

If bodycams can be switched off by an officer, and were off in this case, then I think you should automatically default to homicide charges.

If for no other reason than no officer would ever turn off the cams again.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

Thanks for the reply, here's more info-kinda.
You mentioned about opening the door triggers the camera. The source says "shot through the driver's side door", which doesn't clarify if the window is open or he opened the door or actually shot through it(doubtful) here:

The Star Tribune, citing three people with knowledge of the shooting it did not name, said the officers pulled into the alley in a squad car, and Damond talked to the driver. The newspaper's sources said the officer in the passenger seat shot Damond through the driver's-side door. A BCA spokeswoman did not return messages seeking to confirm that account.

Wonder if he opened the car door did he then turn off the camera?

Also from the source:

It's not clear why the officers' body cameras were not turned on. The department has phased in body cameras for all of its officers over the last year. Department policy allows for a range of situations in which officers are supposed to turn cameras on, including "any contact involving criminal activity" and before use of force. If a body camera is not turned on before use of force, it's supposed to be turned on as soon as it's safe to do so.

Once the investigation is complete, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman would decide whether to charge the officer. Freeman would not comment on the broader case Monday, but said both officers likely should have turned on their body cameras as they were approached by Damond in an alley.
Source

In that situation then it should have been turned on before he shot.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Wonder if a security camera anywhere caught this, if even not directly facing the situation, as it might help evidence wise.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

You do know that body cams don't record all the time, they turn them off to save battery power for when they actually need to use them.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: caf1550

You do know that body cams don't record all the time, they turn them off to save battery power for when they actually need to use them.

Seems counter productive. Still, turning them on in the vehicle on the way to a call, then off leaving the scene seems prudent. Why were they not on?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Honestly in today's day and age your average bullet will penetrate a car door very easily, it is actually no longer a practice to hide behind car doors during a shoot out, the likelihood of the door stopping a round is very slim, the safest place is behind the tire.

So body cams are like all electronics, they run off batteries you either have to charge or change hence why they don't have them running 24hrs a day. Like I stated earlier, the cameras were probably off (dash cam in this case) because either the officer driving hadn't activated the lights and sirens, or failed to ever breach his door. As for the body cameras they might have been off because they never thought they would be in a potential use of force situation. Hopefully in the next few days and weeks we start to see a lot more of the evidence so we are able to draw a better picture and conclusion of what transpired before the fatal shots were fired.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Thanks for the update.

Another source is saying three complains in two years, one marked to not be made public?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Seems counter productive. Still, turning them on in the vehicle on the way to a call, then off leaving the scene seems prudent. Why were they not on?

Like I have stated several times now, body cams are like any other piece of electronics that have batteries that need to be charged or replaced. Most departments if not all have policy in place that state when cameras are mandated to be turned on, usually before making any felony arrest. As for these officers cameras they might not have believed they would be making a felony arrest for this situation, but instead the unthinkable happened and someone's life was taken, now I am in no way justifying what transpired but I will hold my opinion until more evidence is presented.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Like I have stated several times now, body cams are like any other piece of electronics that have batteries that need to be charged or replaced. Most departments if not all have policy in place that state when cameras are mandated to be turned on, usually before making any felony arrest. As for these officers cameras they might not have believed they would be making a felony arrest for this situation, but instead the unthinkable happened and someone's life was taken, now I am in no way justifying what transpired but I will hold my opinion until more evidence is presented.

I'm aware of how electronics work and frankly I don't give a damn.

Given whats on the line and such a sensitive topic.

"It runs on batteries" isn't good enough.

A larger battery pack, replaceable pack or whatever is needed.

It really is for the officers protection as much as anyone else's. Obviously, given this situation, the current state of use isn't good enough.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Another update:

Source

Justine Damond was talking to the other officer(Harrity) when it happened:

“Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources confirmed. No weapon was found at the scene,” the Star Tribune reported.

One news report said that Harrity was allegedly “stunned” when Noor opened fire on Damond, who was struck multiple times and was holding a cell phone. A 2016 city newsletter welcomed Harrity as a community service officer. “According to police sources, Noor shot across his partner and out the window of the squad car, striking Damond. When Noor opened fire, his partner was ‘stunned,'” reported KARE11.

----
About the complaint on officer Noor

Noor had three complaints on his file, with one being dismissed and two open. He also has a pending federal lawsuit in which a retired social worker alleges he and other officers wrongfully committed her to a hospital after she called 911 to report a drug crime and other issues. Heavy has filed an open records request with the state seeking details of the other complaints.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

And who would you have foot the bill for larger costlier batteries, the average tax payer because thats who will. I wasn't attempting to attack your intelligence I was merely just pointing out that these cameras run just like any other electronics equipment. Well there are many times when an officer is more concerned about the safety of the general public over whether their body cam is on, that split second of making sure your camera is on can be a matter of life or death for an officer and a civilian alike.

Electronics also fail all the time, now i'm not using that as a defense for what happened here but like I have stated you have to wait for the evidence to be presented before casting judgement, this is still America where you are innocent until proven guilty.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I cannot believe that this officer shot across his partners chest, and through a car door. The stupidity there is amazing. I recently became a Firearms instructor for the department I work for and I would NEVER instruct officers or new recruits to do this unless you are actively being fired upon and are doing it strictly to create space to get out of the cruiser and find better protection.

Now the only thing I can maybe think of is this officer who fired the fatal shots for some reason though the cell phone was a weapon (whether he thought is was a knife or handgun) but I always train people to "check hands" and make sure what you are thinking you are seeing is actually that. Again this does not look like a good situation for the officer who fired the fatal shots, body cam footage or not he is probably going to be doing some time for this.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Justine Damond,

From OP link, Justine had called the police because she heard some strange noise in the alley:

Family of Damond say she initially called 911 after hearing a noise in a back alley.
She was killed by Officer Mohamed Noor, here is a pic of him and his family from FB:

Noor joined the Minneapolis Police Department in March of 2015 and was later celebrated as the first Somali officer for the 5th Precinct. He graduated from Augsburg College in 2011 with a degree in business administration.

Here's the shocking part:

According to police sources, Noor shot across his partner and out the window of the squad car, striking Damond. When Noor opened fire, his partner was "stunned," according to the source.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman

says both officers should have switched on their cameras when they were approached by Damond in the alley.

They didn't have the dashcam of the squad car activated either. Strange. But is sounds like she may have been waiting for them in the alley. Their headlights would have picked up a woman in pj's.....or should have. It is noted that there were no weapons found at the scene. It's also noted that Officer Mohamed Noor has three prior complaints against him.

This is from another site:

Sources identified Noor's partner on the scene, who did not fire any shots, as officer Matthew Harrity, 25, who earned his peace officer's license last year. A spokeswoman for the BCA confirmed there was no weapon found at the scene, creating even more mystery about how Damond's call to police ended in one of the responding officers fatally shooting her. A source said Damond's cellphone was found near her body.

***SNIP***

Just before 11:30 p.m. Saturday, Damond, 40, called 911 to report a possible assault occurring in an alley near her home between Washburn and Xerxes avenues S., in the Fulton neighborhood. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver's side door of the responding squad and was talking to the officer, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the case. Moments later, Noor shot across his partner from the passenger's seat, killing Damond.
www.startribune.com...
The bolding is mine.

The medical examiner is calling it a homicide. Justine was shot in the stomach.

And this is one reason I keep stating that officers in pairs should consist of a well seasoned officer and a newer officer. Two newer officers together seem to have more problems.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Officer who make these deadly mistakes (if it was a mistake) should be banned from law enforcement. Major performance failure.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This is the problem I have with BLM, they always say blacks are systematically being targeted by police yet they ignored that whites are also victims of police brutality too.

In fact there was one incident a few years ago where a white boy was shot by the police while he was holding a wii remote.

BLM are justified in their views though because when they get shot, police were doing their job, but when a white woman is shot suddenly people are up in arms about trigger happy police.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This is the problem I have with BLM, they always say blacks are systematically being targeted by police yet they ignored that whites are also victims of police brutality too.

In fact there was one incident a few years ago where a white boy was shot by the police while he was holding a wii remote.

BLM are justified in their views though because when they get shot, police were doing their job, but when a white woman is shot suddenly people are up in arms about trigger happy police.

I don't see whites rioting in the streets or burning down their own neighborhood, do you?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Honestly in today's day and age your average bullet will penetrate a car door very easily, it is actually no longer a practice to hide behind car doors during a shoot out, the likelihood of the door stopping a round is very slim, the safest place is behind the tire.

Are you telling us that there exist no Kevlar lining basic protection in police car doors, or that practically everybody now carry armor piercing bullets in their hand gun?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join